Serge Roc shaking off the new, size comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Serge Roc shaking off the new, size comparison

Post by dbcad »

It was exciting to receive this model last week. I was taken by the unique shape and possibilities it offers.

Action was a bit stiff out of the box. Luckily I don't have a torx large enough to fit the pivot bolt, the action has smoothed out beautifully over the past couple of days on it's own. The factory edge was reasonably sharp, but not what I've grown accustomed to sharpening my own. I took the angle down to where it will be easily touchable on the Sharpmaker 30° setting. It is now very silly sharp as vg-10 was intended to be :D :D

Other than those initial quibbles I find I really enjoy this uniquely shaped knife :D After it's been played with a bit the action is delightful and effortless. The opening "click" is remarkably quiet yet the lockup is solid. It feels secure both open and closed. The grip is very comfortable as well, it feels very nice in hand. Pocket feel is fine also, I forget it's there in my blue jeans. The initial sharp feel of g10 handles has disappeared entirely after a couple of days of carry.

All that aside we have a nice broad cleaver shaped saber ground 3" piece of steel on the end of a very nicely done stick. I believe for me it will work pretty well :) Something tells me this model might well go into the under appreciated category which it doesn't deserve. This model for me in hand feels like it's ready to work in a very no nonsense way. It hasn't been pushed past the little bit of wood and cardboard I cut this morning but it will be and my perspective will grow accordingly.

I'm glad I found this unique gem.

Charlie
Attachments
roc.jpg
Blerv

Re: Serge Roc shaking off the new, size comparison

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the comparison pics and your thoughts :)!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

dbcad wrote:we have a nice broad cleaver shaped saber ground 3" piece of steel on the end of a very nicely done stick.

I like this description. It's how basic every knife review should come down to! :p

Nice size comparison shot.
I'd really like to get my mitts onto one of these sooner than later.
Going back to Caly.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Thanks for your post, quite enjoyed the short read.
I would love to get one, but for me the price point is killing it. Really sad.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi vilePossum,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just touching back on this model.......

The action is beautifully smooth now, had to touch the pivot screw and found a larger torx socket in my toolbox, always fun to see what I have in there, been out of the auto repair occupation about 2 decades now. Pivot screw is a bit touchy ;) I don't even need to put a driver handle or ratchet on it, it only takes a small twist of the socket (1/32 or less of a turn) to adjust. I might want some Loctite in the future but I'll wait a little bit longer to see how it reacts.

After a week of carry the handles feel very nice, no hint of sharpness in them :) The Roc is quite comfy in hand :D

Open and in hand with a thumb on the jimping the Roc is a cutting machine :D This past week of carry and use informs me this knife will not shirk from any task. It's cut wood, been used on a chopping block, sliced up a few boxes with absolutely no complaint. A pleasure for me to hold and use :) This model screams to me "open and use :eek: :eek: " . It will not disappoint with a sharp edge :D :D

No additional lubricant has been used. No modifications have been made except for the edge. Price point is a bit high, but for me its worth it to have vg-10 coupled with a liner lock in such a unique and useawble package.
A nice sharp Kiwi4 makes a perfect companion :D
Attachments
rockiwi.jpg
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ That does look like a great usable combo with contrasting traits!
Going back to Caly.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Thank you. I'm very interested to hear what you find its strengths in use to be, over time.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

One strength with the edge I have on it is wood cutting. It'll hog out very large and long strips easily. Not very nimble due to it's breadth but very stable. Also works pretty well on a cutting board, not as well as a kitchen purposed knife, but well enough. It'a pretty strong and tough.

When you get your hand in a good grip and your thumb on the jimping on the back of the blade you don't see too many limits on what you can cut.

Charlie
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Yhanks for thr comparrison shot. Delica sized knives are what I carry the most so the Roc is going to the top of my buy list!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Another week of carry and I find myself enjoying the Roc more and more :) It doesn't seem to be better suited for any type of cutting more than any other 3mm thick saber ground blade, but I do notice that it feels incredibly stable. No part of this stubby shaped blade is flexing or moving at all. The well designed handle probably helps in this perception.

Yesterday I used it to cut open a bag of charcoal, slice up the remains of another, then inside to chop up some onions, tomatoes, peppers and cilantro. It does everything I ask without complaint. There's no pointy tip to watch out for and the bead blast finish keeps the blade look consistent. I find myself quite happy to take this knife anywhere and tackle any cutting task :D

The pivot screw wants to wander a bit, I'll pick up some Loctite later today to remedy that if needed.

I would recommend this model to anyone wanting a nice stable cutting tool. Get past the new, make the edge your own and you'll have a very enjoyable cutting tool. It solves the steel and stick compromise quite nicely :D

Attached is a comparison pic I made for another yesterday. Different models, different characteristics and personalities. Diversity is truly enlightening, enjoyable, and stabilizing.

Charlie
Attachments
three.jpg
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Think you again! It still looks great!
TheRealCJ

Post by TheRealCJ »

I've been having real trouble sharpening this knife. I got it only a week ago, and decided to do what you did, put a 30 degree bevel on it with the sharpmaker. It's fantastic, but for some reason I can get the belly super sharp, but the last 1/2 inch before the tip just *won't* sharpen to a proper edge, it barely slices paper.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

TheRealCJ wrote:I've been having real trouble sharpening this knife. I got it only a week ago, and decided to do what you did, put a 30 degree bevel on it with the sharpmaker. It's fantastic, but for some reason I can get the belly super sharp, but the last 1/2 inch before the tip just *won't* sharpen to a proper edge, it barely slices paper.
There are a number of potential things going on from a burr to a slight difference in the grind as it ends near the tip.

A basic rule (just if you hadn't heard) is to go slowly with the stones and let them do the cutting rather than speed or pressure.Often when sharpening a knife most the stroke is consistent but as you run out of blade the tip lightly drags on the end of the motion.

Given the shape of the Roc you might try to lay the sharpmaker stones flat like a small benchstone and do a couple passes that way. Good luck!
TheRealCJ

Post by TheRealCJ »

Blerv wrote:
TheRealCJ wrote:I've been having real trouble sharpening this knife. I got it only a week ago, and decided to do what you did, put a 30 degree bevel on it with the sharpmaker. It's fantastic, but for some reason I can get the belly super sharp, but the last 1/2 inch before the tip just *won't* sharpen to a proper edge, it barely slices paper.
There are a number of potential things going on from a burr to a slight difference in the grind as it ends near the tip.

A basic rule (just if you hadn't heard) is to go slowly with the stones and let them do the cutting rather than speed or pressure.Often when sharpening a knife most the stroke is consistent but as you run out of blade the tip lightly drags on the end of the motion.

Given the shape of the Roc you might try to lay the sharpmaker stones flat like a small benchstone and do a couple passes that way. Good luck!
I've tried just about every which way now to put a decent edge on it, and it comes up the same results every time; A lovely hair-whittling back edge and belly, and the last 4-5mm are practically completely blunt. I just cannot get a uniform edge on it, and it's driving me mad.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Thanks for the usage reports Charlie...I find those kinds the most helpful.

I wish the Roc had a choil, however. I will modify a choil for one if I'm fortunate enough to find a Roc for a "moddable" price. ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TheRealCJ wrote:
Blerv wrote:

I've tried just about every which way now to put a decent edge on it, and it comes up the same results every time; A lovely hair-whittling back edge and belly, and the last 4-5mm are practically completely blunt. I just cannot get a uniform edge on it, and it's driving me mad.
The knife is likely a bit thicker behind the edge up there and/or the bevel is a bit obtuse. Keep working that area at a low grit until you have it fully apexed. Once you have that done and have removed any burr, it will sharpen up just as easily as the rest of the edge.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Great report. Thank you