Gent's folder with blade length slightly less than 2.5 inches

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Gent's folder with blade length slightly less than 2.5 inches

Post by Doc Dan »

The upcoming Rhino is going to be your closest choice. If you do not mind a backlock (my fav) then you can be on the lookout for a Kopa. The Salsa has a compression lock and the titanium version is very nice, if you can find one, that is.

Take a look at this thread from a couple of weeks ago on this very topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70133

FWIW the Gayle Bradley Air has a 2.56 inch blade so you can rule that nice knife out.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This issue and others, is why I have said several times that Spyderco should make the G10 Manbug stretched out to a 2.4 or 2.45 inch blade, while keeping the slim dimensions. It should be exactly the Manbug and not an interpretation, only longer. I say call it the Superbug.

This size is very practical and the Manbug blade style is the best, plus it is very comfortable in the hand, and classy looking.

There is a new Barlow style knife coming at some point, but I do not know the specifics nor the blade length. We can only hope.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Wasn't the Chicago made for this specific requirement?
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I believe the Chicago was designed to meet Chicago's (Ithink former) blade limit of two inches (the current limit for adults is 2.5 inches, while minors up to a certain age still have a 2 inch limit) (I know this because last year my wife, 1-year old and I visited Chicago for our wedding anniversary and I researched Chicago's knife law to see what knife I could take on the trip).

Where I live there is no restriction based on blade length, except on federal facilities.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Since the blade length has to be less than 2.5 inches, what I am looking for is a knife that maximizes blade length but complies with the restriction.

I propose they make a 3rd version of the Cat identicial to the original CF/S30V Cat but with a compression lock or a shrunk down version of the upcoming Sage 5. They can call it the Sage XS or the Guru.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

The blade measurement is definitely not just the cutting edge. There's been some effort to try to get LEOs to use the AKTI Recommended guideline for measuring blade length - see http://www.akti.org/resources/akti-prot ... de-length/. Always safe to assume they might use the longest possible measurement.

BTW another alternative while you're searching for the perfect knife would be a Victorinox Alox Cadet. Has the advantage of seeming less threatening, and extra tools. No, it's not the sleek gents folder you're looking for, but really that's not what Spyderco does - because that doesn't give the most utility for a given blade length.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

The Cadet's blade is too long for his requirements I believe.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

these

or these

for more information see

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28702
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Doc Dan wrote:This issue and others, is why I have said several times that Spyderco should make the G10 Manbug stretched out to a 2.4 or 2.45 inch blade, while keeping the slim dimensions. It should be exactly the Manbug and not an interpretation, only longer. I say call it the Superbug.

This size is very practical and the Manbug blade style is the best, plus it is very comfortable in the hand, and classy looking.

There is a new Barlow style knife coming at some point, but I do not know the specifics nor the blade length. We can only hope.
This should be done. Great concept. Super Manbug. Make it close in size to a Dfly. Now the question, clip or no clip on the Super Manbug??
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

So Super Manbug fans - you don't like choils? For me the choil and the ability to grip is what makes the small blades so versatile.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ejcr98 wrote:Hi. I am new to the forum. Spyderco is my favorite pocket knife brand.

I am an attorney and want a gentleman's folder with a blade length less than 2.5 inches but as close to 2.5 inches as possible, so that I can legally take into federal facilities when I visit them for work. I would prefer CF scales and a compression lock (like a shrunken Sage 5 or sprint run of the older CF/S30V version of the Cat but with a compression lock)

Any suggestions? Anything like that on Spyderco's upcoming models?

Thanks,

So, being an attorney, you can make a better guess than I can on how the law would be interpreted, but I really love my Kiwi 4. The blade on it is *technically* 2.94 inches, but the cutting edge is only 2.56 (mine measures in at maybe 1/64 past 2.5 inches, if that). Does the law see a "blade" as the entire metal part that folds out from a knife, or can you dismiss the 1/2 inch or so of the blade that's part of the finger choil as being part of the handle, since you do in fact hold that part and you can't cut anyone with it?

Either way, if you liked the Kiwi 4 design, it wouldn't be hard at all to remove a little of the blade tip and make the length legal. Otherwise as some have suggested, the original Kiwi is a great option and it did come with carbon fiber inlays. It's going to be tough to find what you want with a compression lock. If you're absolutely set on having one though, there are a lot of ways to shorten a knife and make a miniature version if you're willing to have some custom work done. I could make a 2.49 inch blade Para 2 for example. There are a lot of options to get what you want but many of them may not be factory options.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:This issue and others, is why I have said several times that Spyderco should make the G10 Manbug stretched out to a 2.4 or 2.45 inch blade, while keeping the slim dimensions. It should be exactly the Manbug and not an interpretation, only longer. I say call it the Superbug.

What would really be awesome is a Golden made Grasshopper with a really nice steel, bolsters, and nice inlays. That knife has "gents folder size" nailed. It doesn't look like a stubby version of a standard sized knife, it just looks like a miniature Endura or something.
~David
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Evil D wrote:What would really be awesome is a Golden made Grasshopper with a really nice steel, bolsters, and nice inlays. That knife has "gents folder size" nailed. It doesn't look like a stubby version of a standard sized knife, it just looks like a miniature Endura or something.
Yes, the blade shape and length is more gents folder. Though maybe with a lock and a grippier, lighter handle material.
Last edited by sparky2016 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

ejcr98,

The Dragonfly meets your length requirement (2 5/16"). There are also many house variations : G10, stainless, Nishijin. Or if your really want to go swanky, you could go with the Santa Fe Stoneworks ones. They've done some super nice stone and wood inlays.

I'm just throwing the Dragonfly out as an easy to find option- the Kopa would be my recommendation, they're just more difficult to find.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sparky2016 wrote:
Evil D wrote:What would really be awesome is a Golden made Grasshopper with a really nice steel, bolsters, and nice inlays. That knife has "gents folder size" nailed. It doesn't look like a stubby version of a standard sized knife, it just looks like a miniature Endura or something.
Yes, the blade shape and length is more gents folder. Though maybe with a lock and a grippier, lighter handle material.

Well, with a knife this small if you want it to be thin, stainless is the way to go. If they milled out the center section of the handle scales for inlays, that might lighten it up a bit. Being such a small knife though it doesn't weigh much anyway....it's 1.4oz.
~David
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

this_is_nascar wrote:The Cadet's blade is too long for his requirements I believe.
My newish Victorinox Cadet measures 2-7/16" using the AKTI method (tip to handle).
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

My two favorite little folders as a gent's carry:

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Evil D,

The statute doesn't state how blade length is measured and I have not researched the issue. I think the AKTI guideline seems reasonable and conforms to what I believe is a common sense definition of what the blade is. I don't think that by blade length the statute means cutting edge because the statute is also probably cinsidering the knife's stabbing capability. So I would count the choil as part of the blade length.

But, as I said, I have not done the research and would not dare to offer legal advice without properly researching the issue beforehand.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Vaisforlovers,

I have three versions of the DF2 and love that knife. But I don't like the color of the G-10 version. It also doesn't maximize the allowed blade length since its blade length is 2.25 inches, which means I am losing about 1/5 of an inch in allowed blade length. That may not seem a lot but in a knife this small, it does make some difference.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ejcr98 wrote:Evil D,

The statute doesn't state how blade length is measured and I have not researched the issue. I think the AKTI guideline seems reasonable and conforms to what I believe is a common sense definition of what the blade is. I don't think that by blade length the statute means cutting edge because the statute is also probably cinsidering the knife's stabbing capability. So I would count the choil as part of the blade length.

But, as I said, I have not done the research and would not dare to offer legal advice without properly researching the issue beforehand.

I've always thought the issue with length was reach, but the law definitely focuses on blade length alone. This stuff makes me so thankful to live in a state that doesn't have these silly laws. It also helps that our concealed carry permit includes all deadly weapons, even "weapons of mass destruction".
~David