How important is disassembly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
palonej

Re: How important is disassembly?

Post by palonej »

I took one apart..........that's all you're getting outta me!!!! :D :D :D
It was a Pac Salt and it was extremely tight. I've been in HVAC for over 40 years. I'm good with plumbing, electrical, structural, piping...........knives you ask???? Not so much!!!
After applying a couple of band aids I packed up a bunch of parts, called Charlynn, she laughed at me and that wasn't nice, shipped it with $20 and I don't wanna talk about it any more.
Thank you.
Joe
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Disassembly is not a critical thing for me. Doing so to a Delica allowed me to measure the parts, model them as closely as I could, and gain a serious appreciation of the dance that goes on in design.

I wouldn't advise it for a pinned knife unless you have the shop, tools, ability and know how to do it correctly.

Charlie
Attachments
test trans.jpg
bh49

Post by bh49 »

So far I took apart only two of my Natives. One - to replace scales, second because I messed-up and had to remove some steel for blade to go deeper into handle :o :( . Other than that I didn't disassemble any other knives. I carrying my Calys since they came out and never took blades out.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have had no need to take any of my knives apart and would not do so unless it was some kind of emergency, but I've only been fooling with knives for over 50 years. My aversion to disassembling knives is that I read too many occurrences of stripping out fasteners while messing with them.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I always become far more attached to knives I own that have never been disassembled...by me or by the previous owner. It's something I always ask if I'm buying used. IMO they never go back 100%, and you run the risk of damage. If mine get dirty, nothing that penetrating oil and compressed air won't fix. If I don't have that handy, then a good soak in Dawn and hot running water.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

How important is dissassembly?

It's not. At all. I have taken many apart however because I enjoy it, and I and I don't care if I mess it up. I never have thankfully. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm surprised at how many here don't take their knives apart :eek:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a fair amount of mechanical aptitude. I have taken apart and repaired quite a few knives over the years, the first being a pinned construction penknife when I was around seven years old (it was halfway apart when I found it). 99% of my folding knives have never been taken apart, for "cleaning" or any other reason. In the normal course of events disassembly is unnecessary, and when it IS necessary, pinned construction is not a barrier for me. And yes, I have taken apart V-8 engines and put them back together, but not just for cleaning, and not just because I wanted to see the insides.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I enjoy taking mine apart, but Ive always been one to tinker. Spyderco even sold a tune-up kit for the Delica and Endure at one point that included everything except the blade, lockbar and I think lockbar spring. I found the need early by purchasing used (previously loved and abused) Spydies on eBay and tuning them up to like new.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm surprised at how many here don't take their knives apart :eek:
Why? As i said earlier, the engine in my car is also bolted and screwed together, but why would i disassemble it (unless it breaks down of course)
IMO there's no need whatsoever taking a functioning knife apart, no more than disassembling your dishwasher :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

xceptnl wrote:I enjoy taking mine apart, but Ive always been one to tinker. Spyderco even sold a tune-up kit for the Delica and Endure at one point that included everything except the blade, lockbar and I think lockbar spring. I found the need early by purchasing used (previously loved and abused) Spydies on eBay and tuning them up to like new.
Who's that?? Long time no see! :cool:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm surprised at how many here don't take their knives apart :eek:
Why? As i said earlier, the engine in my car is also bolted and screwed together, but why would i disassemble it (unless it breaks down of course)
IMO there's no need whatsoever taking a functioning knife apart, no more than disassembling your dishwasher :)
Some folks are inveterate tinkerers- and I get that.

Some people only fix stuff when it's broken- other folks fix it till it ends up broken. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Surfingringo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:I enjoy taking mine apart, but Ive always been one to tinker. Spyderco even sold a tune-up kit for the Delica and Endure at one point that included everything except the blade, lockbar and I think lockbar spring. I found the need early by purchasing used (previously loved and abused) Spydies on eBay and tuning them up to like new.
Who's that?? Long time no see! :cool:
I've been here brother, just lurking for 12 months.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Larry_Mott wrote:
i guess the main reason I'm surprised is because so many people on the forum seem frustrated when certain designs are pinned construction. There are also a lot of people on here who tinker and make their own scales but this thread doesn't seem to reflect that. It's all good man.

And I'm sorry, but comparing the disassembly of your cars engine to the dissasembly of a knife is a huge stretch.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I don't consider it when buying spyderco's but I don't take things apart unless I need too. I have only needed to take apart 2 spyderco's (MiniManix to figure out why the lock bar wasn't seating correctly and my Stretch CF which was extremely gritty). Aside from that it is asthetic things only.

Pinned knives are actually fine with me and I prefer them on the salts.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
i guess the main reason I'm surprised is because so many people on the forum seem frustrated when certain designs are pinned construction. There are also a lot of people on here who tinker and make their own scales but this thread doesn't seem to reflect that. It's all good man.

And I'm sorry, but comparing the disassembly of your cars engine to the dissasembly of a knife is a huge stretch.
Yeah, with the benefit of hindsight i can see it was a bit far fetched :)
Anyway, i wouldn't disassemble a knife (more than necessary for a scale swap) but fair play to all :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

i like taking knives apart so i can make sure the pivot area is clean and not rusting, especially on the more corrosion prone super steels like zdp. but yes, some people are a little more "comfortable" taking things apart and "able" to put them back together than others.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal