Article from today's Golden Globe newspaper - Spyderco to stop making knives!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Article from today's Golden Globe newspaper - Spyderco to stop making knives!

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just read this article, so sad, Spyderco to stop making knives in 2018 and instead make lawn mower blades :confused: :mad: :(

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
demoncase

Re: Article from today's Golden Globe newspaper - Spyderco to stop making knives!

Post by demoncase »

:D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Blerv

Re: Article from today's Golden Globe newspaper - Spyderco to stop making knives!

Post by Blerv »

I clicked and facepalmed as it was loading.

The point goes to you! :D :o
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

In other news, happy April 1st.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
palonej

Post by palonej »

Wait a sec.......what's today's date????
:D :D
Imagine if this were true???? We'd all be taking second and third mortgages out!!!
Joe
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Dang, here I was hoping I could get an S110V blade for my mower, no more pitching those rocks out of the way, just cut them up into pea gravel :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

:D
:bug-red-white
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Lawn mowers are the new hipster edc, didn't figure Sal and Eric to be jumping on the bandwagon so soon! Heard a new Spydie 'LBLM' is in the works w/ a hybrid electric motor that'll fit in the coin pocket.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well shoot. This is extremely unfortunate news. :( I just wonder if their new Spydie-Mow will eventually feature Superblue blades? Hmmmmm.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

It's just as well. I was about to start a topic on my decision to stop buying Spydercos and switch to Sears Craftsman knives. They're better because they don't have those messy holes in the blades, and besides, Sears has been around even longer than Spyderco, and they could use our help, what with Sal taking away a lot of their lawn mower blade business.

A compact mower with an S110V blade and a blurple G-10 housing would be pretty keen, especially if it happens to be one with the coarse peel-ply.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
camporama

Post by camporama »

Aww man, no work hardening H1 lawnmower blade.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Will the mower blades be made of adamantium like the new Spyderclaws? If so, then this could be quite a money maker.
remnar

Post by remnar »

DougC-3 wrote:It's just as well. I was about to start a topic on my decision to stop buying Spydercos and switch to Sears Craftsman knives. They're better because they don't have those messy holes in the blades, and besides, Sears has been around even longer than Spyderco, and they could use our help, what with Sal taking away a lot of their lawn mower blade business.

A compact mower with an S110V blade and a blurple G-10 housing would be pretty keen, especially if it happens to be one with the coarse peel-ply.
No way! It must have a titanium housing. I'm tired of mine rusting out and I think G-10 would crack and chip too easily.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I can only hope that there will be Mule Team lawn mowers offered occasionally.
Also high end lawn mowers of beauty and usefulness as a part of the Chaparral line......that will actually cut chaparral.

As usual, we can always count on something new and innovative at Spyderco.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I only hope Ricky Gervais really is a knife knut, too. ;)
Going back to Caly.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's an A for effort. It is printed on printer paper... crinkled up, scanned. The height looks like 8.5x11 paper, too white to be newsprint though it looks like it was darkened.

It would be interesting to hear how lawn mower blades could be a big seller. I don't think I've ever heard of someone buying a new lawn mower blade.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
remnar

Post by remnar »

I think we're all missing the big news here. Apparently the UN does actually still get involved in tough international matters.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I want the first Unobtainium blade for a 33" cut Snapper please.............
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Donut wrote: It would be interesting to hear how lawn mower blades could be a big seller. I don't think I've ever heard of someone buying a new lawn mower blade.

Seriously? I'm assuming you must live, and have grown up, in a metropolitan city?

I've been sharpening and replacing mower blades nearly my whole life...
It's a regular occurrence for anyone with a large yard.
Going back to Caly.
remnar

Post by remnar »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Donut wrote: It would be interesting to hear how lawn mower blades could be a big seller. I don't think I've ever heard of someone buying a new lawn mower blade.

Seriously? I'm assuming you must live, and have grown up, in a metropolitan city?

I've been sharpening and replacing mower blades nearly my whole life...
It's a regular occurrence for anyone with a large yard.
I'm with you SpeedHoles. I just spent almost two hours mowing my lawn and between the rocks that the moles keep pushing up and my carelessness, I've had to replace a few blades over the years. Besides, if Spyderco is making them, then you know you're going to have to try every new model, especially the sprint run blades. :D