Hiking/camping/EDC knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZesT

Hiking/camping/EDC knife?

Post by ZesT »

Hi! this is officialy my first post on the spyderco forums, bought my first spyderco a month ago and I'm already looking for another! I currently have the Sage 1 and I EDC it every day, however, I do a lot of camping and hiking and am not really comfortable using the sage for that kind of work(and I'm also itching for a new spyderco). Any recomendations? My budget is about $130 and I'm currently debating between the Manix 2, (which I've always had a sweet spot for) and the PM2, (which everybody seems to worship around here). But I'm always open to new ideas!
"I can stop at any time."
zhyla

Re: Hiking/camping/EDC knife?

Post by zhyla »

What are you going to be using it for? When I hear hiking and camping I think small fixed blade chopper, not a folder, but maybe you meant in addition to that?
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

Just something compact so it doesn't get in the way when hiking, not a big fixed blade fan. just want something for whittling, cutting cord, the occasional branch, and maybe the occasional EDC.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard! Congrats on your new Sage 1. That is a fine way to start things off with your Spydie collection. ;) As to your question, I'd say the Manix 2 or Paramilitary 2 are certainly good choices for what you are looking for. I'd also suggest the Military as a very good option, perhaps even the upcoming 52100 Sprint.
By the way, I'd also suggest getting a Sharpmaker (approx. $65) as soon as you can so that you can begin to maintain your collection. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Zest, you might want to have a look at the Pacific Salt. It is basically a 100% rust proof Endura. It comes in both a plain edge and a serrated version. I prefer the serrated in that steel as it has markedly better edge retention. It also makes for a great lightweight EDC and won't break the bank.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

For the outdoors Millie>PM2>Manix 2. Manix 2 is heaviest of the bunch and honestly an FFG Endura should be in the discussion as well
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I would suggest Delica or Endura. I used to do a lot of backpacking and used a knife somewhat equivalent to a Delica. Weight savings was very important and for normal backpacking I didn't need a knife bigger than a Delica. I like bigger knives now so I would probably carry something like an Endura these days.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome to the forum!

I backpack quite a bit. A safety orange Delica is my go to. Super duper light and very bright orange so you won't lose it. The Endura comes in the same color but I prefer the Delica. Backpacking is all about weight and ounces do matter. Also, losing your knife is a no go when in the backcountry and the orange is very visible. I also enjoy an easy to sharpen steel when backpacking as a small pocket stone is usually all I have. VG10 is very stainless and sharpens easily. I am a knife hoarder so I bring all sorts of knives out with me into the woods but when I am going on a multi night backpacking trip the orange VG10 Delica always seems to be the most practical.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pacific Salt. Extremely light weight, good blade length, rust proof blade steel thats incredibly tough. I carry mine on cross country cycling trips and weekend hikes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would suggest an Endura or a Stretch with VG10. They are light weight so will not drag your pants down, and highly rust resistant while keeping a good edge. The Endura is not expensive so if you lose it you will not be crying.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum, ZesT! My personal recommendation would probably be an Endura or Pacific Salt, though other recommendations on here are all very good, too. Let me ask you this: When it comes to the weight of the knife, do you tend to prefer one that is a little weightier and heftier in the hand, or, one that is more on the lightweight side? I ask because Spyderco manufactures an Endura with a stainless steel handle that is a little heavier, as well as the ones with the Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon (FRN).
awa54

Post by awa54 »

If you can stand the extra weight, I'd go for a Manix. The M2 just feels beefier than the other knives mentioned here, don't get me wrong, the PM2 and Stretch (haven't used an Endura and Delica might be too small for an all-around camp knife) would probably hold up just fine, but my money would be on the Manix in a hard use situation.

That said, most of my hiking and camping cutting tasks have been accomplished with an Opinel No. 8.

...now that I think of it a Native 5 LW could be a perfect weight-to-beefiness compromise?
Last edited by awa54 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Enuff or Perrin SB LW?
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi Zest, you might want to have a look at the Pacific Salt. It is basically a 100% rust proof Endura. It comes in both a plain edge and a serrated version. I prefer the serrated in that steel as it has markedly better edge retention. It also makes for a great lightweight EDC and won't break the bank.
This ^^^
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

It may be counter to what most here suggest, but my favorite for an outdoor folder is a dragonfly 2 in zdp. It's extremely light weight and handy and can go a dozen trips without needing a sharpening.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

I would recommend the LW dark blue M2, it's light in the pocket, has great ergos, and it holds a good edge for carving and other wood tasks. The finger choil is a plus for any camp knife.
I also recommend a delica, it is a good knife that fits nice in hand, and can do smaller tasks. My delica is purple, I got it off the bay for a good price, and is easy to spot if dropped. Probably not as visible as orange though.
I have taken both on several backpacking trips, a few multiple day trips and both served me well.
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
swigert

Post by swigert »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi Zest, you might want to have a look at the Pacific Salt. It is basically a 100% rust proof Endura. It comes in both a plain edge and a serrated version. I prefer the serrated in that steel as it has markedly better edge retention. It also makes for a great lightweight EDC and won't break the bank.
My suggestion also. Military also would be worth looking into.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The manix 2 and PM2 are both terrific. Manix is wider in pocket, but both will stand whatever uses you have for them. You should be happy with either.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For whittling, cutting branches and similar stuff you'll need a tougher steel and a stronger pivot and lock-up in a light package inside a 130$ budget.There is no such folder in the actual Spyderco line-up IMO.The closest to your request would be a Military in Cruwear if you are willing to enhance your budget or better yet, wait for the 52100 Military.That one it's going be a true workhorse.
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

Thank you guys so much for the recommendations! I guess I have some research to do! I have been taken back by the kindness of this forum! Very pleasant place!