Anyone ever tried Blueing Wire Pocket Cips?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Anyone ever tried Blueing Wire Pocket Cips?

Post by Evil D »

Nasgul wrote:I turned it to red with a good lighter :D
And cooled it in some oil.

Look good to me and following how you do it you will have different "colors". :)
After long use, no problem with it at all.

This won't wear off I think :D

I really like this idea, but I have no doubt these clips have some kind of fairly specific heat treatment to allow them to be springy and not brittle. I wonder how this effects that heat treat..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've heat anodized a few of my stamped clips and they turned out similar, didn't seem to hurt the tempering at all but I'm no metallurgist so take that with a grain of salt.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

KnickKnackCity wrote:Does anyone think a full DLC coating on the clip would hinder how it seats in the slots on the scale?
I think it would fit,(tight) on most as long as it's a nice clean job, but there are a few that are a pretty tight fit to start with.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Rayo

Post by Rayo »

Love this idea. it should be so simple. If pistols, rifle can be blued and last forever, this should be a no brainer from Spyderco.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Evil D wrote:
Nasgul wrote:I turned it to red with a good lighter :D
And cooled it in some oil.

Look good to me and following how you do it you will have different "colors". :)
After long use, no problem with it at all.

This won't wear off I think :D

http://nsa37.casimages.com/img/2016/03/ ... 672092.jpg

I really like this idea, but I have no doubt these clips have some kind of fairly specific heat treatment to allow them to be springy and not brittle. I wonder how this effects that heat treat..
Sorry for the late reply.
I use regularly the G10 D'Fly and no problem at all. I may have done this about at least 6 month... nearly a year ago. :cool:
And, it's just a clip IF it break... ;)
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Kniferbro

Post by Kniferbro »

gull wing wrote:The non-lowrider clip is etched, it's from a lightweight Manix, it was polished before.

Would you mind giving a little run down of the process (chemicals needed, time, etc)? I have the same Manix Lightweight clip on my Slysz Bowie and yours looks exactly like I want mine!