Store on Golden road?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrdavidkolds

Store on Golden road?

Post by mrdavidkolds »

In the late '70s / early '80s I was driving east on old golden road and spotted a very small old, old fashioned brick building with KNIVES painted on the side in vertical letters. Being a knife lover, I went in. There was just one guy there and I think just one display case. The knife I saw struck me as very odd. I can't remember what it looked like but when I discovered your knives later they always struck me as odd at first, until I got used to them, and then I loved them.
Was that your early store and the knife your Worker?
You had Ironstone later on Hwy 93 and I would often stop by on my way home from work in Boulder and talk with Gail and maybe buy a knife. Gail us what we used to call in the old days "a trip". (Grin)
You had all brands of knives in the store at that time and when you decided to sell all the non spyderco knives in one of your early morning sales I bought literally a whole box of knives at amazing prices, including some early Al Mars. It seems like there were several of those sales.
I have been a fan from the days even before your first collaboration with Terzuola. I still have a lot of the knives from back then and dozens more from over the years.
I even organized a tour of your old plant with Rocky Mountain Blade Collectors back when.
I have to say that my life has literally been enriched by your company and its been amazing watching your company's evolution.
Sorry if I ramble a bit. I'm old and old people love to talk about the old days I guess.
My Gayle Bradley has been my EDC for quite a while. The Steel gets really sharp with all the carbon in the CPC-M4. I don't mind the stains. That's how good carbon steel knives have been since forever.
I was up at your store a few months back and bumped into you and Gail and you asked me if I could suggest any improvements. I looked around the store and though everything obout this company is perfect. The on thing I could think of to improve would be "free knives" which is what my somewhat odd sense of humor caused to pop out of my mouth. (Grin) I have felt kind of guilty about that ever since. Keep doing what you are doing. You are PERFECT and a testimate to what is possible with in This great country with hard work and imagination.
My regards to your wonderful wife Gail.
mrdavidkolds

Re: Store on Golden road?

Post by mrdavidkolds »

Correction: CPM-M4
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Very neat to hear your tale of looking back!
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum mrdavidkolds and great story, I also remember the old store from back in the day when I lived up Coal Creek canyon (hywy 72) how time fly's.... :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow excellent story and memories! Welcome to the forum.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Cool story. I was staying in Fort Collins for work in 2005, I wish I had stopped by the store then.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is an awesome story indeed. I love hearing things about Spyderco's history--especially from those who were there to experience it first-hand. Welcome to the forum!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

Great story and thanks for sharing it with us!!
Joe
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

I remember that store. It wasn't too far from a good pizza place. I think I have shopped at all the locations of the SFO.

Bruceter
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

did you ever go in?
All I remember is the counter and a round display case. I looked at the 2 or 3 knives that were in the case and I kind of went "ugg", thanked the guy and left. The worker was kind of an ugly duckling. But I wish it would but one of them then.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I hate Siri!
The knife was an ugly duckling and I wish I had bought one of them. It would have been the crown jewel of my collection.
Form follows function. That could be the motto of Spyderco.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, excellent story! I really used to enjoy getting the Ironstone catalogs anr reading them at night after my family went to sleep. In fact I still enjoy late night reading while watching the TV. Tonight was an AG Russell catalog. Last night it was a book about Diesel locomotives. I'm not happy unless I'm learning something.

Joe