Oh The Choices...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Re: Oh The Choices...

Post by toomzz »

........also consider what lock you prefer. The Sage is a model that features almost all different kind of locks....coming up is the Native 5 with a compressionlock like the Paramilitary. The Sage also carries very pocketfriendly. I also saw the Native 5 come by; a little smaller than the Sage, but a fierce small pocketknife :rolleyes:
remnar

Post by remnar »

toomzz wrote:........also consider what lock you prefer. The Sage is a model that features almost all different kind of locks....coming up is the Native 5 with a compressionlock like the Paramilitary. The Sage also carries very pocketfriendly. I also saw the Native 5 come by; a little smaller than the Sage, but a fierce small pocketknife :rolleyes:
Just to avoid confusing anyone...I know you meant to type Sage 5 and not Native 5. ;) There will not be a Native 5 with a compression lock. :)
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Thank you sir! Indeed....I meant Sage there, not Native.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It took me a while to figure our what is right for me. Still learning, enjoying and discovering. The OP will learn on his own what is right for him. The choices are varied, the material selection is large, the style selection is huge :eek: :eek: .

I've never owned a PM, I imagine they're quite a nice model given the popularity but there are so many other nice models out there that fit the OP's criteria.

My suggestion to the OP is to start somewhere, maybe with a plain jane Native, evaluate, learn to sharpen, learn a bit about blade materials, then move on to whatever tickles your fancy.

I went from a newbie collection of about 50 knives down to about 7. Double that now but each new purchase is made with more thought and the ability to reprofile and sharpen as I wish no matter what the blade material is. It's am enjoyable journey :) :) I wish the OP an enjoyable journey as well :)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Image
For the sake of clarity for the OP who may not recognize this knife: This is a Gayle Bradley Folder. Great knife, might be a little bit bigger and less stainless than the OP is wanting to get.

Also, my suggestions for this thread are: Sage, Chaparral, Delica, Dragonfly, Manix, Para Military.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I say go with your instinct and get a Sage1. Its a great (prefect) knife and will be one of the easier options to learn using the Sharpmaker with IMO. If you don't own a different knife for every occasion, the Sage can pretty much rule them all as a mid sized, easy to carry knife with class. I carry the Sage2 the most, but the Sage1 is lighter and an undeniable value. The Sage3 is wider than the rest, and the Sage4 is unobtainium, especially in that price range.

I'm going to have a storage issue when the Sage5 drops!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome to the forum Jack :) The Bradley is a wonderful model :D Easy to sharpen too.

If you want to get better at sharpening this is the place to be :D :D
swigert

Post by swigert »

Manix 2 and PM2 are what you will be recommended most and those are great options. I also really like the sage. I don't think it's any harder to sharpen though.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

If you like Sage, go for it. Not my favorite, but it is a good knife.
S30V is a good steel. Getting sharpmaker is a good idea, just do not forget to get diamond rods. All Spyderco knives are sharpened on factory by hand and edges angles are vary. So you may will need to reprofile much sooner than expected and you will need something much coarse than medium rods, which comes with sharpmaker.
I wouldn't advise you anything with S110V, not just yet unless you are super patient.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RLR

Post by RLR »

OK, here it comes out of left field. You had to expect someone would throw you a curveball. [TWO baseball analogies... but I digress]

Yojimbo
- price close on the street market
- blade edge under 3"
- not really a choil, but firm, solid grip and you can choke up on it
- easy to sharpen because it's a wharncliffe it's dirt simple
- for the tasks you noted (boxes, rope, wood) it cannot be beat (pull or push cuts)
- one of the best locks on the market

I think it is an overlooked "utility" knife. Check it out.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=707