Thinking about getting a Schempp Bowie...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Thinking about getting a Schempp Bowie...

Post by SG89 »

This knife has caught my eye lately....Enablers, do your best and convince me on why I should buy this knife! Pics of your Schempp Bowie are appreciated :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Re: Thinking about getting a Schempp Bowie...

Post by SpyderNut »

I don't have one, but I greatly admire the lines on that blade. Very well thought-out design. Heck, I think you should get one and then do a nice write-up and review (complete with pics) and then convince the rest of us to buy one, lol. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

SG89

Post by SG89 »

hoimin-thanks for the link
Spydergirl88
bh49

Post by bh49 »

nice looking knife, but I didn't like the ergos and sold it
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bh49 wrote:nice looking knife, but I didn't like the ergos and sold it
Specifically, what didn't you like about the ergos?
Spydergirl88
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Its one of my favorite pieces, the handle fits my hand perfect, I wear M-L gloves though so might be a wee small for larger hands. The blade shape and grind is very impressive, not to mention all that blade you get. The only minor issue I have with mine is that the detent is a little lite/weak, I can actually get it to deploy with a strong wrist flick. The brass bolsters look great with the carbon fiber scales, I also like how the brass patina's over time.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

No problem, Spydergirl88.
I've often gazed upon this knife with intent to purchase as it is very oddly attractive. The only things that have held me back are the steel (which is more than adequate, but I'm both spoiled and snobby about steel now :) ), and the S guard. It has the shape and aesthetics of the Spyderco traditional knife that I'm waiting for, but not in this weight/size category.

I really love the way the hole was integrated and the blade shape overall and the black wire clip on CF/G10. The brass contrast bolster is also very nice. The front control choil that doesn't eat up edge length is also inspired.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
bh49 wrote:nice looking knife, but I didn't like the ergos and sold it
Specifically, what didn't you like about the ergos?
Handle was too small for me to secure hold the knife without using the choil and I didn't like balance with grip on choil. This is strange. I owned and still have several knives designed by Ed Schempp and never had a problem with grip before. Always was perfect fit. I was really disapointed: 2.5 mm thick blade is terific. My hands are large and if your hands smaller possibly it will fine for you.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

SG89

Post by SG89 »

@bh49 Thanks for the feedback
Spydergirl88
paladin

Post by paladin »

Hope these pics ....HELP! :p :spyder: ;)

I love my Bowies Factory AND Custom!

bh49

Post by bh49 »

it is hard to beat desert Ironwood

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

perfect combo on that one Paladin, wood and brass...Mmmmmm
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dang paladin that is one sweet piece love the matching backspacer
Spydergirl88
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I quite enjoy the Schempp Bowie. Beautifully made :) :) Feels great in my hand :D

Works quite effectively as well. The blade is not very thick (2.5mm) so it uses well in the kitchen. It's a very well working and feeling knife for me. Mine is due for another edge touch-up. The Schempp Bowie is currently one of my favorites to carry.

With use the brass patinas and scratches, good personality traits ;)

Action is silky smooth and effortless. It screams quality.

Make sure whoever you buy it from checks the lock first, my first had a clapped out lock. the replacement is beautiful :D

A few pics to tease ;)

Charlie
Attachments
three.jpg
schemppbowie.jpg
schemp bowie 002.jpg
schemp bowie 001 copy.jpg
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks Charlie for the pics. This knife is definitely at the top of my must get list.
Spydergirl88
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

paladin wrote:Hope these pics ....HELP! :p :spyder: ;)

I love my Schempp Bowie it's in my pocket right now as I type this. As others have said the detent is pretty weak I can easily open the blade with a wrist flick and the lock is at 100% engagement. I wear XL sized gloves and it fits good in my hand but be warned it does feel different than any other Spyderco that I have ever handled so it might take a while to get used to.

Paladin
Those handles look great. For the last couple of weeks I have been thinking that some nice burled handles would really set this knife off. Are these handles for sale someplace or did you have them custom made? Can you still use the clip with them?
Either way they look great.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

I considered getting one of these recently when things didn't work out with my Bradley 2. It's an absolutely beautiful knife - the brass/carbon fiber combination is very striking and quite a pleasing melding of traditional and modern. F&F of course is perfect being from Taichung. I love the black wire clip and the overall compactness of the design. However I passed on getting it as a carry knife for a couple of reasons:

Firstly I found that the handle didn't work very well with my particular hand size and shape: holding it behind the guard the handle felt too small and the blade felt too far forward. Holding it choked up felt better but then my thumb had to be placed over the top guard and felt like it didn't have a place to go.

Secondly I didn't really like the amount of negative blade angle - this is something that is characteristic of all Ed Schempp designs and doesn't appeal to me personally.

In summary I would say that if you want this as a collector's piece you can't go wrong but for carry I'd suggest having the knife in hand first.

Regards,
Bruno
paladin

Post by paladin »

JimJones wrote:
paladin wrote:Hope these pics ....HELP! :p :spyder: ;)

Paladin
Those handles look great. For the last couple of weeks I have been thinking that some nice burled handles would really set this knife off. Are these handles for sale someplace or did you have them custom made? Can you still use the clip with them?
Either way they look great.
Thanks JimJones! :)

These are custom Desert Ironwood handles...I bought the slabs online sight unseen from KnifeKits<dot> <com>...so , yeah I feel I got pretty lucky with the grain/figure of the slabs especially since I just purchased the cheapest grade available. There's a guy on BladeForums who occasionally sells Ironwood slabs in the "Gadgets & Gear, sold by Individuals" that always have nice grain & figure and he's very reasonably priced plus you get to see what you're getting because he posts good pics...his screen name is NorvTex...his latest listing there was about a month ago. I've bought from him twice, no surprises....good guy. Happy hunting!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Paladin, great looking mod Bowie! The scales are fantastic, but even more so in my eyes is the improved lines from the razed thumb ramp. I've been wanting a Schempp Bowie myself for awhile now just to try and do that to it but can't fit it into my budget. Great to see you've done it!
So, I've got to ask; how does it feel in use without the ramp? I know it looks better to my eyes, but more importantly how is it to the hand?

Happen to have any comparison shots between the two in your hand?
Going back to Caly.