Des Horn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RobDigi

Des Horn

Post by RobDigi »

I'm really feeling the Spyderco Des Horn lately...
from what I hear this unique Spyderco is discontinued.
So I'm thinking about getting one before they're gone.
Des Horn makes some real works of art...the Spyderco version looks like the very beautiful Des Horn Concorde...
which I could never afford!
Wondering why this Spyderco version never had much appeal ?
Any pics in the wild ?
Attachments
deshorn_halfopen.jpg
SpyderNut

Re: Des Horn

Post by SpyderNut »

Sal mentioned that very thing about the Des Horn at the BLADE Show a few years back. For some reason, the Des never caught the fire of popularity. :confused: It may have had something to do with its Wharncliffe style blade; A lot of folks seem to prefer other blade configurations for EDC (e.g. drop point, leaf, clip, etc.) Nevertheless, it's a great design and definitely worth a closer look.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have one. It is extremely light weight, has a tip down wire clip, has a great blade to handle ratio, is as smooth as glass and has tons of style. I love mine. I also love wharncliffes.

Downsides? The tip is very fine. It is a total splinter picker. It is a gents folder to me and I am not much of a gent. I don't carry it a ton but do really like it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

These are crappy cellphone pics but they show it with my other wharnies. Sorry they are so dirty. It is very sunny here and they seem to always look dirty in full sun pics.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Love this knife. So smooth and I dig the design. Probably my favorite Spydie as far as looks go.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Love everything about it except that it's tip down. When every other knife you own is tip up it's easy to forget when drawing from the pocket.
sal

Post by sal »

It's a beautiful piece and very well made. Des is a custom makers maker. A dentist by trade as I remember.

sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

Excellent pic Spydiechick!!
Joe
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Yes I like the pics especially spydergirl...it's on the way!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The Des Horn model is fantastic though I have a few minor quibbles (sharp edges and steel choice). I do hope Spyderco does some more collabs with him, he's a favorite maker of mine. He combines artistic talents with an interest in each knife performing at an extremely high level (those two rarely go together to this extent).

If you can find the right price for one, I highly recommend jumping on a Des Horn. It won't be an EDC, but for what it is, it's a great piece to own and carry on certain occasions.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's the blade shape...obviously a lot of people like them, but I've always liked the more leaf shaped blades......wharnies, like this...the Air, Nilakka...have that Prison shank kinda look to me.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

BTG wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's the blade shape.....the Air, Nilakka...have that Prison shank kinda look to me.
Hey! I resent that lol :P
Spydergirl88
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

For some reason the Des Horn has escaped my compulsive clutches, I dont know why because I do like the look of the DH and am fond of smaller blades. I sure wish I would have jumped on that sale a while back for like $60-$70, who had that sale again, I think its were you got yours Spydergirl....
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

BTG wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's the blade shape...obviously a lot of people like them, but I've always liked the more leaf shaped blades......wharnies, like this...the Air, Nilakka...have that Prison shank kinda look to me.
Sometimes I think the leaf shaped blades have a spatula look to them :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

farnorthdan wrote:For some reason the Des Horn has escaped my compulsive clutches, I dont know why because I do like the look of the DH and am fond of smaller blades. I sure wish I would have jumped on that sale a while back for like $60-$70, who had that sale again, I think its were you got yours Spydergirl....
It was an Amazon lightning deal. The one time I got a knife from Amazon that didn't have to be returned due to the knife being used and abused. The Taichung plastic bag was actually still sealed. Ok sorry for the rant. ;)
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ABX2011 wrote:
BTG wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's the blade shape...obviously a lot of people like them, but I've always liked the more leaf shaped blades......wharnies, like this...the Air, Nilakka...have that Prison shank kinda look to me.
Haha, get him! :D
Spydergirl88
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ABX2011 wrote:
Curious to hear your take on the Lum Chinese :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Larry_Mott wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:
Curious to hear your take on the Lum Chinese :)

Not a fan, I don't mind the blade, but I'm also not a fan of curved handles...don't think I own a single one...Mamba and Tighe stick almost got me, but decided to pass on both...curved scales and wide blades make for a very wide pocket presence..can't get my hand in...on the other hand lthink my only " shank " lol is an Ayoob....never carried it though, had to check it out with all the raves about it ...never really warmed to it....oh yeah...and the Des Horn has a wire clip...just too much for me to get over!!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

RobDigi wrote:I'm really feeling the Spyderco Des Horn lately...
from what I hear this unique Spyderco is discontinued.
So I'm thinking about getting one before they're gone.
Des Horn makes some real works of art...the Spyderco version looks like the very beautiful Des Horn Concorde...
which I could never afford!
Wondering why this Spyderco version never had much appeal ?
Any pics in the wild ?
Actually, I feel that the picture I took that you used in your post is of a Des Horn 'in the wild'! ;) :)
I've since changed the clip to an all black wireclip, I think it fits the look of the design better and it makes for an even more low-profile carry.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram