Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike3398

Re: Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Post by Mike3398 »

Sully wrote:* No Righty Spydies will be harmed in the making of this case.

(The following is definitely more of an in-depth opinion essay than a quick question. Proceed at your discretion.)

I want to start by thanking Sal, Eric, the entire Spyderco design team for all the many ambidextrous options (esp. the Chaparral). Spyderco back locks and BBLs work flawlessly, in form and function. Yet an even more impressive attribute, I believe, is that they embody a firmly held Spyderco principle: Inclusivity.

No surprise, I'm a lefty. Make no apology for it. ****, I embrace it. Proudly.

It ain't all rainbows and Rubicons. For me, poring over the latest catalog or scrolling down "Mr Blonde's" highly-anticipated Amster-****-that's-cool thread inevitably becomes a somewhat disheartening process of elimination. (LinerLocked-out again, nooo!) So many state-of-the-art dedicated right hand options. So, so many. Sure, the standard back lock classic beauties are always well represented; maybe an updated configuration of the must-have Manix some years; even a bright blue Sage 3 once. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate all the innovative, lust-worthy feats of design built into these predominantly right-handed gems. I'm just not willing to perform "parlor tricks" to deftly manipulate a "wrong-handed" folder. (phraseology credits: "The Deacon")

Could I adapt to a "wrong-handed" folder? Or overcome occluded Spyderholes? Of course I could. All lefties adapt daily. Just don't want to. Not here. Not at these price points. Don't want to have to think "compromise" when I choose a Spyderco. Moreover, it is completely counterintuitive for any meticulously designed handheld implement created for precise functionality to be held intentionally in the opposite hand than the specific one for which it was painstakingly ergonomically designed. Right??? Whoooops! I meant, please agree at least a lil' bit.

I believe it was 2009 when the Military Left Hand was released. So very cool of Sal & co. to offer a true lefty folder again. Talk about "walking the walk" in regard to being fully customer-focused. With that one decision alone, CQI, itself, got an upgrade: Constant Quality Inclusivity! Jealous of all of you lucky (read: smart) enough to be holding a Lefty Millie. I, too, grasp this monumental creation of balance. But only conceptually. See, Spyderco popped up on my radar about four years ago. I missed out. Now when a Lefty Millie appears for resale, it's Mamba-priced. One day…

To be completely honest, I don't even want another black G-10 knife. Too generic for my taste. The 4-inch Millie blade is also a bit too large for my urban use and carry. And I know I'm not at all alone in these opinions. Yet, if Spyderco does rerelease C36GLE (as Sal may have hinted/tooling exists), of course I'd still buy it up faster than a Caly Super Blue Sprint.

Thanks for reading all that preamble. There hasn't been a "Lefty" thread here in quite a while, probably because it's not the most handedly correct view to voice openly in mixed company. In lieu of any flowery apology for my incorrectness, I'm doubling down on appreciation. And I'd be a fool not to appreciate how Spyderco Forumites seem to be as unanimously generous in exalting the Para Military 2 as you all are in sharing your profound expertise. Enablers, I am sold!

Well, sort of.

PARA MILITARY 2 LEFT HAND

The compression lock and the PM2 platform do seem to be the two most quintessential Spydie Gotta-have-its these days. What a strong statement to ALL Spyderco loyalists it would be to offer the PM2 specifically designed for loyal lefty customers as well. Just one glorious PM2LH would be a timely, unambiguous lefty invitation to the Spydie Party – and so appreciated! Green polished G-10 is fine by me. Even Natural G-10, highly adaptable (a lefty trait). How about fluted Ti with 'greened' anodizing? Green C-tek? Oh yeah, I'm also an unapologetic green junkie. Ideal steel choice? I'm still too green, I trust you HRC-OCD gurus on steel selection waaaay more than myself.

If Sal is just not feelin' the love for a PM2LH … (Eric?!) … how about adding some "LH" to the coming-soon-ish Minuteman? Or fire up the Devil's Yojimbo 2?! Southpaw Southard? Truth be told, any true LH Spydie would be… Nirvana!!! Maybe Sal and Eric would agree to a pow wow with "The Deacon" and "Mr Blonde" – both Spyderco stalwarts and fellow SOUTHPAWS! I'd buy with both hands whatever came out of that meeting of the Spyderco minds. (IMHO new knife name: Spyderco Blonde Deacon)

I'm no savvy Spydie collector, but wouldn't the rarity, reverse design, and inherent positive provenance of such a unique piece also make it really stand tall in even the most extensive collection? Righties, we need your help here! If not for your awe-inspiring Spydercollection, how about just one masterfully crafted for your other hand? Watch the movie 127 Hours – true story about hiker Aron Ralston caught between a rock and a hard place (literally) – then tell yourself that you couldn't imagine ever wanting a Spyderco for your left hand.

That's my case… in a verbose nutshell. Thank you for your patience and consideration. Hopefully some of you will choose to discuss it, refine it, (edit it!), come up with an even better true Left Hand Spyderco. Lefties, please make yourselves heard here, too!

Overly Righteous One, feel free to scratch that itch of yours to want to gut this glorious green grail o' mine. (No irritant, no pearl.) Taking it that silly step further and presumptuously self-appointing yourself as Sal's Chief Business Protector, however, is just not warranted here. This respectful, impassioned plea is the furthest thing from any sort of attack on Spyderco and it's beyond-honorable business practices; I just really don't want to be forced to buy a $ebenza! Plus, Sal and Eric (+/-Michael Janich) are quite capable of protecting themselves. Most likely they have a sharp knife or two handy.

One for each hand, I hope.

Sully
I'm left handed but I carry and use all my knives ment for right handed people I've got it down but still better with the left
Distinguished ambassador of the American knife and tool Institute
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

mis-post
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
millwright

Post by millwright »

All I can say as a lefty is. I absolutely love the dedicated LH military. And would not hesitate to buy two of any specific LH models spyderco produced.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Hey All,

Sorry I haven't been around. Seems we've all been busy. Please excuse me for not addressing each of you by name, and know I appreciate all varying opinions surrounding this inexplicably controversial handedly incorrect topic.

As a lefty, I just attempted to make my best case for the inclusion of just one dedicated lefty folder in the entire spectrum of the current Spyderco lineup once again. That is all. Seems Sal read it and is wiling to consider it. How cool is Sal!

Upon just reading recent reaction both for and against this case, I would like to add that I also absolutely do agree with the "argument" that 100% ambidextrous folders are actually more fully functional in most scenarios. Still, I must admit I also do appreciate options. I do. And right now, there is no dedicated lefty Spyderco option.

I am jonesing for a true Lefty Spyderco that I can carry daily with pride. Guilty!

About the notion that the compression lock is !00% "hand neutral." I happen to disagree. I lean toward where the Spyderco design team ended up after no doubt much trial and error over the years. They picked the side that made the most sense for the majority. No critique from me there, or ever. Realizing we all have some level of ambidextrousness, I do of course concede the point that there are lefties who have become very comfortable with it as is. (After all, we're an adaptable bunch!) I think that's great for them. Can't say that's me exactly. And I know I'm not alone.

Is it really so objectionable to desire a truly awesome true lefty Spyderco? If so, I just cant help it. I also want Spyderco to continue to produce stunning, state-of-the-art dedicated Righty Spydies for you all. I love to admire them! I just can't USE them (at least not well…or happily). But I came to terms with that long ago.

Hey DougC-3, 25% of Apollo astronauts were lefty as well...but I won't go there.

I'll shut up now, since I don't want to write another essay. Again, I want to thank you ALL for your consideration and also respectfully defer to The Deacon's admirably succinct eloquence on the topic:
The Deacon wrote:I'd just add, in response to those who will inevitably opine that the compression lock is "hand neutral". Horsepucky!!!!! When the Gunting came out, with the lock on the other side because Bram Frank thought it "better" that way for right handed users, many in the right handed community whined.

That said, I'm not sure I'd find a left handed PM2 any more appealing than a right handed one. Trim the blade thickness down to 2mm, get rid of the bubble butt, and maybe, but as currently configured it's just bloated and unappealing.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
PM1

Post by PM1 »

As a lefty I definitely agree with the concept of a lefty-specific model being produced. Right now I'm mostly using backlocks since they are ambidextrous; however, the idea of a cool knife designed specifically for me and my fellow left-handers is appealing. I'm glad that Sal is at least considering this option.
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

So besides having the carry clip only on the left side, instead of the current left-right-up-down carry options, what would be distinctly left-handed about this variation? What would it have to make a lefty want to buy it instead of the current version?

Don't get me wrong, I'm left-handed too, and I'm all for more lefty models.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Why bother making any dedicated right hand Spydercos?....said no one ever. :)

Just trying to keep this light-hearted. My sincere point is that there are so many interesting, state-of-the-art Spydercos that utilize locks other than the great back locks and (c)bbls (and bolt action too) commonly found on Spyderco's awesome ambidextrous gems. Is it really that outrageous of an idea to once again have JUST ONE Spyderco in the spectrum of current offerings with a lock that is intentionally designed to be accessed from the other side? Just one LH Spydie? As Forumites, we constantly request a particular steel, a particular handle material, blade shape, etc.....I'm just compelled to request that one be intentionally designed -- in any Spyderco way -- for the other hand.

Spinynorman, my fellow Lefty, to directly answer your question, I truly marvel at all the craftsmanship and ingenuity that goes into the functionality of the Compression Lock, the Walker Linerlock, the Reeve Integral Frame Lock,..... I'd jump at the opportunity to use and appreciate them properly, adeptly with my dominant hand. (yes, I am somewhat ambidextrous, as I believe we all are to varying degrees.)

I also take pride in being Lefty, as I do in carrying a Spyderco. While I truly appreciate when great companies make ambidextrous "tools" I can use properly, JUST ONE Lefty version with everything -- all ergos, lock, clip, screws, even the spyder on the presentation side -- would send such a positive message. (Mostly the LH lock, of course.) As Lefties, we're so accustomed to adapting and compromising that this request seems like asking for way too much. But is it? Sal didn't seem to think so. He graciously offered to present the case to the other decision makers at Spyderco. That, I thought, was so very, very cool of him. Hopefully it is being discussed in Golden, or will be soon. Hopefully it really will happen for Lefties. Sorry for rambling again, just sort of passionate about this....opportunity.

Thanks for asking and supporting, Spinynorman. And everyone else!

Thanks again, Sal.

Hey Eric, what's cookin'? :)
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

sal

Post by sal »

Actually it is not an unreasonable request. In the early days ('80's), we made both left and right hand models before made them 4 way. We also made a LH Millie in the past.

Because Golden is double timing, adding new designs is challenging. Even a LH versioon will need some new parts as the model has been CQI'd since the last Lefty was made. But in Golden, we can make 500 pcs. which seems to be a good quantity. If we make them off shore, we have to make at least 1200 which means we might be sitting on inventory for some time.

sal
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Give it a new steel like 3V or something and even righties would buy one... Jus' saying.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Cujobob wrote:Give it a new steel like 3V or something and even righties would buy one... Jus' saying.
If they make a lefty friendly para 2 I'll certainly buy one. Fancy steel or not. And yes I'm right handed.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sully

Post by Sully »

sal wrote:Actually it is not an unreasonable request. In the early days ('80's), we made both left and right hand models before made them 4 way. We also made a LH Millie in the past.

Because Golden is double timing, adding new designs is challenging. Even a LH versioon will need some new parts as the model has been CQI'd since the last Lefty was made. But in Golden, we can make 500 pcs. which seems to be a good quantity. If we make them off shore, we have to make at least 1200 which means we might be sitting on inventory for some time.

sal

Homegrown. A sweet bushel of 500. Perfecto!

"Challenging," no doubt. Worth the wait, for sure! Whatever ultra-cool, ultra-capable, ultra-collectible LH design you may produce, I'm in for two!

Granted I am as biased as your edges are sharp, but I'd bet ya my left ( ) that the remaining 498 get to 0 long before there's ever a fleeting thought of even one of 'em showing its face down below in the "Crazy deals @ Sierra…" thread. (No disrespect to a beloved thread)

Sincere thanks again, Sal. To all the other intrepid, willing-to-Really-experiment Righties as well.

Sully

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I am a lefty, but I'm quite content to adapt to most right-handed locks. The PM2 has worked great for me as a left-handed knife with its ambi-compression lock (to me) and the 4-way clip option. However, I'll definitely do my part to get my left-hand on a truly dedicated left-handed PM2! I just hope it can be made in any other color than black though.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

IMHO, the Comp lock is a good invention but certainly not something that would push me towards or against a knife purchase. If anything (again just my paltry 2 cents) the Spyderco line has WAY too much overlap as it sits. Models competing with others for the same customer and the difference often coming down to non-material differences. The few Comp locks I've used are quite easy in both hands, far easier than most liner locks, and my left is next to worthless.

If Spyderco does a run that would be cool simply as it would be "fair". If that counts for anything :)
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

I use my Para2 in both hands, and can operate the compression lock with either hand, though I do find it a bit easier when it's in my right hand...so I can see why there would be a demand for one like this. I would be fully supportive of it, though I don't know about the cost effectiveness of it. Maybe do a sprint run of them? I'm sure they would probably sell out rather quickly. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Boomstick wrote:I'm sure they would probably sell out rather quickly. :)
They would sell better than some less popular sprints but I doubt they will fly off the shelves. The Lefty Military was around for quite a while, as I recall.
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

Blerv wrote:
They would sell better than some less popular sprints but I doubt they will fly off the shelves. The Lefty Military was around for quite a while, as I recall.
I think sales would be boosted simply because the ParaMilitary 2 is such a popular model, for obvious reasons, and it would be a new variation of that. I have heard of more than a few people complaining that they had trouble with the compression lock when using their left hand. I'm not one of them, but I have heard of it. Just a variation on the PM2 would create a lot of buzz.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Boomstick,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Boomstick wrote:
Blerv wrote:
I think sales would be boosted simply because the ParaMilitary 2 is such a popular model, for obvious reasons, and it would be a new variation of that. I have heard of more than a few people complaining that they had trouble with the compression lock when using their left hand. I'm not one of them, but I have heard of it. Just a variation on the PM2 would create a lot of buzz.
Understandable and I do agree it probably wouldn't languish to the point of discomfort. Still, the Military is a very popular model as well and the liner lock has the same hand-bias that the compression lock does.

Hopefully this thread sees some tangible action as again I do think the lefties deserve a little love as well. However, the sentiment of the industry not supporting them, by and large, has (sadly) already been proved by almost every liner/frame lock on the market for almost 3 decades.
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

sal wrote:Hi Boomstick,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
And thank you for making excellent knives, sir.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Certainly there is something to be said for being content to always just adapt, to derive comfort from conforming to the status quo. Spyderco seems to go in the other way. For that, I am very grateful.

500 LH pcs. from Golden (< 4" blade, green?) will sell. Well. Regardless of steel type, I dare say. Perhaps not to L-ighties. Hard-core Lefties, however, will hear of it, no doubt appreciate it, possibly even gain a valuable introduction to Spyderco through it. Experimental :spyder: Righties tend to be wallet-out-curious, God bless 'em.:) Collectors still recognize true rarity, I am told.

I've already committed to buying at least two pieces sight unseen (and on a Byrd-budget!), having that level of faith in Sal & co. I am not alone in that. Plus, there are Lefty forums, Lefty blogs, Lefty clubs, Lefty catalogs, Lefty word-of-mouth…. There are more and more Lefties who seek out left hand anything/everything every day! Not to mention, Lefties do also receive very thoughtful, lavish, perfect WOW gifts from generous Righties. On special occasions.:)

JUST ONE glorious Lefty-dedicated Spyderco current option, smaller-sized and less basic-black (umm, green?!) than the 2009-released Military LH, would easily give Chris Reeve's $ebenza LHs a serious run for their serious money. So happy that Sal, being Sal, is legitimately considering and even graciously volunteered to present (within Spyderco) our LH-once-again Case.

Obviously I do hope it actually happens, for us Lefties especially. No denying the fact that an LH Spyderco would be quite a departure from all the other truly-awesome, eagerly-anticipated Righty Spydie Sprints – all of which I choose to whole-heartedly applaud. Still, both of my hands are now coming together for this grail-of-grails new Lefty Spydie.

Hey Boomstick, welcome aboard! And thanks so much for stepping in with your full support. Silence is not always Golden.

Thanks to ALL... for all of your patience and thoughtful consideration.:)

Sully