Anyone ever tried Blueing Wire Pocket Cips?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toxophilus

Anyone ever tried Blueing Wire Pocket Cips?

Post by toxophilus »

I like the way the dark wire clip disappears when wearing darker pants or jeans when I carry my Chaparral; wondering if anyone here has had success in doing this mod?

Thx in advance, RSilva
Evil D

Re: Anyone ever tried Blueing Wire Pocket Cips?

Post by Evil D »

No but I wonder how it would hold up to wear...if you're talking about gun-blue stuff? That stuff scratches pretty easily.

Or are you talking about something else?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Was pondering cold Blueing :)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've done it. Looks good but wears away. Not so that it gets on your hands or marks up clothing but after a couple weeks it will look new again. I've found using gun blue in combination with ferric chloride gives a nice look and doesn't wear away. I don't have any pics handy but I'll try to remember to post something.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Thx Spyderg;look forward to pics when you have time.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

No but I dang sure have bought black ones for a Sage and put them on Pingos and Caly 3.5s! They look amazing and are a bit grippier than the uncoated ones
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Have heat-darkened the wire clip on my Urban which makes it stand out much less, an Urban should be hardly seen on jeans. ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was thinking of putting some of that rubber dip on one, that stuff you put on tool handles and etc. It would make it grip clothes more but would be easier to grip in the hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Acid etch ferric in chloride gives a gray look as in blasted titanium (Slysz Bowie or Techno).
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

spyderg wrote:I've done it. Looks good but wears away. Not so that it gets on your hands or marks up clothing but after a couple weeks it will look new again. I've found using gun blue in combination with ferric chloride gives a nice look and doesn't wear away. I don't have any pics handy but I'll try to remember to post something.
Intersting if it's not wearing away with that method.
Yes please, some pics !

Last idea from Gull Wing sound nice/interesting too :)
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

If I understand correctly, gun bluing is a form of corrosive conversion that leaves behind a less reactive oxide barrier on the surface of the steel, my bet is that bluing simply doesn't convert much of the stainless clip wire to the black oxide (or phosphate or whatever the particular process creates), so it wears off quicker than it would from non-stainless steel.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

image.jpeg

Well with poor lighting in the kitchen this eve, this is the best I can do right now. The clip started out as a super shiny Dragonfly clip, in sunlight it has a slight blue tint to it. It is not very noticeable against jeans light or dark. Since I did it, right after I got it, (first batch that made it to Canada) it has lightened up a little.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Very nice, I will experiment with that!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The non-lowrider clip is etched, it's from a lightweight Manix, it was polished before.

SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
remnar

Post by remnar »

This is not my idea, but I can't remember where I saw it. I just took about 10 minutes to go out into the shop and put some shrink tubing on my Caly. The kind of tubing that you use in electrical work. I think the example that I saw had one larger piece of tubing over the entire clip.

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

remnar wrote:This is not my idea, but I can't remember where I saw it. I just took about 10 minutes to go out into the shop and put some shrink tubing on my Caly. The kind of tubing that you use in electrical work. I think the example that I saw had one larger piece of tubing over the entire clip.

That might have been one of mine. I've posted a couple like that if I recall, blue heat shrink on my lava and techno, and maybe another in black. It looks good and works well but rather than slowly fading, it works till one day it rips and looks like **** and you have to redo it, about a month of pretty regular carry for me.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I would LOVE for someone to make a blue anodized titanium wire clip for my Sage. Would be awesome.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I turned it to red with a good lighter :D
And cooled it in some oil.

Look good to me and following how you do it you will have different "colors". :)
After long use, no problem with it at all.

This won't wear off I think :D

:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

spyderg wrote:
remnar wrote:This is not my idea, but I can't remember where I saw it. I just took about 10 minutes to go out into the shop and put some shrink tubing on my Caly. The kind of tubing that you use in electrical work. I think the example that I saw had one larger piece of tubing over the entire clip.

That might have been one of mine. I've posted a couple like that if I recall, blue heat shrink on my lava and techno, and maybe another in black. It looks good and works well but rather than slowly fading, it works till one day it rips and looks like **** and you have to redo it, about a month of pretty regular carry for me.
I did the heat-shrink job on my Chaparral wire clip, and it's just like you say: it's grippy and looks great until the tubing fails. On the plus side, it keeps the wire from marking up the carbon fiber scale.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Does anyone think a full DLC coating on the clip would hinder how it seats in the slots on the scale?