Gayle Bradley 2?? Talk me into it..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Gayle Bradley 2?? Talk me into it..

Post by SG89 »

mrtodd777 wrote:After owning the knife now for a few weeks it has bumped my PM2 out of my pocket permanently. I dont seem to understand why so many people are having a hard time disengaging the liner lock.. Press slightly down with the PAD of your thumb and gently move sideways. I then use my pointer finger to close the blade while moving my thumb away from the lock.. IT takes no more effort than my sage 1 IMO. I personally love the lack of a liner lock cutout. The knife looks so much sleeker that way.
I'm glad you like it! I'll never get rid of mine :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

ejames13 wrote:
hoimin wrote:
mrtodd777 wrote:After owning the knife now for a few weeks it has bumped my PM2 out of my pocket permanently. I dont seem to understand why so many people are having a hard time disengaging the liner lock.. Press slightly down with the PAD of your thumb and gently move sideways. I then use my pointer finger to close the blade while moving my thumb away from the lock.. IT takes no more effort than my sage 1 IMO. I personally love the lack of a liner lock cutout. The knife looks so much sleeker that way.
Good to know I'm not alone in this. Congratulations =)
Been thinking about a GB2 for a while now. PM2 was not my favorite. It just never felt right in my hand. What about the GB2 makes you both prefer is over the PM2?
My digicam DLC PM2 was my first spyderco knife. I still love it, and I honestly cant think of a reason to bash it.. It is a DANG good knife! I think this one comes down to a matter of personal preference and usability. First off, I am from TEXAS, so any collaboration with Spyderco with a TEXAS knife maker is a must have for me.. Second, I live on a few acres and I am constantly weed eating, chopping wood, chainsawing, bbqing. etc.. The blade on the GB2 seems to lend itself to those kind of tasks ( cutting weedeater cord), (opening bags of charcoal), ( tasting food right off the grill).. I like the thickness of the blade. Third, This may sound petty, but DAAANG is the GB2 a pretty knife, especially for being such a user. IT just absolutely killed the PM2 as far as aesthetics.. I could keep going..
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

"Been thinking about a GB2 for a while now. PM2 was not my favorite. It just never felt right in my hand. What about the GB2 makes you both prefer is over the PM2?"

I just spent nearly 45 minutes trying to detail why I prefer the GB2, but after carefully handling and examining them both side-by-side, I decided the differences between the two are not great enough to make it easy to pick one over the other.

I'll just reduce my statement to this... The fit and finish of both are excellent. The PM2 fits great in my hand (I have perfect medium sized hands), but the GB2 is just prettier in my opinion. Blade shape, grind, lock type, weight, etc., are different enough that only you can determine which fits your needs/preferences better. For general EDC use you can't go wrong with either.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

ejames13 wrote: Been thinking about a GB2 for a while now. PM2 was not my favorite. It just never felt right in my hand. What about the GB2 makes you both prefer is over the PM2?
I had a PM2 as my only EDC knife for a year before I sold it. For the daily type of stuff I had to do (which is mostly not cutting), it was too much to carry. When I did use it, it was great, but it was large in the pocket and the blade was far shorter than the handle would warrant. Don't get me wrong, it was super comfortable to use and cut very well, but 95% of the time it was eating up pocket space as well as pocket material. I had the black/black version, so everytime I did bring it out, it was a bit intimidating for where I live.

I went in the other direction for 2 years going small with a Techno. Fit and finish blew the PM2 out of the water. CTS-XHP was less chippy than S30v seemed to be for me.

When the GB2 came out, I was immediately taken by the design and the lines. I had always been interested in the GB1, but the pictures and numbers of that showed how gigantic a knife it was for everyday carry. The GB2 had better ratios, thinner build, and the same Taichung F/F I come to expect from this range of production cutlery, at a price that was cheaper than the 1, and only a bit more expensive than the largely G10 PM2. The grip agnostic handle design is also nice in that it is comfortable in any grip other than holding the edge. The thin hollow grind on a tough steel like M4 is a great match in my mind and now experience. The PM2's FFG would bind on thicker materials at times, whereas the GB2 just glides through.

Aesthetically, the CF/G10 makes the GB2 classy looking enough that people tend to overlook the rather large size (for urban carry). I miss the compression lock of the PM2, but that's about it. The GB2 carries slimmer than the PM2 by a bit, but for the weight and length contains a longer edge to work with. I never had the two side by side unfortunately, but the GB2 made me a believer again in 3.5"+ blades for EDC. The overall design of this knife also suggests it could compete well against a Large Sebenza for less than half the price.