How important is disassembly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rocangus

How important is disassembly?

Post by Rocangus »

First off, I know taking apart a Spyderco will void the warranty.

Anyway, I have always enjoyed tinkering with my knives... breaking them down, figuring out how they work, cleaning, reassembling, etc. It's just something that brings me a lot of pleasure; as well as being reassuring, as I know that if anything odd were to happen, I could open up my knife and bring it back to life.

This mentality eventually led to not buying certain knives because of pinned construction, which I obviously cannot disassemble. The problem is the Caly 3/3.5. It is just about my dream knife, but I have been holding back because of the pinned construction. I absolutely love the look and feel of it in every way. So....

Have any of you fine folks grappled with this problem? Any other thoughts?
DougC-3

Re: How important is disassembly?

Post by DougC-3 »

Coincidentally my Caly 3.5 ZDP 189 is the only one of my Spydies I've disassembled. It had some grit in the pivot and I came on the forum asking for advice about how to clean it out. Everyone recommended cleaning it w/o disassembly and I'm sure that would have worked, but I stubbornly did it anyway and had no problems.

The pivot and blade are very easy to remove and replace, and cleaning is very easy while they're out. I can't think of any reason you'd need to break it down further unless you want to replace the scales, and the times I've seen that mentioned on the forums, IIRC people have found it to be extremely difficult if not impossible -- I wouldn't try it unless you're a machinist or the like ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

IMO knives aren't meant to be disassembled. I'd do it as a last resort but i can't find a reason why. My early 90's Delica lived 20 years + without disassembly, and it was dropped in mud, clean fish and all sorts of use.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not the least bit important to me. I've never felt the need to take a knife apart for service and my favorite "style" of knives are those with smooth bolsters, a look that can only be achieved with flush pin construction.

OTOH, it's something that's obviously of considerable importance to a number of people, at least some of whom are blessed with more enthusiasm than talent. Makes me wonder if Spyderco is not missing a bet by not introducing at least one model designed specifically to allow user serviceability by even the most mechanically challenged among us.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Not in the slightest bit important to me.

If I it is screw-construction, I may decide to customize it with some aftermarket scales. (And wear the warranty impact- I'm a big boy, I know the rules)
But less than 2% of my collection have ended up that way, so it's not a driving factor.

Remember- just because it's screwed together doesn't mean it needs you taking it to bits. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Not very important to me. Doesn't need to be done for cleaning. I took one down a few years ago just for fun...wasn't that exciting. :)

--oh yeah, and welcome to the forum Rocangus!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

demoncase wrote:Not in the slightest bit important to me.

If I it is screw-construction, I may decide to customize it with some aftermarket scales. (And wear the warranty impact- I'm a big boy, I know the rules)
But less than 2% of my collection have ended up that way, so it's not a driving factor.

Remember- just because it's screwed together doesn't mean it needs you taking it to bits. ;)
I was actually going to write "the engine in my car is screwed together too, i don't mess with it either" :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

So much could go wrong that I think the benefits don't outweigh the risks. Those little torx screws are notorious for stripping.

I have disassembled a few knives it was to change scales or washers. Never just for cleaning.

And the Caly 3 is the perfect knife.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

The Deacon wrote:, at least some of whom are blessed with more enthusiasm than talent. .
Thanks for the laugh :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I too am a tinkerer, and love taking things apart. It's come in handy a few times, and I appreciate the option. I took my Caly blade out to clean it, and I think it's serviceable enough. I also have a stainless handled Delica and Harpy, totally pinned and the pins beautifully blended and hidden, and I carry and use them. Screws are great and I prefer them, but it's never a deal breaker.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I remember when all folding knives were pin construction. I never thought, "If only I could disassemble my knife."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rocangus,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like to have an adjustable pivot and I like to be able to remove the blade which the Caly allows. Other than that I can live with pins everywhere else. I like to tinker and many of my knives have been apart. I did screw up a Military pretty good and had to shamefully turn it in to W&R but that is the only one. I was adverse to pinned knives at first too but eventually I bought and carried some and got over it and realized I was just missing out on some awesome knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I think that taking apart my favorite knife and lovingly cleaning/polishing every little bit is very enjoyable. It is part of my pride of ownership, and a great way to fully appreciate the design and craftsmanship that went into it. I take good care of my tools, and enjoy giving them the same treatment.

The Manix2 LW (adjustable pivot) is one of my favorite knives, and the pins don't really bother me anymore (though I did have to return the first one I bought that had a pinned pivot because the action was not good). Ideally I'd rather not see any pins, especially in premium knives like Spyderco. I can see times when pins may add to the beauty of a design, but it's hard for me to imagine them adding to the utility or performance.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Im a lot like OP. A knife isn't "mine" until its got a new edge and has been completely taken apart and reassembled. I find that my pinned caly 3 SB is one of my very favorite knives, and I would only change the proud pivot and the pinned construction. I like to see how every part of the knife interacts with every other part. All that said, there is rarely a real reason to tear down a knife. I just do it for fun.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Personally, I appreciate the pinned knives for the clean aesthetics. Knives like the Caly3/3.5 can have the blade removed. For service fanatics that is enough access to clean a knife.

I don't take my Spyderco's apart because they like most production knives don't always go back together like Legos. I also value the warranty and keeping my wrench off it ensures that if I get tired of the knife the person I sell it to will have a warranty as well.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

EDC Honeybee wrote:Im a lot like OP. A knife isn't "mine" until its got a new edge and has been completely taken apart and reassembled. I find that my pinned caly 3 SB is one of my very favorite knives, and I would only change the proud pivot and the pinned construction. I like to see how every part of the knife interacts with every other part. All that said, there is rarely a real reason to tear down a knife. I just do it for fun.
EDC Honeybee summed this up nicely for me. I feel exactly the same way. I will add that I've had a few knives that weren't functioning as well as I'd like and taking them apart and cleaning them out fully made a world of difference. Also, living in Canada, it can be troublesome, costly and even risky sending in a knife for repair so being handy at maintaining my knives becomes a necessity.

I would highly recommend the Caly series, don't let the pinned construction scare you away. Removing the blade and pivot is all you really need with those knives.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Disassembly is not an important factor for me regarding knives. In fact, I have yet to even adjust the pivot tension on any of my Spydercos.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

While I am impressed by well designed knives that utilize a minimum of moving parts and are very simple and reliable to take apart, clean, and put back together, in practice none of my knives have ever benefited from me taking them apart.

So far, any initial grittiness has been dealt with by some TLC and use, and anything else has been taken care of with a toothbrush, q-tips, and warm, soapy water.

I appreciate ease-of-disassembly from a design/engineering standpoint, but it is not a purchasing factor. I've been hesitant about pinned-construction knives in the past, but looking at some folk's 20+ year-old Police models, they hold up very well.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I eventually take most of mine apart, because I use bearing grease in the pivots. Otherwise I really only take then apart for mods, so most of them would never get disassembled otherwise.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David