Blame Spyderco and the Forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bouhunter

Blame Spyderco and the Forum

Post by bouhunter »

Well I'll blame Spyderco first for making GREAT knives. And the forums here for encouraging me :)

I bought my first Spyderco 2 months ago. Now own:

Dragonfly Salt
Dragonfly HAP40
Delica 4
Jess Horn Lightweight (what a BEAUTIFUL blade on this thing)

Ordered a Native 5 Dark Blue Lightweight today.

I think I'm developing a problem :D
SG89

Re: Blame Spyderco and the Forum

Post by SG89 »

Yes we are all guilty of encouraging Spydie addiction!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

There is no hope, mate. The Spyderco Addiction has taken hold on you! :D :D Welcome to the forum!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Avoided the company all these years out of prejudice over the hole. Got sick of hearing about how great the PM2 is so I ordered one to speak from a position of experience when I battled the blind sheep spyderco followers. Boy was I surprised. I got the knife expecting to hate it....it overcame years of prejudice and won me over.

That was a month ago. I've purchased 9 more spyderco knives since then - and $225 in custom scales and stuff for PM2. The wife is hardly talking to me. Selling a couple Benchmade autos and a kershaw auto to ease the wife pain.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MadmanR1 wrote:Yeah I'm in the same boat. Avoided the company all these years out of prejudice over the hole. Got sick of hearing about how great the PM2 is so I ordered one to speak from a position of experience when I battled the blind sheep spyderco followers. Boy was I surprised. I got the knife expecting to hate it....it overcame years of prejudice and won me over.

That was a month ago. I've purchased 9 more spyderco knives since then - and $225 in custom scales and stuff for PM2. The wife is hardly talking to me. Selling a couple Benchmade autos and a kershaw auto to ease the wife pain.

The real secret is getting the wife her own knife. Get her to join the cult too lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
simon711

Post by simon711 »

Buying Spyderco knives is like a drug addiction, but in a good way. And if you buy the right ones, you can pretty much finance your addiction too. Some knives I bought have more than tripled in value. There really is no other knife company with such an extensive line of product.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bouhunter wrote:Well I'll blame Spyderco first for making GREAT knives. And the forums here for encouraging me :)

I bought my first Spyderco 2 months ago. Now own:

Dragonfly Salt
Dragonfly HAP40
Delica 4
Jess Horn Lightweight (what a BEAUTIFUL blade on this thing)

Ordered a Native 5 Dark Blue Lightweight today.

I think I'm developing a problem :D
Ha! Welcome to the :spyder: club! :D

I bought 18 in a little over 2 months. I got a little carried away but I don't spoil myself like that very often. There are a few others on my list that I'd like to have (Stretch, Southard, GB2, & Caly 3) if the right deals come along but I think I'm pretty much set for awhile. That is, at least until a couple of the new models that I have my eye on hit the market. In my defense, I did gift a couple to my son and one to my girlfriend to get their addictions started so it's all good!
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The venom is strong with these :spyder:'s, give in to the pain/pleasure :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Welcome bouhunter!
Sharp Guy wrote:I bought 18 in a little over 2 months. I got a little carried away but I don't spoil myself to like that very often. There are a few others on my list that I'd like to have (Stretch, Southard, GB2, & Caly 3) if the right deals come along but I think I'm pretty much set for awhile. That is, at least until a couple of the new models that I have my eye on hit the market. In my defense, I did gift a couple to my son and one to my girlfriend to get their addictions started so it's all good!
Thanks Sharp Guy, I no longer have a problem. :D
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I have the dark blue Native in my pocket right now. It's my "go to" knife. I'm sure you'll love it.
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Hey it's only money! Had one spyderco for years now at last count it's twenty-six. Guns and knives and boots my weaknesses.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

aquaman67 wrote:I have the dark blue Native in my pocket right now. It's my "go to" knife. I'm sure you'll love it.
Good to hear ;)
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

It really is addicting. I've had to tell a few white lies and try and explain my addiction many times. I've spent a good deal of my life saying I'm sorry and trying to explain myself anyway.
In another thread, I said the Sage 1 and Delica were great knives and favorites. The problem is I may change that opinion once a week. A 100 more people could post their favorite Spyderco and the reasons why it is. Nobody could argue for the most part. There are too many great knives.
At least I dodged the bullet on the whole Mantra, Positron, Southard thing..I'm not a big flipper fan. I have a ZT 0562. It's an awesome knife and smooth as glass. But, I probably flipped it 30 times and carried it once.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wait until you get into the Spyderco Salt addiction :) Get yourself a Pacific Salt and see what I mean.

H1 Steel!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Since there wasn't a good knife store closeby I fell into the habit of buying them to try out different designs and materials. The sprints and exclusives have been one of my weaknesses. After 3 years of that and 64 spydies later, I''ve tried most of the basic styles, blade steels and scale materials I'm interested in and have managed to taper off to the extent that I haven't bought a knife since mid November, though waning funds are partially responsible for that. And I do have a couple on pre-order and am eagerly awaiting the Ouroboras :D Luckily, I'm not much interested in most of the more flashy & expensive new designs.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

BostonTom wrote:It really is addicting. I've had to tell a few white lies and try and explain my addiction many times. I've spent a good deal of my life saying I'm sorry and trying to explain myself anyway.
In another thread, I said the Sage 1 and Delica were great knives and favorites. The problem is I may change that opinion once a week. A 100 more people could post their favorite Spyderco and the reasons why it is. Nobody could argue for the most part. There are too many great knives.
At least I dodged the bullet on the whole Mantra, Positron, Southard thing..I'm not a big flipper fan. I have a ZT 0562. It's an awesome knife and smooth as glass. But, I probably flipped it 30 times and carried it once.

I have put a 0562 in my cart several times and really want it but just can't pull the trigger. I am losing interest in flippers too, but that is one I really want. When you go to sell it to fund more Spydies hit me up. :).

As for the topic, the addiction hit me hard too as I bought 6 PM2's in two weeks a few weeks back. Bought a Manix 2 and a Yojimbo 2 but returned both because of blade centering issues. So, those don't count. And oddly, have no desire for them now. Guess I am afraid of getting another dud. That's what sucks about not being able to buy in store. My Grail Spydies are a ti Military and a Nirvana, but can't afford either, so those won't happen. But yes, being on these forums has cost me dearly.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I hear ya, I think it's more Forum and hearing all the great reviews of knives you hadn't considered...I was a spydie fan for about a year and a half when I joined the forum in January of 2015... Averaged a little over 2 a week since then...slowing down now...but still have a Rock Salt and the new Mule in the mail currently...but I haven't got one since the clipit Salt dropped, so I'm getting better.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Spydiehole!!!!! Save up or do what y have to do and get that Ti Millie!!! I got one right before Christmas, my boys surprised me with it.....it is nothing short of amazing!!! It's the fourth Millie I have and it is BY FAR my fav Millie!!! GP Knives had it on sale for $189!!
It's worth every penny!!!
Joe

And for the record......I blame Sal!!! How could you not buy 50 knives from that smiling gentleman???
gsapatka

Post by gsapatka »

Yah. I know what you mean. I've been infected since early 92'.

Pro Venator 1992
Endura 1993
Police Model 1993
Civilian 1993
Scorpius 1995
Byrd Robin 2000
Tenacious 2015
Para Military 2 Camo 2015
Manix 2 XL 2015
Police Model 2015
Manix 2 2015
Native 5 2015