Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Post by Donut »

Is this a sprint or production? If it's a sprint, how many were in the run?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
lpc

Post by lpc »

A big thanks to Sal from a left handed knife user. Mine shipped from Knifeworks today.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Donut, dont quote me but I believe it's a 500 piece run and that's it.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Donut,

As Shaztec mentioned, short run. We'll probably do something similar every 5 years or so.

sal
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Mine arrives today and I'm excited to try it out. Today is the last day I attend class for my mechanical engineering degree. I think a lefty PM2 is a nice reward to myself for graduating.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

fanglekai wrote:Mine arrives today and I'm excited to try it out. Today is the last day I attend class for my mechanical engineering degree. I think a lefty PM2 is a nice reward to myself for graduating.
Congrats dude! Need a job?? We could probably use ya...
lpc

Post by lpc »

Mine arrived today. So far I have just used it as a letter opener for a form 5320.20 that I received today.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Big thanks to Sully for the intial push and HUGE thanx to Sal for making it happen! This is AWESOME!!! :D

:spyder:
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

mrtodd777 wrote:
fanglekai wrote:Mine arrives today and I'm excited to try it out. Today is the last day I attend class for my mechanical engineering degree. I think a lefty PM2 is a nice reward to myself for graduating.
Congrats dude! Need a job?? We could probably use ya...
Thanks but I got an offer and accepted it a few months ago!
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I've had a chance to look over my lefty PM2 and use it a little. I don't see any F&F issues with it. The only thing was that the action wasn't super smooth. A couple drops of USP mineral oil and it became very smooth. No blade play in any direction, nice bevels and grind, no flaws in the G10. This is a fantastic knife. Thanks again Spyderco!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Just got mine. Very much like operating this lock the way it was designed to be used. I thought it might be my first Spydie that didn't need clip re-positioning, but while the clip was on the correct side it was set for tip-down carry so I had to switch it anyways.

One thing I notice is that the G10 has rather sharp edges compared to my RH PM3, which has a slight chamfer along the edge. I have to say the chamfer makes the knife considerably more comfortable in the hand, which makes me wonder why they would have changed that.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Douglas wrote:Just got mine. Very much like operating this lock the way it was designed to be used. I thought it might be my first Spydie that didn't need clip re-positioning, but while the clip was on the correct side it was set for tip-down carry so I had to switch it anyways.

One thing I notice is that the G10 has rather sharp edges compared to my RH PM3, which has a slight chamfer along the edge. I have to say the chamfer makes the knife considerably more comfortable in the hand, which makes me wonder why they would have changed that.
My experience has been that the chamfering has varied from one PM2 model to another and sometimes maybe even one run to another. I personally favor the chamfering and think it makes the knife a good bit more comfortable to hold. Some people may like the more rectangular cross section with little chamfering because it may give them a more reliable grip when opening the knife, or maybe the lack of chamfering just saves production time. In any case, I wonder if there's a convenient way to quickly and neatly round over the edges of a G-10 scale without disassembling the knife.

Other left-handed Douglas ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I chamfered/rounded the scales on my regular production camo PM2. Really simple mod you can do by hand pretty quick with some automotive sandpaper.

I think 220 or 320 would be decent grits to start with, everything else to suit. I always sand wet and/or wear a dust mask to make sure I'm not breathing in any nasty dust.
:spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Nate wrote:I chamfered/rounded the scales on my regular production camo PM2. Really simple mod you can do by hand pretty quick with some automotive sandpaper.

I think 220 or 320 would be decent grits to start with, everything else to suit. I always sand wet and/or wear a dust mask to make sure I'm not breathing in any nasty dust.
Thanks Nate. I'll try this on a couple of older ones and see what I think. As for PM2s, I think the natural G-10 M-4 exclusive has about the sharpest corners I've seen.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

ImageImage
haven't stopped carrying this one since it got here.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Kmaroun

Post by Kmaroun »

Over 3 years and still no left handed PM3. Come on Spyderco. Where’s the lefty love??
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Kmaroun wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:00 pm
Over 3 years and still no left handed PM3. Come on Spyderco. Where’s the lefty love??
Hi, Kmaroun:
Welcome to our forum. This thread was originally about the Para Military 2 which was released in a left-handed configuration, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C81GLE2/1042. The Para 3 hasn't been out that long. ;) We have lots of lefty love. We're listening and I'll be sure to share your request.

We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I was excited for this one and had planned on grabbing one...then just before it’s release they put out a grey Cruwear right hand PM2. Well Cruwear over handedness was a no Brainer! I just can’t see a s30 lefty winning pocket time over Cruwear. Now I’m waiting to see if a Smocked righty PM2 hits the market for a blade swap. Or better yet a Cruwear Smock sprint but I guess that’s for another thread.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

Lefty Para 3 Lightweight would be my vote for the next lefty release! I already own the lefty PM2 and Millie, so I'm stoked for whatever the next lefty release is regardless.