Spyderco cat / questions about whether previous quality issues have been dealt with

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JasonC6612

Spyderco cat / questions about whether previous quality issues have been dealt with

Post by JasonC6612 »

I plan to purchase a spyderco cat from top quality knives (3rd party on amazon) and they have the recent updated spyderco cat model with cts-bd1 steel. To those who own a spyderco cat in bd1, could you tell me if the f&f issues/quality issues are still present in the current models? I understand it's been years ago when most of the forums I read were posted about spyderco cat quality issues but I'm just making sure it's all been dealt with. Sals a great guy I have faith its been solved by now
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
demoncase

Re: Spyderco cat / questions about whether previous quality issues have been dealt with

Post by demoncase »

I picked up a 440c Cat in the UK a few months ago, so no idea it had been on the shelf.

No issues at all.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spyderco cat / questions about whether previous quality issues have been dealt with

Post by Doc Dan »

The quality control problems were with the carbon fiber models with S30V steel. They stopped production and I assume changed makers. After that they came out with a G10 440C model. Some of these had jimping top and on choil (mine) and some did not. Quality wise, mine is better finished than my Chaparral. I have only heard a very few minor complaints (blade centering easily fixed, etc.) on these knives. The only differences with the newer version is the steel (CTS-BD1) and some do not have jimping. The quality is still the same high standard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Doc Dan wrote:The quality control problems were with the carbon fiber models with S30V steel. They stopped production and I assume changed makers. After that they came out with a G10 440C model. Some of these had jimping top and on choil (mine) and some did not. Quality wise, mine is better finished than my Chaparral. I have only heard a very few minor complaints (blade centering easily fixed, etc.) on these knives. The only differences with the newer version is the steel (CTS-BD1) and some do not have jimping. The quality is still the same high standard.
That's interesting- as mine is a 440c lacking the jimping.....I had wondered about that.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I recently got a Cat and the F&F is good, no issues that I a can find with it. Mine is 440C so can't comment on the newer ones. I was lucky that my CF Chicago was very good except for a terrible grind which needed to be fixed.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I have serration-free a 440C Cat, that has really excellent F&F, except for the blade washers, which were a white polymer (PTFE?). the blade centering was off and lockup was less than perfect, I replaced them with brass washers and now it has perfect centering and rock solid lockup. I'm not a real fan of the blade steel though, it doesn't take as good an edge as other current Spyderco steels and requires more effort than VG10 or BD1 to get a slightly inferior edge. I'm glad to see the new iteration with jimping and BD1, I may gift my current one to deserving friend and pick up one of the new versions as a replacement.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have 2 440C Cats. Neither has jimping, but I don't mind that at all. Both are excellent with no issues at all (except one had a loose clip screw out of the box).
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

They've been very nice for quite a while.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Now you have heard it from the Man himself. You must go and buy one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I got my CAT a few yrs ago and other than the blade being a bit off center it is great!! G-10, jimping, 440c.. I can get a real nice edge too.. Carry this quite a lot.. This was my first Spyderco purchase after I discovered this site.. I do have a few I purchased yrs before but this is the one that started the current trip down the Spyderco road!! :D John :cool:
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)