Massdrop appears to be conforming to MAP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
palonej

Re: Massdrop appears to be conforming to MAP

Post by palonej »

MAP or no MAP Spydies are still an excellent value. I personally don't see an extra few bucks stopping me from buying a knife I like.
I'm sure it wasn't easy for Spydie to go the MAP way....... I'm gonna keep buying like I did before......although it was REALLY sweet scoring a brand new Yoji for $100 shipped from Tops and a Ti Millie for $189 from GP!!!!!
Joe
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

i'm already paying a premium for the spydercos i have because i want to support my local blade shop.

in a world where 2 dollar utility knives exist, a good folding knife is a luxury, and it's okay to have a range of prices.

will i buy something like the rubicon? no, and as we're seeing, the forces of low demand still apply pressure downwards.

i'll buy the updated rubicon :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
palonej

Post by palonej »

^^^ I like the way you think bro!!
Joe
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

While we were all sitting around the table down at Trapper Jon's Knives here the other day I brought up MAP. Jon felt that MAP was a good thing for the small B&M shops as a way to compete with the big box internet dealers and felt that without MAP the smaller shops would continue to disappear, as so many have. He also said that, although he complies with MAP, he usually can and will beat any internet price on the knives he carries, if the customer asks. MAP only applies to advertised pricing and not the final sale price, which allows B&M store dealers to compete for the market. So MAP doesn't concern us at Trapper Jon's, where we continue to enjoy good deals on our :spyder: knives. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

curlyhairedboy wrote:i'm already paying a premium for the spydercos i have because i want to support my local blade shop.

in a world where 2 dollar utility knives exist, a good folding knife is a luxury, and it's okay to have a range of prices.

will i buy something like the rubicon? no, and as we're seeing, the forces of low demand still apply pressure downwards.

i'll buy the updated rubicon :D
Also a very good point!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

gbelleh wrote:So far this year, I've only bought 2 Spydies, one sprint, and one at 60% off MSRP. I wasn't sure how the MAP pricing would affect my purchases, but I do have to say, it has taken the fun out of the hunt for Spydies. I always enjoyed unexpectedly finding and jumping on a great sale price. Now, with those on-the-fence models, I'm finding myself content to just wait for discontinued clearance sales. No longer any point in checking around for sales.
This ^^ ... I agree, it is too bad ... my purchases will now be limited to the few 'must haves', although MAP is making the criteria for that classification a little stiffer as well ...
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Vendors everywhere are upset about Amazon and other retail disruptors. Apparently Spyderco was responsive to their complaints and now we have pricing set by a factory. Not a great business model.

As for me, I now only buy Spyderco's I need. And with drawers full of knives, 'need' is a pretty exclusive filter.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

El Gato wrote:While we were all sitting around the table down at Trapper Jon's Knives here the other day I brought up MAP. Jon felt that MAP was a good thing for the small B&M shops as a way to compete with the big box internet dealers and felt that without MAP the smaller shops would continue to disappear, as so many have. He also said that, although he complies with MAP, he usually can and will beat any internet price on the knives he carries, if the customer asks. MAP only applies to advertised pricing and not the final sale price, which allows B&M store dealers to compete for the market. So MAP doesn't concern us at Trapper Jon's, where we continue to enjoy good deals on our :spyder: knives. :)
Man, I'd love to have a local store that carried any Spyderco's at all, especially at anything under MSRP. Of course I'd be broke...

On the one hand I too have enjoyed hunting for bargains on a new Spydie. On the other hand, when I'm trying to acquire a hot new Sprint run knife, MAP means I go ahead and buy it at the first (reputable) dealer I can find it at, knowing I won't see it lower than MAP. I guess I have to admit that my purchases would be considered a luxury; NOBODY needs 250-300 Spydies :D. When I realized I had spent many thousands of $$ on Spydies over the years, a little light went off in my head :).

My purchases might have slowed down some, but I still buy new ones now and then, and I don't think I'll be able to resist any of the new Military/Paramilitary/Manix Sprints if I can find them.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

rodloos wrote:Man, I'd love to have a local store that carried any Spyderco's at all, especially at anything under MSRP. Of course I'd be broke...

On the one hand I too have enjoyed hunting for bargains on a new Spydie. On the other hand, when I'm trying to acquire a hot new Sprint run knife, MAP means I go ahead and buy it at the first (reputable) dealer I can find it at, knowing I won't see it lower than MAP. I guess I have to admit that my purchases would be considered a luxury; NOBODY needs 250-300 Spydies :D. When I realized I had spent many thousands of $$ on Spydies over the years, a little light went off in my head :).

My purchases might have slowed down some, but I still buy new ones now and then, and I don't think I'll be able to resist any of the new Military/Paramilitary/Manix Sprints if I can find them.
Brother, I wish that you could join us in person around the table at Trapper Jon's Knives. You would fit right in.......because we are all broke.....except for Trapper Jon!! :D

But think of how much fun and enjoyment those 250 - 300 Spydies have given you, and still do. The money? It would have been spent anyway, possibly not bringing near as much satisfaction, and with the knives you have something of value to show for your investments.

As I see it, that little light that went off should signify an accomplishment well done, and personally I salute you! ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

gbelleh wrote:So far this year, I've only bought 2 Spydies, one sprint, and one at 60% off MSRP. I wasn't sure how the MAP pricing would affect my purchases, but I do have to say, it has taken the fun out of the hunt for Spydies. I always enjoyed unexpectedly finding and jumping on a great sale price. Now, with those on-the-fence models, I'm finding myself content to just wait for discontinued clearance sales. No longer any point in checking around for sales.
Similar here. I got a HAP40 D'fly and that's about it this year for new models. Snagged a small deal on a GB 2 with a coupon, but didn't like it so it looks like 1 Spydie for me so far this year. I really don't like the imposed pricing and I can't see it shutting down Amazon anytime soon. I just can't afford where much of the line is going currently and MAP hurts my wallet even more...

As for Massdrop, what's the point if its the same price as everywhere else? At least I can find deals on Kershaws there still...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I haven't really taken a hard look at before/after data. Is there really a serious difference in price now? From what I've seen at my local store, it's about the same price-wise as it was before, except now they can advertise at the same prices or near it as the bigger retailers and increase their business. For me as a customer, that's great.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Wanting to find out more about MAP, I stumbled upon this article. Pretty interesting...

https://www.nuvonium.com/blog/view/manu ... e-map-expl
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I don't have any issues with the MAP policy. It's not like Spyderco is getting any more money than before. They get paid when the dealers get their product. It doesn't matter how much the dealer sells it for.

It certainly hasn't made enough of a difference in price for me to say I'm not going to buy any more Spyderco knives.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

What is MAP???
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Amazon is routinely undercutting MAP pricing.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

dbcad wrote:What is MAP???
MAP = Manufacturers Advertised Pricing, basically means that distributors can only offer pricing not to exceed 40% (spydercos requirement) below the manufacturers advertised MSRP.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

When I bought my camo/black PM2 a few weeks ago it was on "clearance" with 18 at that price. A day later it dropped another $5. Once those few knives sold price went back to the normal retail.

Many places use words like "priced too low to print" and "add to cart to see price".

I work in retail. All prices are negotiable. Where I work a cashier can override up to 10% off without manager approval.

I always prefer to buy in person. And I'm not afraid to ask if they are willing to negotiate. If not, I've learned to look off of the beaten path online. There are some large retailers online that carry Spyderco that most people would not even think about looking at first. Through my searches seems like most will clearance or rollback pricing to reduce some inventory. The key is to search regularly.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

farnorthdan wrote:
MAP = Manufacturers Advertised Pricing, basically means that distributors can only offer pricing not to exceed 40% (spydercos requirement) below the manufacturers advertised MSRP.
Actually MAP is minimum Advertised price ;)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

bh49 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Actually MAP is minimum Advertised price ;)
Yep, my bad, it was late when I replied.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I don't see why Massdrop can't start at the MAP, and reveal better prices as buyers commit.

Otherwise there is absolutely no point in MAP products being on there.

Just when they started shipping internationally again, as well.... *sigh*