Best hard use spydie folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

Re: Best hard use spydie folder?

Post by DutchBlades »

Gotta go with the GB1.
The Spydie I've used the hardest of all others,
yet it shows no wear and the edge is still there.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Here's the infamous GB1 tub pics from this thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost8228344

The abuse continues with flashing and other building material uses later in the thread.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lots of votes for the GB and with good reason, however I'd also throw in a knife that doesn't get much love when it comes to hard use but I believe is every bit as tough, and that's the Vallotton Sub-hilt. In fact in some ways I would say it's even tougher than the GB, considering how stout the blade and point are. It also has the thickest liner I've ever seen on a stainless liner Spyderco. It's a bit classier if you're into that. The only drawback is that it's a hefty weight knife (not that the GB is light by any definition of the word) and it isn't the best slicer due to the thick/short height blade. But, if you want a knife tough enough to pound through car doors, this is it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

My vote is for the Manix 2, just from personal use. Got bored after Christmas last year, so I took a thick branch, my Manix and the old Christmas tree and batoned the manix through the trunk of the tree. Still locks up solid, and no edge or tip damage come about. Endura 4 comes second in my book.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I think "bathtub stabbing" sets the new standard for the term "hard use" :D
Last edited by Mako109 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:Lots of votes for the GB and with good reason, however I'd also throw in a knife that doesn't get much love when it comes to hard use but I believe is every bit as tough, and that's the Vallotton Sub-hilt. In fact in some ways I would say it's even tougher than the GB, considering how stout the blade and point are. It also has the thickest liner I've ever seen on a stainless liner Spyderco. It's a bit classier if you're into that. The only drawback is that it's a hefty weight knife (not that the GB is light by any definition of the word) and it isn't the best slicer due to the thick/short height blade. But, if you want a knife tough enough to pound through car doors, this is it.
The Vollotton was my #2 pick, love the blade on that knife, some real thick blade stock and a super strong tip. ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I still think the Lionspy is the toughest folder. I am surprised it hasn't gotten more mentions here.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I still think the Lionspy is the toughest folder. I am surprised it hasn't gotten more mentions here.
You could be right, I think it may have to do with the price. People buying the higher end stuff are also probably not beating them up to see what they can handle, which is kind of a shame.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Another vote for the GB1.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Szabo folder.
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

Native 5 g10 or titanium version would be very durable.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I still think the Lionspy is the toughest folder. I am surprised it hasn't gotten more mentions here.
The Military is a better general hard use folder, but if I had to really beat on one of my Spydercos the LionSpy is hard to beat. Cuts well after I thinned out the edge at bit.
harronek

Post by harronek »

Ken
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I'd say GB2 now that GB1 is discontinued. The steel frame and the M4 blade are a tough as nails combination that is going to be hard to beat. My second choice is one that I haven't seen listed here...the Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 is one tough knife! Sal knows knives and he's seen 'em all....it shouldn't be any surprise that the knife he designed as "his" knife would be tough, reliable, ergonomic, and stay sharp for a ridiculously long time. So, although I agree with most people that the GB1 or GB2 are perfect choices when hard-use is the criteria, here's a pic of my other favorite in this category since no-one else mentioned it.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

My first choice of what I have would have been the tuff but mine has lock failure and I am scared that if I send it in I won't get it back claiming they think its unsafe and just give me credit. i would rather just have it in the collection. That being said I guess my domino with xhp. I use the **** out of that thing.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

Why the Elmax PM2 over the S110V PM2? Just curious.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
toonnee

Post by toonnee »

the Pacific Salt is hard to beat.
คาสิโนออนไลน์ที่จ่ายเงินตรงมากที่สุด ไม่มีโกง เล่นเท่าไหร่ได้รับเงินจริงตามจำนวนที่ได้ สมัครสมาชิกรับฟรีโบนัสแรกเข้า คาสิโนออนไลน์
Last edited by toonnee on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you don't use your knife as a prybar, consider the szabo folder. Its a tank. Super ergonomic handle, good blade shape for utility work, the stoutest version of the compression released by Spyderco and some gorgeous handles (I own the black blade version).

Inspires just as much confidence, if not more, than a Manix.

I also like the Pacific Salt for hard use. Handle and lock aren't as overbuilt as other folders but you can't beat the toughness of H1. H1 is known for being rust proof, but its also ridiculously tough.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another Spyderco fixed blade that is extremely tough is the older STREETBEAT model. The original STREETBEAT with the Micarta handle to me would be virtually impossible to destroy even with hard demanding use.

Another Spyderco folder that I believe is highly overlooked is the Golden CO USA made Native>> my 440V Native has truly been through the equivalent of two World Wars and is still very functional>> it don't look pretty but functional non the less.