Gayle Bradley 2?? Talk me into it..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

Gayle Bradley 2?? Talk me into it..

Post by mrtodd777 »

I have got a $100 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Also, just sold 2 old beaters on the bay for $75.. Of course all this cash is going to a new :spyder: knife..

So far I have been collecting for about a month and a half and have since acquired PM2, Sage 1, DF2 zdp, endura 4 wave, and a Tenacious for use as a beater..

To complete my collection for the time being, what should I add to the line up? I am planning on a spyderco rehab after this next purchase so I can give my wallet, and my wife, time to recuperate from the last bank statement.

Thanks yall!
Miss Dragonfly

Re: Gayle Bradley 2?? Talk me into it..

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

Yo, Blurple Manix 2 yourself! :D

Sorry, welcome! :)
Last edited by Miss Dragonfly on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum, have you considered a Manix2, the new S110V is a real nice piece.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I haven't considered one yet, but I very well might. The lock really interests me.
harronek

Post by harronek »

It might not seem very sexy , but you need a Delica in your lineup .

Ken
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Gayle Bradley 2 is really sweet I just got one I love it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my Bradley2. Carrying it today.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

harronek wrote:It might not seem very sexy , but you need a Delica in your lineup .

Ken
I totally agree. After just purchasing the DF2 and the Endura I have found I really like Spyderco's backlock (more so than I thought I would) and plan on picking one up soon. My gift card was a really nice gift from a wonderful person though and I am leaning towards something a little more "fancy" (whatever that means) for this next purchase. The street beat with micarta is sooo freakin nice too, but I dont see myself easily carrying it everyday.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Personally if I had an extra $100 and your current lineup, I'd say Manix 2 S110V, Chaparral 1, or Stretch. Delica is certainly not a bad option, though. I love mine.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I won't talk you into the GB2. I sold mine. The GB1 is a better knife. Spyderco should not have cut the price and produced a cheaper knife, IMO. Not a worthy successor to the GB1.
I would also recommend the 110V Manix 2. Great knife, great value.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I agree that your collection is sorely missing a Manix2, I'd go LW S110v personally, but the blurple is a great knife as well. If you like the ergos on the Tenacious you'll feel right at home with the Manix2.

BUT, the GB2 is sweet, and the GB1 even sweeter IMO.
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

My Gayle Bradley 2 will be delivered this week. I never owned a GB1 so I won't know what I'm missing. I think the GB2 is a far better looking knife and that's why I chose it over the GB1. It's just more refined... and much cheaper. I still may end up with GB1 at some point.... and the suggested Manix is probably up next for me. I'm sure you'll be happy with the GB2... so go for it!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Had 1.. Sent it back.. Rat1!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Y'all's opinions are of great value to all of us here that are new to the forum. Keep them coming! Thanks for all your replies. I would especially like to hear why the manix 2 in s110v is such an awesome knife!? I hadn't previously given it much thought.
Last edited by mrtodd777 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

mrtodd777 wrote:Y'all's opinions are of great value to all of us here that rAre new to the forum. Keep them coming! Thanks for all your replies. I would especially like to hear why the manix 2 in s110v is such an awesome knife!? I hadn't previously given it much thought.
For me the M2 fills my hand perfectly, its very flat in the pocket (a little wide but not bad). I love the Caged Ball Bearing lock, very secure and easy to disengage. All around great fit and finish, especially on the S110V (at least the one I received) and S110V is an amazing steel all around. To top it off the piece is very affordable for what your getting.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

A picture says a thousand words :)

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
awa54

Post by awa54 »

other "fancy" options might include a Sage 3 or Chaparral... the Sage 3 lock is the smoothest of any knife I own.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

DO IT!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Although I've temporarily lost count, I own somewhere around 32-34 Spydercos. I have to say the Gayle Bradley 2 was the best knife for the $$ I've bought yet. The M4 blade is one of the toughest blades you can get, and among the "tough" blades M4 stays sharp for an amazingly long time. The construction is bomb-proof. The hollow grind creates a thin shoulder behind the cutting edge that makes it cut like a laser. Considering all you get in this knife, I was amazed at how low the price is. I got a chance to talk with Gayle Bradley for about an hour a few months ago. Gayle is a no-nonsense guy. Gayle is also a cutting competition champion. He's not making knives to be pretty, or to include the latest fad opener or locking mechanism. This guy is an old-school knife USER and maker, and he makes knives for people who use them every day and need to count on them to get the job done well. There are A LOT of Spyderco knives you can buy and be glad you did....I believe the Bradley 2 is so good that it's worthy of consideration for a person's first Spyderco (although I still think PM2 is the perfect starting point) but anyone that owns 3 or more Spydercos should definitely have a GB2 in their collection IMO.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Xplorer wrote:Although I've temporarily lost count, I own somewhere around 32-34 Spydercos. I have to say the Gayle Bradley 2 was the best knife for the $$ I've bought yet. The M4 blade is one of the toughest blades you can get, and among the "tough" blades M4 stays sharp for an amazingly long time. The construction is bomb-proof. The hollow grind creates a thin shoulder behind the cutting edge that makes it cut like a laser. Considering all you get in this knife, I was amazed at how low the price is. I got a chance to talk with Gayle Bradley for about an hour a few months ago. Gayle is a no-nonsense guy. Gayle is also a cutting competition champion. He's not making knives to be pretty, or to include the latest fad opener or locking mechanism. This guy is an old-school knife USER and maker, and he makes knives for people who use them every day and need to count on them to get the job done well. There are A LOT of Spyderco knives you can buy and be glad you did....I believe the Bradley 2 is so good that it's worthy of consideration for a person's first Spyderco (although I still think PM2 is the perfect starting point) but anyone that owns 3 or more Spydercos should definitely have a GB2 in their collection IMO.
I love this post.
I am jealous you got to chat with Gayle.
I disagree that he doesn't make knives to be pretty because a) they are dead sexy in hand and to the eyes, and b) his custom stuff does have purely aesthetic flourishes.

GB2 is what I hoped the PM2 would be for me. It's not quintessentially Spyderco in every regard like the Golden models are, but if I could only have one Spyderco folder, it'd be the GB2. I think it marries what makes Spyderco great with some of the more mainstream aesthetics; coupled further with Taichung's fit and finish at this price and it's a home run.

The only people that seem to truly not like the GB2 are the GB1 fans that expected the GB2 to be another GB1. For me, they are completely different patterns with similar design cues (dolphin vs shark, for example).