A Little Disappointed in HAP40

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: A Little Disappointed in HAP40

Post by Doc Dan »

Wow! I have bent blades, but they were much thinner than the Delica. How did that happen? I use mine for all sorts of things and I have never had an issue. (I have not cut down any trees by slicing like I have with my 110's, however).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I use wire cutters to cut zip ties, much safer that way. I agree that the two Delicas are either too thick or too thin for me. I would like to see one more like the Native, perhaps as a replacement for the sabre grind. I like the current FFG, but I'm not completely confident of its durability.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Ryno wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Please don't ruin the Delica and make it thicker. There are plenty of thicker blades. Why make one of the few really thin knives thicker? Just carry a Caly3 then. I cut zip ties and pallet strapping all the time with a Delica in VG10, SB and Hap40 without issue. The Super Blue Delica has a 20 degree bevel on it and it gets used pretty hard at work without issue. I carry my VG10 Delica backpacking and it has done a ton of woodcarving without issue. I wish there was a 3.5 inch bladed knife that came as thin as the Delica. If I could get a Stretch that thin I would be in heaven.

Sorry OP for the tangent. I have carried a Hap40 Delica a lot since they came out and cut a ton of very heavy pallet strapping with it and my edge has held up great. I wish I could help more. Something seems amiss.
It does seem amiss. I sharpened out the damage earlier today. I'll keep at it and see if it happens again.
I wonder if there was a mishap in the laminating process, and there's no HAP40 in that area. Is that even possible?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

A lot of unknown variables floating around. Type of zip tie, method of cut etc.

I would have thought HAP40 would chip rather than roll. Haven't pushed my Delica far enough to see ;)

Not enough information to form an opinion on the OP's blade.

I remember when the stock Delica was 3mm saber ground. It was fairly rugged. I embraced the 2.5mm FFG version because it's a much better slicer. The change was made because of popular demand.

Wherever the wind blows ;) ;)

Charlie
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4 in conjunction with whatever folder I'm carrying. Last week I was trying to cut a moderately thick zip tie with my Military CRUWEAR and was getting nowhere. I pulled out my PS4 and snipped it in about 2 seconds. Wire cutters are definitely the way to go.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Holzfaeller wrote:I use wire cutters to cut zip ties, much safer that way. I agree that the two Delicas are either too thick or too thin for me. I would like to see one more like the Native, perhaps as a replacement for the sabre grind. I like the current FFG, but I'm not completely confident of its durability.
ejames13 wrote:I carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4 in conjunction with whatever folder I'm carrying. Last week I was trying to cut a moderately thick zip tie with my Military CRUWEAR and was getting nowhere. I pulled out my PS4 and snipped it in about 2 seconds. Wire cutters are definitely the way to go.
Yup...beat me to it. I always carry a mini Leatherman or something with mini wire snips for zip ties. Much safer and better tool for the job.

I'm also a fan of hefty utility scissors for those evil hard plastic clamshell packages. (Yes, I know that serrated hawkbills can open them, but I prefer taking 30 seconds to grab a pair of scissors to save myself a potential trip to the urgent care and two weeks of Steri-Strips! :) )
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

StuntZombie wrote:[
I wonder if there was a mishap in the laminating process, and there's no HAP40 in that area. Is that even possible?
The lamination line an a slight patina are evident on the blade so there's 2 unlike metals in there.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:I am just surprised you guys cut zip ties with those folding paring knives known as FFG Delica. Too thin for that kinda thing to me. Would be a great tomato slicer though. That model needs beefier stock for my EDC chores
You kidding? Its a zip tie. I cut through them with any and all of my knives with zero issue. Vic classic,opinel, spyderco spin reprofiled to ~10dps etc. Should be trivial for a delica or endura.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Agreed, some zip ties are worse than others, but it wouldn't be considered hard use to cut one.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am a little surprised. Have been using my HAP40 Delica and haven't seen this. It is the thinest bladed Delica that I own and have only cut some lightweight plastic strapping, clamshell packaging and cardboard with no issues. It came sharp and all I did was put a 30 degree inclusive microbevel on it with the SharpMaker. I will keep a closer eye on mine.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:I am just surprised you guys cut zip ties with those folding paring knives known as FFG Delica. Too thin for that kinda thing to me. Would be a great tomato slicer though. That model needs beefier stock for my EDC chores
You kidding? Its a zip tie. I cut through them with any and all of my knives with zero issue. Vic classic,opinel, spyderco spin reprofiled to ~10dps etc. Should be trivial for a delica or endura.
Not all zip ties are the same. Where I work they are bombproof. Right tool for the job for me and the FFG D4 is the bare minimum for a job like that. Any thinner and you are in box cutter territory. Again, the new Native 5 in FFG is enough thicker to inspire confidence and slice very well. The Superleaf was FFG, sliced well enough for EDC but apparently some guys here are sashimi chefs, and was 4mm thick. All FFGs slice good enough for EDC but the thin ones are a bit bendy for me personally
vivi

Post by vivi »

In certain cutting applications I agree, something 2mm like a Centofante might bend laterally some. But zip ties is one cutting task I've never personally had that happen with. I've used Spydercos at some overnight warehouse gigs in my younger days and cut all manner of reinforced pallet straps with Delicas, Militarys, Spins etc.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I have the Delica and the Dragonfly in HAP-40, and have not had any similar issues. I did roll the edge on the Delica, but I am 100% sure that I caused that. I was helping to open a pallet of goods contained in stapled cardboard that was then shrink-wrapped, and between the cardboard and the staples it got a little turned. However, even then, I put the knife through a very minimal touch-up and it was back to super sharp. And when I say minimal, I mean on a Sharpmaker with 10 strokes/side on the mediums and probably 20/side on the fines, and then a few strokes on a green-compound strop.
The Dragonfly has had 0 issues, and I've used it pretty hard, and the Delica has been perfect ever since. I'm sure I hit a staple or something that first time, because I've used the Delica pretty hard since and it's never given me any problems like this.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Centofante3 and 4 lack the ffg and distal taper of the Delica. They actually seem a little more rigid to me than the Delica. Now the Chaparral is 2mm and ffg with a distal taper. I carry a Chaparral all the time and haven't bent the blade yet.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Centofante3 and 4 lack the ffg and distal taper of the Delica. They actually seem a little more rigid to me than the Delica. Now the Chaparral is 2mm and ffg with a distal taper. I carry a Chaparral all the time and haven't bent the blade yet.
Ditto to Chaparral.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2