Spyderco Fever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lucky13

Spyderco Fever

Post by lucky13 »

So I am new to carrying a quality knife and wanted to share my experience that has led me to a serious case of what I refer to as Spydero Fever.

I have been carrying pocket knife for years changing them periodically but never trusting one or finding myself satisfied. Most recently I had a small two blade Buck knife ($15) that I carried while wearing a suit which is standard M-F and a 3 inch wood handle knife that I bought for under ten bucks. In under 90 days I realized that the 3 inch knife was becoming useless. While it felt sturdy in my hand it was not durable as a tool. I realized that I need to really invest in a knife if I am truly going to carry one daily and rely on it. After research and talking with some friends I decided on a Spyderco. The first Spyderco that I purchased is the Manix 2 lightweight. I received this knife and was extremely impressed with the quality, ergonomics, etc. I have no complaints at all.

I realized that this knife may be a bit big to carry while wearing suits so I searched an ordered the Spyderco Grasshopper Split SS. While I do like this knife I still thought that maybe I can find a more suitable EDC - then I ordered my Spyderco Chaparral Carbon Fiber and I have to say that this knife is one of the most perfect knifes for my lifestyle!

My Spyderco Fever just started at the beginning of April and I can tell you that I cannot wait until I get another one. I have been testing my knives and feel truly secure carrying this and relying on them when needed.

Peace!
BTG

Re: Spyderco Fever

Post by BTG »

Welcome to the Forum/Clinic....sounds like you have the fever alright, some good choices there right off the bat...The Manix lightweight is one of the most popular versions of a great knife, and for a gentlemans folder, you can't do much better than a CF Chaparral....I went with a positron, but ya can't go wrong with a spydie....you might want to try a Dragonfly 2, especially the G10 version, one of the best little knives with big performance that belies its size.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Chap is awesome. I had one and somewhat regret selling it, but I don't work in a suit and as such my knives take a little more use and it's nice to have something a little bigger. When I'm not working though, I really enjoy my Ti-Damascus Delica. If you like the Chaparral you should give one a look. Or the CF Caly, Caly Jr., Sage _, etc. Whatever you decide, your walled is doomed, but at least you'll be happy lol.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
harronek

Post by harronek »

Welcome to Spyderco .
You need a Delica in the mix .

Ken
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

Here is a pic
3 knives.jpg
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I'm currently looking at the Sage 3 CF/G-10 Bolt action and the Positron Flipper...
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Here's some encouragement. I don't want to peer pressure you...but "Come on!!!".

You might also consider a fluted titanium Native. Quite an impressive piece that pictures don't even begin to do justice. I'll throw in a Ti-Damascus Delica picture in for good measure.

---> Branden
harronek

Post by harronek »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Here's some encouragement. I don't want to peer pressure you...but "Come on!!!".
I'll throw in a Ti-Damascus Delica picture in for good measure.

Could you post another pic of the Damascus blade ?
My Damascus Delica has a totally different pattern and I didn't realise that there is so much variation .
Love those pics of the others as well .

Ken
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

Thank you for the welcome here Ken.

Those pics are great! The Damascus steel is sweet.

I love the bolt action, I feel that is the most secure.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Damascus patterns vary quite a lot. It's not a true Damascus pattern in the most purist of forms because it's a cladding on a VG-10 core, but there's still a lot of variation. Mine is very uniform in the sense that the layers don't really cross or touch each other. This is all I have on PB for pictures of my Delica. I don't want to derail the OP's thread though so if you want more detailed pics harronek PM me and I'll take some for you. I have a much better camera than I used to (Dedicated as well as phone) so I can easily get good pictures now.

---> Branden
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

Image[/url][/quote]

This is a work of art!
harronek

Post by harronek »

3rdGenRigger wrote:The Damascus patterns vary quite a lot. It's not a true Damascus pattern in the most purist of forms because it's a cladding on a VG-10 core, but there's still a lot of variation. Mine is very uniform in the sense that the layers don't really cross or touch each other. This is all I have on PB for pictures of my Delica. I don't want to derail the OP's thread though so if you want more detailed pics harronek PM me and I'll take some for you. I have a much better camera than I used to (Dedicated as well as phone) so I can easily get good pictures now.
Thanks for the reply , and I agree we shouldn't derail the Thread .
Those pics show me everything I need to know , yours is totally different from mine which has swirls and circles , very interesting .

Ken
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Mine has all the swirls on the tang, but unlike a lot of them, the swirls don't carry onto the blade itself.

And OP, I can't remember who it was and I'll try to remember, but recently a member here posted pictures of a Ti-Damascus Delica that he'd anodized the handle in a similar pattern and it was seriously cool looking.

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It was remnar...hope he doesn't mind me showing off one of his knives, but it is pretty **** cool IMO.

---> Branden
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The best Spyderco damascus ever.

Just a side thought in terms of thread drift or derailment. Let the thread go where it will.... :)
Attachments
P1011559.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lucky 13,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

A Cricket, plain or fancy, is a superb and classy Spydie, so small, light, and slim.
remnar

Post by remnar »

3rdGenRigger wrote:It was remnar...hope he doesn't mind me showing off one of his knives, but it is pretty **** cool IMO.

Don't mind at all 3rdGen.

OP, I prefer the Sage 2 slightly over the Sage 3.

BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

Welcome, I think the Sage series is close to perfection. The Sage 1 is my favorite. A 3 inch blade and comfortable carbon fiber handle. I like the classic leaf shaped blade and S30V steel. It's also very light weight and has a great wire clip. The Sage 3 is really nice too. I own both. Can't go wrong with either one.
The Delica IMO is a must have. Perfect size. Numerous colors, blade steels etc to choose from. I like the plain old VG10, FRN, saber ground version. For $60 it really is a bargain.
I own many more knives and quite a few are more expensive but these are two of the best.
Tom
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I failed to mention that those pics are incredible. Nice knives..