Best hard use spydie folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoimin

Re: Best hard use spydie folder?

Post by hoimin »

GB1?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Probably my favorite for hard use is my Gayle Bradley (1), next would be Vallotton followed by one of my Manix2's (cruwear or M4)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

At this time I got three categories for "hard use" Spyders. First of all in the folder category I place my vote on the M390 Military model. In the Hawkbill category my vote goes to the G-10 Harpy>> in the fixed blade category the original FB05 TEMPERANCE 1 model ( PE & SE).

Those three Spyders are great for hard use. But there are so many of Spyderco's great blades that are geared for using and using very hard. The STainless Handled RESCUE model is probably Spyderco's best kept secret for hard use folders.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

For fixed my vote is for the Serrata. For folding my vote is for the PM2 Elmax... Only can vote for what I currently own. Although a Manix 2 is great for hard use.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Also, have you tried the GB2 for said hard-use tasks? I think it'd be up to snuff.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Stretch and Endura are worth looking at. Not as fancy as some of the other recommendations but both are outstanding designs and up to most any task.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

When thinking about a hard-use folder, the (now discontinued) Schempp Tuff comes to mind. I'd also check out the original Lionspy and K2. Both are very sturdy for the tasks you mentioned.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

The blurple Manix 2 looks promising....
"I can stop at any time."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The original Lionspy is the most overbuilt Spydie I own. It is a beast and has a lock on the lock. It is about 10 times stronger than anything I need.

The Bradley Bowie is a very stout fixed blade that can be used for many things. I actually wish it was ground thinner, especially the tip. It should be able to take anything you throw at it.

When I need a jack of all trades knife that can stand up to a little tough use I grab a Stretch. It has been adequate for my uses. If I need a stronger knife than that I grab a fixed blade.

The Manix2 is one of my last picks for hard use as I find the excessive jimping uncomfortable once the hard cutting starts.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Whitetail addict wrote:What do yall think would be the best hard use spydie folder?
Tasks such as wood work, cutting twine / rope, cutting open bags of feed, skining deer/black bear, ect.

Manix 2 has worked good for such tasks but I need another :)

I don't really see any of that as hard use unless you're popping joints while skinning, which you really should use a fixed blade for. My point is you can use pretty much any knife in the catalog for those other tasks. A Kiwi 4 for example is a fairly light built knife but I think could handle any of that even skinning if the blade were shaped for it.

What I mean is you can just take your pick, whatever you like. Obviously some will be tougher than others.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If you can break a Tuff, you are a gorilla.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
Whitetail addict wrote:What do yall think would be the best hard use spydie folder?
Tasks such as wood work, cutting twine / rope, cutting open bags of feed, skining deer/black bear, ect.

Manix 2 has worked good for such tasks but I need another :)

I don't really see any of that as hard use unless you're popping joints while skinning, which you really should use a fixed blade for. My point is you can use pretty much any knife in the catalog for those other tasks. A Kiwi 4 for example is a fairly light built knife but I think could handle any of that even skinning if the blade were shaped for it.

What I mean is you can just take your pick, whatever you like. Obviously some will be tougher than others.
This is the same thing I was thinking. Well that and real hard use stuff is best left for fixed blades.

Oh and Military for the tasks listed because I heart them.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Whitetail addict wrote:
hoimin wrote:Also, have you tried the GB2 for said hard-use tasks? I think it'd be up to snuff.
Been planning too, so far my gb2 has only seen cardboard cutting and shaving hair :)
Yes my GB2 is my newest so it's being baby-ed right now lol. Mostly just gets flicked open and closed for now
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Whitetail addict wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:For fixed my vote is for the Serrata. For folding my vote is for the PM2 Elmax... Only can vote for what I currently own. Although a Manix 2 is great for hard use.
Ive actually been pondering the idea of picking up a pm2 in elmax from bento box in the future.
Some people say it's too expensive. I haven't regretted one day of owning it.
Spydergirl88
tangent

Post by tangent »

For hard use the Pacific Salt is hard to beat.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spydergirl88 wrote:For fixed my vote is for the Serrata.
The Serrata is a great, and vastly underrated, knife.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Although I hesitate to use the words "hard use" & "folder" in the same post, I know what I'd consider reasonable hard use for a folder and I believe most of us are of the same mind there...

so, I'd pick a folder with robust stock, steel liners, and a dependable lock...blade steel choice would be of a secondary consideration...

With that in mind, my pics:

Chinook 1, 2, or 3, Manix 1, PM1 or 2 would top my list!*

*Disclaimer: a lot of Spyderco models have fine tips-- many with distal tapers...so I'm sure this is an area where a lot of Spyderco's first "fail" under hard use. This isn't an indictment of fine tips <I love them>, just an experience I've have breaking the tips on a PM2 and a Military, both in s30v.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Manix 2 is the best hard use folder out there so maybe a 110v version? But since that is not what you want to hear Id say flip a coin, all spydies are meant for hard use. I like the Endura 4, one of my all time favorite knives, a variety of blade styles and colors and can be beat on without mercy. Also you get a bit longer blade than the Manix 2.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My vote would be for the first version of the Manix. Not only was it **** of stout, but the fit and finish was so good it was getting compared to Sebenzas.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

GB1 is hard to beat IMO. Very different knife from the GB2.