Oh The Choices...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jack F.

Oh The Choices...

Post by Jack F. »

I'm sure that this is posted on here all the time, but I'll ask it again.
Which Spyderco knife should I get?

Requirements: Finger choil, about a 3 inch blade, $150 or less, able to maintain an edge well.
I plan to do basic edc tasks with it such as cut boxes, rope, maybe occasionally a tiny bit of wood.
I've thought about the sage 1 however the reports that its odd blade angle make it hard to sharpen worry me as I was planning on getting a Spyderco sharpmaker along with whichever knife I end up getting.

I have been carrying a Leatherman multi tool for awhile and love it but the blade on it is just not up to par for a lot of things so I want a nice dedicated knife. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Evil D

Re: Oh The Choices...

Post by Evil D »

Whoever said a Sage is hard to sharpen needs to improve their technique or something.

How experienced are you with sharpening? I ask because you want a finger choil and a steel that will maintain an edge well, and in your price range you could get a S110V Manix 2 in either the lightweight or G10 version which are both excellent knives, but they're going to take some extra time sharpening if you're a novice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

No contest, PM2 in s110v :D

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
remnar

Post by remnar »

Hello Jack,

There is nothing odd about the Sage 1 blade that makes it more difficult to sharpen than any other blade. The Sage series sounds like what you're looking for, or maybe a Caly or Native. All of those fit the criteria that you have.
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

Any of the sages, sage 5 is coming out later this year.
"I can stop at any time."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jack,

Welcome to our forum.

Sage fits the requirements.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Johnnie1801 wrote:No contest, PM2 in s110v :D

Actually, quite a contest

~David
Jack F.

Post by Jack F. »

I am a novice at sharpening so I don't want anything thats crazy hard to sharpen, how much more time do you think s110v would take over something like s30v?
And thank all of you for your super quick replies!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jack F. wrote:I am a novice at sharpening so I don't want anything thats crazy hard to sharpen, how much more time do you think s110v would take over something like s30v?
And thank all of you for your super quick replies!

It's really only "harder" because it's literally harder, and more wear resistant. So, it's going to take more time and more passes on the same stone as S30V. If you don't do anything crazy and chip the edge, you can simply keep it sharp and you won't have any issues. This means touching up the edge on a regular basis (I do it after every use). Otherwise you can get the diamond rods for the Sharpmaker that will speed up the process of repairing chips and such. It's not impossible, it just takes more of the same to get from dull to sharp as any other steel.
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would get one of the sages in s30v. S110v is not the easiest steel for a novice sharpener to work with. S30v is top notch steel and will be a big improvement over what you are currently using in your Leatherman. Within the Sage series, I am a big fan of the Titanium Sage 2.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Nobody mentioned the native yet
Jack F.

Post by Jack F. »

What about lock types, all of these knives seem to have different types. Are there any that you all think are better or is the lock almost negligible because they all work about the same?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

They're all designed to be sufficiently strong and in all likeliness you'll snap the blade before any of the locks break. It just comes down to personal preference of usage. Some people really like liner and frame locks, some people like backlocks better, some people like the CBBL and bolt action locks more. There's also the aesthetic considerations too. The Sage knives will all perform very similarly due to their VERY similar dimensions etc. so if you have no preference over the type of lock you should go with whichever one appeals to you the most visually. I personally have a CF Sage 3 and a Sage 4.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral 1
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
palonej

Post by palonej »

Evil D wrote:

You read my mind David!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:Sage fits the requirements.

sal
Surfingringo wrote:I would get one of the sages in s30v. S110v is not the easiest steel for a novice sharpener to work with. S30v is top notch steel and will be a big improvement over what you are currently using in your Leatherman. Within the Sage series, I am a big fan of the Titanium Sage 2.
Sage advice! ;) Sage 1 or 2 are great choices IMO. I have a Sage 3 and like it a lot too but it's a little wider in the pocket than the others so I don't carry it very often.

bdblue wrote:Nobody mentioned the native yet
Also a great choice! As much as I like my Sages, the Natives see a little more pocket time for whatever reason.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mattman

Post by mattman »

It sounds to me that whoever he was reading about the "awkward angle" of the sage blade, was likely referring to the edge bevel, and they were having the typical "noob" issue of hitting the apex...

This is generally an issue with *any* knife that was final sharpened by hand during manufacture, and is generally just that, learning the difference between "sharpening", and "reprofiling"...

Spydercos Golden facility has recently upgraded to robotic final finishing for several, if not all, models coming from that plant, and they have been exceptional!

If you want to avoid this minor issue, start with a recent example from Golden, but, eventually you will need to understand and deal with this down the road, as you learn to sharpen.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

timlara

Post by timlara »

sal wrote:Hi Jack,

Welcome to our forum.

Sage fits the requirements.

sal
Welcome to the forum, Jack! I will cast another vote for the Sage line. Great EDC size and it offers multiple handle and lock choices with the different variations.

I'm going to go ahead and wishfully hope that Sal's mention of the Sage here is a hint that the Sage 5 will be dropping soon if it's on his mind! :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:

Now thats one nice looking M2 right there fellas and gals :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."