Blade HQ visit, what to pick up?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cody_G93

Blade HQ visit, what to pick up?

Post by Cody_G93 »

So I will be in Utah next weekend and am planning on stopping at Blade HQ. I am having a hard time on deciding on what to look at while I'm there. I have a few delica's, manix 2's, a pm2, a yojimbo 2, sage 2 and 3, native 1 and 5, a hap40 endura and a cf dodo. I have most of the popular models, but is there any must-haves that I'm missing? Was thinking maybe one of the s110v models, or maybe a vg10 endura to beat on. Also, would like to stay under $150. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
SG89

Re: Blade HQ visit, what to pick up?

Post by SG89 »

G10 DF2
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

The Techno at $191 is a bit over your budget but it's a great little knife. At about $140 the Gayle Bradley 2 folder is possibly the best knife for the $$ I've ever bought. The M4 blade and the hollow grind make it a great addition to the knives you've listed.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Flipper...
Mantras, Domino, Dice, Positron...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Gotta hound them about their Paramilitary 2 exclusive, and please fill us in on info! ;)

And yeah, try handling the 2 different Mantras.
Or see if you get lucky and they have the Caly 3 or 3.5 in stock.
Maybe try a Military and Stretch out, also.
Or look at some fixed blades.
Maybe a Salt?
Going back to Caly.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would definitely ask them what you can get for $150. There is profit margin built in and they may be willing to cut you a deal if you are close. Never hurts to ask.
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

I've had my eyes on the Gayle Bradley 2, but their website says they are out of stock. Hopefully they will get some more in. Also a military might be a possibility, or maybe an s110v manix
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

This morning, I read many newer pages of the thread-'what Spyderco is in the mail'. A lot of good info on there. Made decisions even more confusing though..I'm stalled and don't even know where to start....Even with all the new stuff, I'm pretty happy with what I have..
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

I was fondling a Gayle Bradley just yesterday in a store in Tulsa and just my luck it was going on sale for about $100 in just a few hours. Sadly I was just passing thru town on my way home and could not hang out there til the sale began. As a matter of fact all their Spyderco's were on sale 25% off from 8-9 pm. I had my eye on the Gayle, the Mantra, the Southard,and a few others. I tried to talk them into letting me have one on sale since I was just passing thru and would miss the sale by just 3 hours and they would not do it. : (

I got to say the Gayle and e Mantra were nice. I just wish the Mantra was bigger. If it was a 3 1/2 inch I would have to have one.

My vote for you would be the Gayle I guess.
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

I have been considering a Manix 2 LW S110v since they came out. How is the S110V compared to the bd1 lw version? I have the bd1 lw, s30v g-10, and cruwear sprint Manix 2's right now. Unfortunately the GB2 is still out of stock, so unless they get some in I won't be picking one of those up. Also am considering a digi camo PM2, g-10 Native 5, and g-10 S110V Manix 2
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I would ask to see any discontinued knives on hand or at least scan the display cases for them. You never know when you might run into a jewel like the nishijin R or a Superleaf, though it might not be too likely in store with the online clientele they have.

Since you seem to be a Manix fan, I would definitely handle a Manix 2 XL. Also, since you don't seem to have a Military, you might want to try out one if you haven't already. Also, I'd recommend the brown G-10 Stretch 2, which I've seen as low as $180 a time or two (you could skip a meal or two on the way there ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Cody_G93 wrote:I have been considering a Manix 2 LW S110v since they came out. How is the S110V compared to the bd1 lw version? I have the bd1 lw, s30v g-10, and cruwear sprint Manix 2's right now. Unfortunately the GB2 is still out of stock, so unless they get some in I won't be picking one of those up. Also am considering a digi camo PM2, g-10 Native 5, and g-10 S110V Manix 2

I really like my M2 LW. This version is a prime example of how the LW version can transform the design to appeal to other uses and users. (Many people used to often complain of the excessive weight of the Manix 2 when it came out).
I've heard reports of the BD1 versions having stiff action. My S110V is just as smooth and free falling as my G10 versions.
This is the knife I primarily use on lightweight backpacking trips. I like the wire clip.
Have no desire for the G10 version in S110V since I carry and use my Cruwear more often.

I guess it depends on how your BD1 LW is treating you and how much you like it. If you really enjoy it, then get the S110V version!

Nice recommend on the Stretch, Doug!
I'd definitely look at the Stretch FRN versions, possibly the Stretch 2 G10 if you can afford it. The Stretch is a knife that will grow on you with use.

I still say check out the Mantra, too, while you can in person.
If you like your Delicas, and can't get the GB 1 nor 2, then get a Mantra and you'll get that great Delica'ish ergo with CPM M4!

And if you already say you have a PM2, no need to get another redundant camo one. If that really is what you're looking for, then in that case just get the Military and get some size variety in your line-up. :D
Going back to Caly.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If you're visiting BHQ, then all you need is a large bag, a face mask and a sawn-off shotgun :P :D

Seriously though, you might want to take a look at the new g-10 "blurple" s110v Manix instead of the LW version, it's not much more expensive. S110V takes longer to sharpen than bd1 but the blade will have a working edge for far longer, so you don't have to worry about sharpening so often.

While you're at BHQ, could you ask them when they think they'll get their M4 PM2's? :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I just finally caved and got the discontinued Starmate before they all disappear. BHQ has the best price right now. If you're into it, might be worth grabbing one from them before they're all gone. I've always loved the big tough look of it, and figured now is probably the right time to go for it.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."