Just pulled the plug on a C177GP Roc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Just pulled the plug on a C177GP Roc

Post by dbcad »

For me this model had an appealing look and on paper the specs look good for me. The cleaver like blade shape gets my imagination going :eek:

Any one own one of these?? Looking for comments/ opinions.

I can see using this model as a nice 3" folding slicer :D
Attachments
sp_C177GP.JPG
Evil D

Re: Just pulled the plug on a C177GP Roc

Post by Evil D »

I think I like the direction the design is going in but I would like it in a much narrower profile with a longer and more slender blade, less like a cleaver and more like a straight razor.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I liked the look at first but the more I thought about it the less useful I began to feel it would be, more of a novelty piece me thinks.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Interesting to hear the first 2 opinions :) Good to hear from you David :)

With 3mm vg-10 and a 3" blade length it's hard for me to think of this model as a novelty. The handle looks well suited for the blade as well. Then again I'm always drawn to the unconventional ones.

It'll be interesting to evaluate this model when it comes in. My first new knife in over half a year, it'll be fun :)

Still looking to hear from someone who owns one.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I'm sure it will be usable as an EDC and I liked the looks of it immediately, but I'm genuinely puzzled by the "pocket cleaver" trend. I've never seen an explanation as to what they're intended for.

With so little drop from the handle to the edge I don't think it's going to be any better on a cutting board than the average pocket knife.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

It looks great in deployed mode, but in pocket mode it looks like a hog. Just speaking from looks only of course. I have zero experience with this model.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I got to handle one at the SFO a few months ago. It was actually not as much of a pocket hog as I expected, and I liked the ergos and balance of it in hand. I plan to get one eventually.
:bug-red-white
palonej

Post by palonej »

I think the cool factor with it is off the charts!
Gonna need one after a Millie sprint!
Joe
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have one. It's well made and really nice looking, it doesn't open as easy as I was hoping or the detent is a little weak.

It feels good in hand when open. It does kind of ride funny in pocket.

I would love to see what David described, a little thinner.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll post back with a comparison picture after it is received. I really see some potential from this model and it's unique configuration :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think it's a design begging for a regrind. Maybe even some different scales. Problem is adding up the mods its approaching midtech prices.

I'm a big fan of Serge's work, especially when executed by Spyderco. Just think he leans more toward aesthetics than function. However, could be wrong on this one :).
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've got one and agree with previous statements. Weak detent, not overly smooth, regrind would do wonders. I find it actually rides well in pocket and it's definately unique. Fit and finish is weak for a Spyderco imo but so are many out of Japan : (. I plan on making some wood scales for it at some point...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I guess I'll see what I see when I get the Roc. I've been around these things a little while so I'll know what I'm looking at. In a way reducing expectations is a very good thing and I appreciate the honest replies :) I will have to play with it, reprofile etc before I get opinions of my own. It's a nice hunk of vg-10.

Further replies on this model are more than welcome :):)

Good to hear you Blerv:) I'm not as frequent a visitor as I used to be. Still enjoying though :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm glad to see this thread pop up. I've been quietly saving my pennies for one! Since it is "regular production ", it takes backseat to upcoming exclusives and the recent Sprint, but as soon as I save enough coin and find a solid price, I will get one.

For everyone who says it should look like a normal knife (in some way or another), I had to Lol. Do most of us here not all have plenty of "standard", and "conventional", looking and handling knives to last us generations from now? Something comes a long a little different, and so many people want it to look "normal". No. Go buy a ZT.
I'll say it again; I love variety, and that's why I'm here.
Will be glad to add this one to the rounds. :D
Going back to Caly.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just received the Roc today and I've had a little time to look and feel it over. Overall initial impressions are quite good :) I like this knife, it feels like it was designed to work.

It is very nicely made, a little rough in the g-10, but that's pretty typical, a little carry will smooth it out. Blade well centered and tight, perfect full liner engagement with the lock, and the opening closing action is smoothing out nicely with the initial break in. Closed detent isn't the strongest but it's perfectly adequate. It isn't going to open by itself by any stretch. This is a high quality production knife.

Quite comfy in hand, don't even feel a temptation to bring my index finger forward into the notch between blade and handle. Wonderful generous stretch of jimping on the back of the blade around the pivot. No problems finding and disengaging the lock either.

The edge though sharp is a bit obtuse for me, but that will change this weekend. I'm also curious as to what this "matte gray finish" is. What kind of deposition is used, properties of the material etc.

All in all this purchase is a winner for me, I'm just going to reprofile this weekend and use. I'll start fleshing out impressions a bit more then.

No time for pics tonight. I'll post another thread on this model this weekend.

Charlie