Your "most worn out" Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Your "most worn out" Spyderco?

Post by SpyderNut »

None of my knives are even close to being worn out. :o I have a desk job too, so most of my daily "uber-hard-use" cutting chores come in the form of opening mail and occasionally cutting an errant string off of my clothes. :rolleyes: At this rate, it would virtually take me six lifetimes to dull my S110V Native. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

farnorthdan wrote:Yep that native definitely has a unique blade shape ;)

@Darby, what did you use to make that notch, I've been thinking about adding to a couple of mine? I was considering using my chainsaw file.
I used a medium sharpmaker rod and then another ceramic stone I have that I cannot identify. The notch has never posed a real problem for me and I still use this a lot. In general I agree with Lance about the risk of the notch snagging but it hasn't been a problem with this little utility knife. The Swick3 is a straight edge and I sharpen it on usually coarse bench stones. The notch makes it easy to sharpen the entire edge real fast which is how I treat this thing. I am pretty indifferent about them but probably wouldn't put one on a knife of my own design. I carry a Centofante4 on occasion and it has one too and it has never been a problem. I would try it and see if you have problems.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Surfingringo wrote:This one.
greetings mr. gringo i have a question. since you're heavily processing fish i would like to know why you prefer an h1 folder pac salt than a fixed h1 blade like the aqua salt? what are the advantages?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sorry for OT, but if the notch is made sharp (i.e. like inner part of serration), no snagging should occur. So cut in at an angle rather than flat grinding into the edge/tang.
However, my use is light so you'd say it's not tested by real life experiences :o

To each it's own, I guess.
(Lance, friendly disagreement here :spyder:)
Chris :spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

npad69 wrote:
greetings mr. gringo i have a question. since you're heavily processing fish i would like to know why you prefer an h1 folder pac salt than a fixed h1 blade like the aqua salt? what are the advantages?
Hi npad, I'll try to give you the best answer I can. I have tried many different knives in my kayak fishing, including the Aqua Salt. I have discovered a number of things about my uses and needs.

1. I have found that I find it useful to carry both a fixed blade and a folder.
2. I like to have a pe knife and serrated knife for different duties.
3. I do not like to fish or paddle with exposed edges on the deck. (Much can happy very quickly that makes that situation dangerous)
4. I find it quicker to access a folder one handed than to remove a fixed blade from a kydex sheath.
5. I prefer my fixed blade to be the pe option as I will sometimes use it to remove fillets.

**One other requirement worth noting is that I need a sharp point on my fishing knives. I often regrind knives (Pacific Salt for example) to make the tips more acute. The tip of the Aqua Salt is a bit obtuse for me and the grind of that knife makes it difficult to regrind without destroying the aesthetics.

The best combo I have found for my uses is a serrated Pacific Salt and a versatile pe fixed blade. Recently I was having a bit of trouble finding the perfect fixed blade for my uses so I designed one with the help of a talented knifemaker. I just picked up the prototype last week actually. It was made by custom knifemaker Darrin Sanders and is made from ZiFiNit steel, which is the equivalent of lc200n. I will be testing it extensively over the coming months and will try to leave feedback here on the steel and how it performs. This is a steel that Spyderco is now using on some of their new knives so I thought some here might find the feedback interesting.
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

bh49 wrote:my 2013Forum Native will be my champion. I was removing steel from spine already twice, so the tip wouldn't stick-out
Persian also saw some use

Win :eek: :cool:
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

It gets used in the saltwater daily, has been sharpened hundreds of times and the handle is covered in scratches and dents from prying open the mouths of big toothy fish to remove hooks. It has reeked of fish since the day I got it. I love it...smells like victory. :)

*It's worth noting that given all that, it's nowhere remotely near "worn out".
. I like it ! What an endorsement for Spyderco quality and toughness ! Delica 3 ?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Kirko wrote:I like it ! What an endorsement for Spyderco quality and toughness ! Delica 3 ?
Hi Kirko, that is a Pacific Salt. I regrind the tips to make them pointy like the old Delicas. :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am a fan of spyderco precisely because I haven't been able to wear any out. I rotate through a lot of knives so they all share the load. my most used would be:

CE Military
SE Tasman Salt
CE Delica 4
PE Native (just because it has been around so long)

None of them are even close to being retireable.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Currently my most used and beaten on is my Manix2 DLC. Nowhere near being worn out and its still got years and years and years of use before I even have to consider retiring it.
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

Of all my Spyderco knives, my old grey VG10 Endura and my Pacific Salt have seen the most use/abuse. They are not the most carried, that would go to either my PM2 or Manix 2 LW S110v. No, these are what I go to when there is dirty work to be done. This Endura has cleaned many, many, many catfish and is the go-to for work in the family garden.Image

I had to include my trusty Pacific Salt. This knife has been along on countless dives and swimming trips as well as going running with me everyday. If for nothing else, simply putting up with my sweat and grime, it deserves some sort of recognition. Image
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mine would be my Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189. It's not exactly "worn out" but it's my oldest, although only about 2 years old. It's still early days yet on my collecting but that one will always be the first.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote: At this rate, it would virtually take me six lifetimes to dull my S110V Native. :D
Michael,
You can always come to visit and I will present you an opportunity to dull your S110V Native in no time (to compare with lifetime) :) :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: At this rate, it would virtually take me six lifetimes to dull my S110V Native. :D
Michael,
You can always come to visit and I will present you an opportunity to dull your S110V Native in no time (to compare with lifetime) :) :D
My dear Roman,
You are too kind, sir. :D Hopefully we can start things off by cutting up some asphalt shingles... Maybe then transition to slicing through some 5/8" drywall, and with any luck, maybe we'll hit a screw and see what all this fuss with S110V is really all about. :p

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice wharnie forum N5 there Roman! Holy smokes!! :eek:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I don't use any of my knives hard but am really impressed by S30V and s PM2. One of my PM2s, I've used far more then any other knife. Even though it usually only cuts up soda 12 packs and other recycling stuff.
My Sister got a huge furniture shipment. i took a sleigh bed from her and cardboard to protect the wood in my truck. The movers left behind 4 pieces of double wall corrugated cardboard. Covered in glue, packing tape, dirt and grease on a couple. Stuff was rated for serious weight.
A regular box cutter would only cut one side at a time and not really touch the walls. I used my PM2 on it and cut the whole width of cardboard.
There were 4 pieces of double wall about 5' by 6' average. Plus other single sided cardboard.
I really beat on the knife going through the double wall stuff. It was so tough, the knife hung up a lot. Usually about 2' into a straight cut. I cut it all into 4" pieces. I had zipped thru a bunch of regular cardboard first. I thought the edge would have damage and maybe put some play in blade. I cleaned it up with soap and water. Used a blow dryer. Touched up on SM. Knife is like new. Rock solid and every part of edge cutting newspaper. Just had to listen to- why are you using my blow dryer on one of your knives ? You can't put it in the dishwasher ? I need to move to Maine..
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Michael,
My dear Roman,
You are too kind, sir. :D Hopefully we can start things off by cutting up some asphalt shingles... Maybe then transition to slicing through some 5/8" drywall, and with any luck, maybe we'll hit a screw and see what all this fuss with S110V is really all about. :p
Good,
You are on the right track. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Michael,
My dear Roman,
Good,
You bet. Just as long as I can later use it to cut some pizza. :p

bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Michael,
My dear Roman,
Good,
Did John Kasich teach you eat pizza with knife???????????? We do not do this here, in CT :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Michael,
My dear Roman,
Good,
Did John Kasich teach you eat pizza with knife???????????? We do not do this here, in CT :)
ROFL!! :D :) :D Nah, I was home-schooled, so I picked that trick up naturally. :p