Gent's folder with blade length slightly less than 2.5 inches

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sparky2016

Re: Gent's folder with blade length slightly less than 2.5 inches

Post by sparky2016 »

Evil D wrote:This stuff makes me so thankful to live in a state that doesn't have these silly laws.
It's not a state law.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.
Last edited by sparky2016 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

double post
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sparky2016 wrote:
Evil D wrote:This stuff makes me so thankful to live in a state that doesn't have these silly laws.
It's not a state law.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.

Oooh right I forgot you were looking to carry in a court and not just in general.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

It seems that Spyderco is working on a Little Native that may fit all my criteria: compression lock, S30V, possibly CF scales and approximate blade length of 2.5". Hopefulky the blade length is slightly less than 2.5" so that it is compliant with the statute (i.e. Does not fall under the definition of a dangerous weapon.

Sal, please keep the blade length a tad under 2.5". It would be the perfect EDC knife.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Salsa. 2.4 inch blade, aluminum handles, compression lock, 2.5 oz. The handles are metal, but the knife is very light. There was also the titanium model which is a bit heavier at 3.3 oz, but Titanium is nice :D
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Knivesinedc wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Salsa. 2.4 inch blade, aluminum handles, compression lock, 2.5 oz. The handles are metal, but the knife is very light. There was also the titanium model which is a bit heavier at 3.3 oz, but Titanium is nice :D
See reply#2!
:)
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

For gent's knives I would second all the recommendations for the older Kiwi and Kopa models. Both are incredibly classy gentleman's knives, and are below the critical 2.5" limit.

The Dodo also comes in at just a hair over 2". But as with the Kiwis and Kopas, it will be at collector prices.

The D'Fly2 in either FRN or G-10, Manbug G-10, and Kahr Arms Delica are all more utilitarian options, as well as having the advantage of not being discontinued. The Kahr Arms Delica was specifically designed to meet the 2.5" limitation for Federal buildings, but is much less of a gent's knife than you may be looking for.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

All worthy suggestions but do not overlook the versatile little
ClipiTool with 2.0 inch blade, bottle opener and screwdriver.

Cheers !

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ejcr98 wrote:It seems that Spyderco is working on a Little Native that may fit all my criteria: compression lock, S30V, possibly CF scales and approximate blade length of 2.5". Hopefulky the blade length is slightly less than 2.5" so that it is compliant with the statute (i.e. Does not fall under the definition of a dangerous weapon.

Sal, please keep the blade length a tad under 2.5". It would be the perfect EDC knife.
If you're open to some light modding, you can always grind down the spine of just about any knife to make it legal. If you find a knife that you really like but it's just a hair over the limit, this is an easy solution.

I nipped the tip of this Paramilitary down to just under 3 inches when I had to worry about a 3 inch blade length law.
~David
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Able Dog wrote:For gent's knives I would second all the recommendations for the older Kiwi and Kopa models. Both are incredibly classy gentleman's knives, and are below the critical 2.5" limit.

The Dodo also comes in at just a hair over 2". But as with the Kiwis and Kopas, it will be at collector prices.

The D'Fly2 in either FRN or G-10, Manbug G-10, and Kahr Arms Delica are all more utilitarian options, as well as having the advantage of not being discontinued. The Kahr Arms Delica was specifically designed to meet the 2.5" limitation for Federal buildings, but is much less of a gent's knife than you may be looking for.
Able Dog,

I also thought the Kahr Delica was designed specifically to meet the statute's blade length requirement but it is listed as having a blade length of 2.5" and therefore actually falls within the definition of a dangerous weapon and may not be carried in a Federal facility. At least not by civilians without some special permit excluding them from the application of the statute.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Evil D,

Your suggestion is well taken. Unfortunately, where I live Indin't think that there are many people who di modsnto knives and I don't have the tools, knowledge or skills to do it in my own. I would probably end up breaking the tip and having to send it to Spyderco tonget it repaired.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

hoimin wrote:
Knivesinedc wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Salsa. 2.4 inch blade, aluminum handles, compression lock, 2.5 oz. The handles are metal, but the knife is very light. There was also the titanium model which is a bit heavier at 3.3 oz, but Titanium is nice :D
See reply#2!
:)
Whoops haha
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There is a black Salsa for sale on that e water place. The seller wants waaaayyyy too much for it, though. Sal says there may be a new run coming one day. We can hope. Right now, personally, I would be just happy with a Pingo.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Have you considered a Cricket?
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

ejcr98 wrote:" ... I love de DF2 and have three versions (ZDP-189, H-1, and Orange) but don't like the color of the G-10 version."
Pick up a G10 D-fly and dye the scales. Cheaper than a custom, and makes confiscation less of a worry ... I also have to frequent same type of facilities, and even though I know I am within the letter of the law, any law is subject to the interpretation of the local authority ... which is why my Kiwi's don't go with me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lots of people make custom scales for the Dragonfly too, or even try to find the carbon fiber version.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Nishijin Dragonfly would be a nice score. I have one but it is too purdy to carry often. Still, it is a really nice knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Any updates on the small Native with the compression lock? If the blade is a tad below 2.5" it may fit the bill perfectly.