Military---I finally got one.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Military---I finally got one.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sorry, problems with Photo Bucket. I'll be back.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Re: Military---I finally got one.

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats, Dan! Which version did you get?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

What flavor you get?

I took awhile to get a Military myself.... and pleasantly found it to carry a bit smaller than it actually is. Very lightweight.
I don't mind the clip orientation, either, which many people seem to have gripes about.
It's and incredible cutting tool! :D
Going back to Caly.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Congratulations! One really shouldn't be without a Military.
(personally also really like lightweight and tip down carry so I love this blade) (and the PM1,2 & 3, the whole family)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Better late than never Dan, it took me a while to finally pick one up myself, I probably had 20-30 others before I finally gave in. The military always looked to big to me and was very surprised when I finally got my first one and found out they carry so small, such a thin piece and light weight. Now I have 5 and its one of my favorites.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:Better late than never Dan, it took me a while to finally pick one up myself, I probably had 20-30 others before I finally gave in. The military always looked to big to me and was very surprised when I finally got my first one and found out they carry so small, such a thin piece and light weight. Now I have 5 and its one of my favorites.

Yep, exactly! :)

I only have a couple Millies, and hopefully eventually one more with the 52100, but this design by far rules my big folder category. Don't feel any need or much desire to pick up anything else in this size range because this does exactly what I need!
Going back to Caly.
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Have yet to get one. Only ones that appeal to me are entirely too expensive to get. So, not sure I f or when I ever will. Only interest in the Ti or blue m390 ones and boy are they steep.
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Love mine. All black flavor.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Military was one of my first Spydies.
It was love at first sight. An awesome knife for sure.
Mine is Blue S90V.
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bujutsukai

Post by Bujutsukai »

Just got a Military 2 yesterday. This blade, "It will cut" as my thumb found out. When fully opened, should there be any movement between the blade and scales/liner? The knife is still a little tight when opening but there is a slight "wiggle" when checking for movement.
Thanks.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bujutsukai wrote:Just got a Military 2 yesterday. This blade, "It will cut" as my thumb found out. When fully opened, should there be any movement between the blade and scales/liner? The knife is still a little tight when opening but there is a slight "wiggle" when checking for movement.
Thanks.

I think you're talking about side to side pivot play? If so you can usually tune that out by adjusting the pivot screw.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I meant to re-post this thread as I was having serious trouble with Photobucket and had to take down the content.

I got the black version as I was afraid I would get tired of the camo. I had a Camo PM2 that I gave to a friend who needed a good folder for a jungle trek. I was toying with the idea of getting another and then started playing with a Millie at my local B&M. I bought one from knifeworks.com and got my initials put on the blade. Nice.

I have never really liked liner locks as experience has taught me not to trust them (even if it says something with a Zero). But Spyderco does a better job. The lock up is early, but not too early...a good thing. I had a Manix 2 XL and did not like it. It was too small for my hand (dainty they ain't). I knew if I had gloves on I could not use the knife well. I sold it. (If you have large hands pay attention). The Millie is just right. I will post some pics in a day or so.

The tang on the Millie is twice as long as that of the Endura and the blade is thicker. The Millie has that confidence inspiring huge pivot. I love it. The only thing that could make this slicing machine better would be a stout modern mid back lock. A compression lock would be a good second choice.

What a great knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Awesome knife, love mine alot.
Especilally during wintertime it's my goto folder, very comfy to use with gloves on.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I agree, Doc, with those who say it carries smaller and lighter than expected. When I got my first one, I was surprised that it was noticeably lighter than my beloved Manix 2 (the hollow ground one w/o skeletonized liners). I'll have to admit that I carry my Cru Mil much more than my original favorite, the CF Manix 2 XL, because it carries smaller and lighter.

Here's some interesting weights, to me at least ;) --(my scales are only accurate to about +/- 0.05 oz):

Weight in ounces US:
4.25 -- Cru Manix2 G-10 (skeletonized)
4.45 -- Cru Mil G-10
4.85 -- Manix2 XL Carbon Fiber
5.00 -- Ti Mil Fluted
5.10 -- Manix2 G-10 (not skeletonized)
5.15 -- Manix2 XL G-10

I weighed these to point out how surprisingly light the Millie is by comparison, but the big surprise to me was (off topic :p ) how much lighter my CF S90V Manix2 XL is than my G-10 Manix2 XL. I can't wait to see how light the CF 52100 Millie is, if I'm lucky enough to get one!
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, the knife is amazingly light weight for its size. The Millie's tang is twice as long as the Endura and longer than the Manix as well. Plus, that huge pivot combined with that makes the knife seem very tough, indeed.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
palonej

Post by palonej »

One of the best in the Spydie line up!!!
I have a few, but this one is my favorite!! Ti Millie flat out rocks!!!
Joe
Attachments
image.jpeg
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I was slow on picking up a Military too. Just got one about 4 months ago. Bought it in B and M Army type store for $10 less then Internet prices. And to the eye it looked perfect-lockup, centering, grind everything. Probably, as perfect looking, functioning as any knife I own. That was a plus and I decided the light weight, handle comfort etc. were good. I had always dismissed it as being too big in the past.
Of course I couldn't have such good luck. I had only opened it maybe 40 times and never even carried. It was left at someone else's house (untouched). I grabbed it recently and noticed it was a tad off center. I ended up checking pivot screw and its stripped near the top. I have no idea how. I just hope it's not the scale (I doubt it). I'm going to have to contact the W and R see if I can get a new pivot screw.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spideyhole wrote:Have yet to get one. Only ones that appeal to me are entirely too expensive to get. So, not sure I f or when I ever will. Only interest in the Ti or blue m390 ones and boy are they steep.
I hear you LOUD & CLEAR on that one "Spideyhole" :cool: I've owned several of the Military models over the years and have loved all of them>> I still have a special love for the full Spyderedged 440V model which is a crocidile of a cutter IMO. A few months back I got an M390 with a digital camo G-10 handle and it's like I've gotten a completely different model all together. That M390 blade steel truly has been a GOD-Send.

But seriously this M390 version of the C-36 Military has been so much better than any of the others I've had. Up till that time my XHP version was my fav>> and I would still like to see what XHP would be like in full SpyderEdge. But M390 blade steel was truly made for the Military model IMO. And yes I too would like either an M390 or S110V version with a Titanium handle.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Mine are an S30V CE and a Cruwear, hoping to be able to get my hands on/afford a 52100 and hopefully someday get a full SE.
Real shame this is no longer produced in SE, maybe someday part of a sprint?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am looking forward to the KW exclusive Green G10 CTS204P, for some reason. I have not tried this steel and I like green G10 nearly as well as blue or black.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050