Any interest in a Kiwi 4 with some belly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Kiwi 4 with a belly?

Yep!
37%
Nope!
63%

Total votes: 30

Evil D

Any interest in a Kiwi 4 with some belly?

Post by Evil D »

Anyone who knows me knows I love my wharnie blades, a LOT. But, I don't mind a little belly either. I can't say I'm a fan of blades like the Lionspy, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving the Kiwi 4 about as much belly as a Delica or Manix 2. With it being a nod to traditional folders, I think blade options make sense and I think it would appeal to more people and be more versatile. I wouldn't change the rest of the blade shape or anything else, just extend the edge down a bit and give it a gentile curve to the edge.

Discuss.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Re: Any interest in a Kiwi 4 with some belly?

Post by paladin »

voted yes, throw on some jigged bone covers or even CF laminate...just lose the peel ply G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm certainly not opposed to fancier handles, but that's a whole other topic itself. I've been begging for a rounded and polished version since the concept came out, and I'd be equally interested in the same in stainless. I'm down for bolsters and inlays and all that stuff, but one request at a time..
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I voted yes as well. The Kiwi 4 platform is very worthy of a variation featuring more belly, IMHO. This might change the depth of the current back-spacer (I like back-spacers ;))but that would be an easy fix.

My *only* other request would be to make it full screw-together construction vs. partial screwed and pinned. Screw-together allows for easier handle scale mods down the road. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

SpyderNut wrote: My *only* other request would be to make it full screw-together construction vs. partial screwed and pinned. Screw-together allows for easier handle scale mods down the road. :D
Works for me...YES!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:I voted yes as well. The Kiwi 4 platform is very worthy of a variation featuring more belly, IMHO. This might change the depth of the current back-spacer (I like back-spacers ;))but that would be an easy fix.

My *only* other request would be to make it full screw-together construction vs. partial screwed and pinned. Screw-together allows for easier handle scale mods down the road. :D
I'm not sure it would change much to add a small amount of belly. As for the pins, they're here to stay. Sal has mentioned in the past that pins have an advantage when making very thin knives and going to screws would likely require a totally different design. We've had this discussion about the Caly 3 in the past.
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Nice concept :)

Would probably have to be a complete redesign to accommodate the extra blade width. Might make the handle a bit less narrow. It night take away more of the original "kiwiness" than the Kiwi4 already does.

Then again I could be wrong, the Wharnie Urban seemed to turn into the Leaf Urban pretty well :)

I would make a model of my own Kiwi to gauge if I could. That would give some of the answers.

Charlie
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, the only question is whether it would be physically possible to put enough belly in the blade so it didn't just look like a wharncliffe sharpened by someone who has no business being within ten feet of a sharpening stone. I'm thinking no, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong then pretty much any scale material would be fine as long as the surface isn't peel ply textured.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:For me, the only question is whether it would be physically possible to put enough belly in the blade so it didn't just look like a wharncliffe sharpened by someone who has no business being within ten feet of a sharpening stone. I'm thinking no, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong then pretty much any scale material would be fine as long as the surface isn't peel ply textured.

I'm shocked you haven't had one modded by now. I rounded and polished the scales on mine and it wasn't really difficult. A better skilled knife maker than me wouldn't have a hard time making bolsters and inlays for this knife and pinning it all together.
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

I voted no. If the only change is a slight blade shape change, then I wouldn't buy another one. I was a little disappointed with the current Kiwi 4 and would prioritize upgraded steel and/or scales before a change to the blade shape.
harronek

Post by harronek »

My problem with he Kiwi 4 is not the blade , but the handle ergonomics .
It just doesn't work for my hands .
It's a shame because I wanted to like it , it sits in the drawer and I revisit it every couple
of months in a hopeful attempt to convince myself to embrace it .
Hasn't happened yet .

Ken
timlara

Post by timlara »

For me, the answer to a "Kiwi 4 with belly" is hopefully going to be the upcoming Ouroboros. It is similar to the Kiwi in a lot of ways that I like, but I think the ergonomics might work a little better for my EDC preferences.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wouldn't that be a Caly?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Depends on exactly how the change is executed. If it was just a bit of belly being added to the Wharncliffe blade, then I'd be less enthused.

But it it was a from the ground up modified Wharncliffe or "reverse Tanto" I might consider buying one. What I'm imagining is a modified coping blade shape. It would have a very straight spine, with a very gentle belly.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:Wouldn't that be a Caly?
If all I wanted was a blade with belly, there are a slew of options. My interest here was specifically for the Kiwi size and ergonomics with a different blade.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Did this nine years ago, based on a regular size Kiwi...
...if it would actually work, I'd most definitely be up for a Kiwi 4 version.
Paul
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Doesn't the Roadie have a curved semi-Wharncliffe blade? Also, the Pingo has a modified Wharncliffe or Sheepfoot blade. Both of these are slightly curved. If you are talking about a slight curve/belly like those, and keeping the Wharncliffe point, then I would definitely be interested.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:Doesn't the Roadie have a curved semi-Wharncliffe blade? Also, the Pingo has a modified Wharncliffe or Sheepfoot blade. Both of these are slightly curved. If you are talking about a slight curve/belly like those, and keeping the Wharncliffe point, then I would definitely be interested.
IMHO, the Roadie blade shape is closer to a poorly sharpened sheepsfoot blade than a poorly sharpened Wharncliffe. Pingo has a bit more belly, but it's still more sheepsfoot than Wharnie at the tip.
Paul
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I wouldn't mind to see some 'Modified Wharncliffe' Kiwi version, maybe with some very slight belly.

Even though, I recognize that a Kiwi with belly is not a Kiwi... :rolleyes:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

with belly in the edge it won't be a Kiwi anymore... now, a knife *like* a Kiwi with belly might be one I buy, but before that I'd prefer a Kiwi Sprint with different blade steel and scale color.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...