Navaja Ratchet Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How would you best describes your Navaja Carraca <ratchet sound> condition, thank you!

Poll ended at Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:29 am

My Navaja ratchet <sound> is pristine because it's a safe queen
31%
My Navaja is a user and the ratchet is as good as new, or nearly so
31%
My ratchet <sound> is noticeably diminished, but still good
15%
My ratchet <sound> is greatly diminished from new condition, but not gone
No votes
My ratchet sound is non-existent or barely there
23%
I've had my ratchet repaired under W&R
No votes

Total votes: 13

paladin

Navaja Ratchet Poll

Post by paladin »

It's been 4 or 5 years since the release of C147 Navaja by Ed Schempp, a very distinct and beautiful design-- one of my favorites... :D

Perhaps it's a good time to check in to see how many are still clicking for us forumites....

Please tick the first option if your Navaja is pristine because it's a safe queen and sees no use...

The other choices can apply if your Navaja usage ranges from anything you'd consider light duty to daily EDC...

Please feel free to leave comments in the thread... :)

As for me, I've had my Navaja since release and it's ratchet has just now gone silent. I would call my Navaja usage as light, but it has been opened / shut more times than I would want to count! :cool:
gbelleh

Re: Navaja Ratchet Poll

Post by gbelleh »

My Navaja isn't a safe queen, but it doesn't see very much use these days. Its carraca sound is still going strong.
:bug-red-white
paladin

Post by paladin »

Thanks Gino, guess there's not a lot of Navaja users / owners on the forum... :confused:
timlara

Post by timlara »

I voted "safe queen". I'm mainly into knives I consider "users" these days, but the Navaja is one of the few "collectors" I've held onto just because I like it. Despite the unconventional shape, It actually is a pretty usable design, but the big thing that keeps me from carrying mine more is that it's pretty hard to unlock with the recessed lock tab and fairly strong spring.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Mine isn't a safe queen, but it doesn't see a huge amount of use either. Being aware that some owners had issues with the ratchet spring, I have tried not to over-do the mindless flicking, but I do love the sound of it :D.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Another here that uses the Navaja, but only light use. My ratchet is fine as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

I love my Navaja but when I hardly ever mess with it because like others have said when I was researching this knife I read about people having problems with the mechanism so I don’t want to wear it out.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Mine has quieted down a little bit, but still has the feel.
I carry and use it often. Great knife!
Going back to Caly.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Mine gets used very little, but I do carry it from time to time. The ratchet was nice up until recently, but has gone almost silent. You can still feel the ratcheting when opening a little, but it is nearly gone.
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

Anybody know how many of these were made?

Also I got mine out today and was playing with it for the life of me I can't figure out what it is that makes the clicking sound. I can see a little gear looking thing inside but can't see what it actually rubs on to make the noise?
paladin

Post by paladin »

JimJones wrote:Anybody know how many of these were made?

Also I got mine out today and was playing with it for the life of me I can't figure out what it is that makes the clicking sound. I can see a little gear looking thing inside but can't see what it actually rubs on to make the noise?
Jim check out this EXCELLENT :D thread started by makariotes over on BF on an amazing knife from Spyderco & perennial stand-up guy Ed Schempp :)

I'll call it "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About The Spyderco Ed Schempp Navaja, But Were Afraid to Void Your Warranty!" :eek: ;) :p

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ght=Navaja
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

Thanks Paladin awesome thread. It was nice to actually be able to see what makes this thing tick. Its definitely in my top 5 favorite folding knives of all time maybe tied for first don’t really know I also really love my Bob Lum Tanto.

I wonder if Spyderco has any production #'s on this knife?

I think we need some pics