Hiker Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Re: Hiker Knife

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I go hiking quite often, and generally have a PM2 in my pocket and a Stretch in a pouch in my back pack with a few items I might need in emergencies (backup compass, whistle, matches, multi-tool, first aid-etc.) I never regret having the knives with me, but in the past seven years or so I have only used a knife to open stubborn food packages, trim/cut strings or extra straps off of clothing if they start annoying me, or to show off to my friend Bob, who buys cheap folders from the flea market... :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
TargaMonteSS wrote:If ur carrying an axe to hike does that mean you need it to reach the other end of the trail? Or are you cutting wood for a fire or something? That would be more like a camp chore which i didnt think was the focus of this thread.

On the AT they really dont want you cuttin trees or modifying the landscape. If i needed something like a big knife it would be to go off and have fun doing something unrelated to walking down the trails,
Thru hiking on popular trails does not necessitate a survival knife. You are on a well established trail with established campsites that do not want you messing with the landscape much. There are plenty of trails out here in Colorado that frown on wood gathering too. If you are thru hiking on one of them then like I said I agree with your point. In those situations I carry a safety orange Delica. Usually day hiking I carry a bunch of stuff just for the exercise. I used to do a lot of thru hiking and even more peak bagging when I lived back in the north east. However, I do not only hike/backpack like that. In some ways I grew to dislike hiking with a goal like thru hiking or peak bagging. I hiked the Adirondack's 46 high peaks and when I was done I was left feeling like I was too focused on checking off a list than just being outside. I would do it again but it would be different. Anyway, I like to get away from the crowds when in the woods and often solo backpack in some remote areas. On the AT you aren't apt to find yourself stranded for long before someone comes wandering by. Many of the places I go are very different. A rolled ankle in those places means waiting for me to not get home at the time I told my wife I would be home and then waiting for a search party. This could be days on some of my trips. If I am going to be gone for more than a week and get hurt on the first couple of days then I am in a pretty tough spot. There is a fishing spot I go to in the summer and it is a six mile hike each way and I usually spend a night or two there. I lug a lot of gear in compared to what a thru hiker would bring but I am still backpacking my stuff in and out and it is still strenuous hiking at elevation. I also do a lot of winter backpacking/hiking/camping and that is when I bring the axe, saw and big knife. I won't go out in the winter unless I am prepared to process wood even if it isn't the plan. Here was a recent trip. I lugged some ice fishing gear in with me too but the weather was too bad to fish. At least I found a good place to dig a snow cave. The snow was so hard and icy that I actually used the knife to carve out the inside walls into small cubes and then used a snowshoe to shovel the pieces out. I didn't have a fire on this trip but I had the tools just in case I got stranded.

Plus, you need something to chip your water bottle open with.

What knife is that?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I spend a lot of time hiking and backpacking in a variety of environments throughout most of the western states mostly. I select the equipment I will use based on the specifics of the destination I plan to explore. Fairly often I head to places where I know I will not be processing wood with a knife and when that is the case, I want a knife that will handle my needs without weighing me down needlessly. Since I generally go out into the wilderness alone, when it comes to my knife I live by the rule that "2 is 1 and 1 is none". So, I'll put a tough pocket knife in my pocket (like a Bradley 2 or a Stretch 2) as a backup. When it comes to light-weight fixed blades that I feel confident using....there aren't many out there. I think the suggestions about the Gayle Bradley Packer are good suggestions, although it too may still be a bit on the heavy side (I plan to buy one when they arrive). Lately, I've been very pleased using my Mule Team 21 in 4V for these situations. I designed and built the handle to be durable and light-weight. The blade slices like a laser beam and although thin and light-weight, the 4V is tough enough to provide me with some confidence should I find the need to use the knife in a way I hadn't intended. Good luck in our search! Happy hiking!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Dan, it is a Becker BK14. I feel bad plugging a non Spydie on here but it is my favorite backpacking knife. Nothing fancy. Just a thick slab of 1095. It fits my hand well and the blade is just big enough for my needs. The BK24 is the same knife made from D2.

The knife in the snow cave pic is a Becker Bk15. I actually had both the BK14, BK15 and Bradley Bowie with me on that trip as I wanted to compare the BK15 and Bradley Bowie. They are very similar in shape and size and for cutting frozen snow into little blocks I could throw out of the cave and for carving the walls smooth they worked about the same. The Bk15 is discoed now. I didn't end up doing any fire building. I didn't bring a tent so the plan was hammock or snow cave and since the wind was gusting at 50-60 mph or more I did not bother to get a fire going or sleep in a hammock. I brought a saw and three knives and didn't process a twig. Oh, well. I actually had a blast. Here is a vid that shows the wind.

The Mule is a great option too but not as robust as the BK14. I have carried the Izula and Swick too but I prefer just a little more blade usually. My Mule and my BK14 get carried hiking a lot. The Swick gets carried fishing a lot and the Izula just sits in a drawer.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ed Ricketts

Post by Ed Ricketts »

I'm a big fan of the FB04 5" Perrin as a lightweight hiker & general purpose fixed blade. Weight is listed as 3.65 oz! I don't find 5" too long at all, especially since i always carry a folder, generally pairing it with a 3" caly or mini-dyad. They don't weigh much either. If the OP prefers a 4" blade, fine. By all means suit yourself.

But i'd urge users in general to take a long look at the FB04. No it's not full tang, but i have found it plenty strong enough.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For what it's worth whenever I go hiking in the timber or in one of our beautiful Missouri state parks I usually always take a fixed blade with me. For some strange reason I just feel more at home using a fixed blade ( sometimes two of them) when I'm in a "nature vs me" situation. Oh I do also take a couple of folders as well. Right at the top of my "GOTTA-HAVE" list is the SOUTHFORK>> I don't see how a guy can get a better outdoor fixed blade unless Spyderco were to do a Sprint Run in the original TEMPERANCE 1 model in one of the newer Supersteels. But I'm doubtful of that happening even though I'll hold out hope for some time to come.

I'm also leaning in another direction after reading an article in one of my "survival" type magazines. They say in that article that it's a lot easier to get ferro rods and magnesium rods to spark with a high carbon steel blade instead of a knife with a stainless blade. I see that Spyderco is dabbling with 52100 blade steel which is recognized as a very dependable high carbon blade steel. Just something to consider anyway because anytime I go in the woods I'll always take some type of fire starting tools with me in the future.

Another thing to consider when hiking is to have some type of flare or warning device handy just in case you might sustain an injury. For that reason it's always wise to not hike alone. On another note I had two very close calls in Missouri state parks running into criminals in the woods>> which is another reason to be equipped for unforeseen emergencies that may crop up. It's just not completely safe anywhere now unfortunately. Great informative thread!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

When "section" hiking I always carry a SAK (one that has a saw) that's usually all I need. Regarding a fixed blade, most times I don't need it, but I pack one whenever I get the chance. Why? Because I'm a knife enthusiast and I enjoy the practice of using one whenever possible, so I don't mind the extra few ounces. It's that simple.

I've been packing a Bark River Aurora in A2 steel which is a beast for processing wood but just ok for food; playing around with a Boker Savannah which is gorgeous and good all around camp knife; and learning to use my Gayle Bradley Bowie. Still forming an opinion on the Bowie, it's large, but so far I think it's the most versatile among the three fixed blades I have now. I did like the length for processing the Salmon we caught next to our camp. But I've digressed into camp knives and the OP asks about hiking knives which is a big distinction. I think we'll have more to talk about when the GB Packer is available for us to try. Can't wait!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One of my go to knives for hiking used to be a Buck 102 Woodsman. It is a full tanged 440C knife with 4 inch blade and only weighs 2.5 oz without the sheath. While I am unable to hike until they get a medical problem sorted out, I still ponder knives. I have looked at the Street Beat, but I want something a bit more like the Bill Moran Drop Point with a full tang or full stick tang.
If I am going to be out overnight, I carry a small hatchet that weighs no more than most sheath knives. I always carry a small folding knife, too. I carry paracord and a small light tarp or poncho so I can have shelter, and a mag bar, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Definitely consider the aqua salt for this role. Perfect size, very light, indestructible (I use mine as a prybar), rust proof, sharpens easily, great ergos with room for a gloved XL hand, and a reasonable price.

I took the edge down pretty thin on mine, and it carves wood like a dream.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mako109 wrote:When "section" hiking I always carry a SAK (one that has a saw) that's usually all I need. Regarding a fixed blade, most times I don't need it, but I pack one whenever I get the chance. Why? Because I'm a knife enthusiast and I enjoy the practice of using one whenever possible, so I don't mind the extra few ounces. It's that simple.
Hey "Mako109" I totally understand your love for Swiss Army Knives>> because I'm a big fan of "Victorinox" myself and I own a lot of their stuff. But one item of their great tools I just won't do without is my Victorinox Swiss Tool X. Don't get me wrong because I will never ever trade or sell either one of my Spyderco Spyderenches but for a standard multitool Victorinox has them all beat IMO. You speak of a SAK with a saw>> you ought to see how well the saw in the Swiss Tool X works>> it's almost like using a real one. Every tool on the Victorinox Swiss Tool X has a practical/useful porpose and they are all high quality tools that actually work just as well as if you had the real tool itself.

I'm in no way trying to derail or hi-jack this great thread but as great of tools as Spyderco gives us there are a few tools out there that truly compliment and work well with Spyderco knives and the Victorinox Swiss Tool X and their other great multitools truly work well with Spyderco's great cutlery. So I will add to what Mako just said because there is a lot to be said for carrying good multitools on a hike because you never know what you might encounter or what you might need a tool for.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A good multi-tool can be invaluable outdoors. Weight is often big factor, though, depending on the type of hiking. I prefer a light weight SAK to an all steel multi-tool. Maybe Spyderco can solve this problem for us?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

@JD Spydo - thanks, I'll take a closer look at the Swiss Tool X. I'm currently using either the Camper (owned for 37 years now), Craftsman, or WorkChamp. The saws on these work very well for cutting 1-2" branches for shelters, walking sticks, kindling, marshmallow sticks, etc.. I also like having the lightweight and appropriately named "Compact" (no saw) in my city hiking/traveling, bag. I do agree with Doc regarding weight and the type of hiking I'm doing. The WorkChamp is quite a chunk, so if I'm carrying that it's the only edged tool I carry.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JD, you've caused me to add the Swiss Tool X to my want list. Probably like most folks, I've accumulated 5 or six multitools down through the years and a similar number of very compact ones, but I've rarely carried the bigger ones farther than my yard, except for one in my car toolbox. The Tool X looks light and useful enough to carry more often.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I do a lot of day hikes.. No over nighters.. In my pack is a Wenger 18 SAK and I always have a belt knife on me.. Usually something with a 3-4in blade. I keep my pack (14oz empty) light, so weight is not an issue.. John :)
Last edited by jmh58 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Speaking of saws, I would reeeeeeealy like to see an upgraded Spydersaw Sprint.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

How about a Millie with two blades, one front and one out the back. One standard blade and one saw blade?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been wanting a Spyderco with a blade and a saw forever. Buck and some other companies make them and market them as hunting tools. I have seen them advertised as bone saws as well as wood saws for clearing shooting lanes or for prepping for a tree stand. I once asked for a full sized Dyad with a saw instead of the serrated blade but with the two blades sharing a pivot and with the saw lacking the hump. Maybe the saw could have a hole on the end like the Clip-it tool bottle opener. Oh yeah!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Doc Dan wrote:How about a Millie with two blades, one front and one out the back. One standard blade and one saw blade?
LOL...hey wait a minute, like a...giant Dyad...yes I'm beginning to see your genius...hmmm.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:...the serrated blade but with the two blades sharing a pivot and with the saw lacking the hump.
I like this too Bearfacekiller! But I still would like to see the return of the Spydersaw.

Hoping Spyderco considers going back into the sawbiz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mako109 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:How about a Millie with two blades, one front and one out the back. One standard blade and one saw blade?
LOL...hey wait a minute, like a...giant Dyad...yes I'm beginning to see your genius...hmmm.
:D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050