Please no more paperclip pocket clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Re: Please no more paperclip pocket clips

Post by demoncase »

Depends on the knife, depends on the use:

For around the office, I prefer the less obtrusiveness of the wire clip.
For heavier knives and in thicker trousers (jeans) I prefer the stamped clips.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Wire or stamped, I don't have a strong preference. My perquisites for EDC (1) deep pocket carry, (2) not shiny, and (3) looks like anything but a knife clip. If it looks like a knife clip and/or shiny, I clip it IWB covered by belt or shirt, or simply clip it inside whatever bag I may be carrying. So black wire clips work the best for me for pocket carry. Whenever I purchase a Spyderco with standard clip, I usually have to factor in the additional cost of a third party deep pocket carry clip.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I think Spyderco has two excellent clips, and that they're very good about putting the right clip with a given knife. I have both, I like both, they're both great on the knives they're on. I can't imagine my Delica with a wire clip(and I like the shiny hardware against the orange), and I can't imagine my Chaparral with even a coated spoon clip.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
LC Kid

Long Live the Wire Clips!!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I absolutely love the Wire Clips! :spyder:

Never ever had any kind of trouble with them, very secure on the pocket, highly slim and unobtrusive, an the slender profile is always welcome.

Actually I wish many more models use it by default. :D
bazfum

Post by bazfum »

I've broken three solid clips. I've carried a wire clip for over three years daily with no issues. We need nothing but wire clips going forward.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bazfum wrote:I've broken three solid clips. I've carried a wire clip for over three years daily with no issues. We need nothing but wire clips going forward.
Great first post (because I agree 100%). Welcome to the forum.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd really like to see a universal system... Ideally, a spoon style clip using the same single bolt mount and recesses that the wire clips use. My real motivator is that I just want a wire clip on 90% of my knives, and shipping them with a universal wire clip compatible mount would solve that.

Melted this one in...
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

For the past few years, five of my top six knives in my "Top 10" list have been ones with wire clips. Only the Southard Folder breaks the trend. I think #7-10 would break higher onto my list if they had wire clips too. Both the Lava (my #7) and Delica (#8) I carry I unclipped rather than use the factory one, but I'd use a wired one if I could.

Wire clips carry deeper, which advertise less that I'm carrying. They also have less of a sharp edge. I have scratched my truck with a regular clip :mad: , but never with a wire clip.

A Salt with wire clip ... My ideal! I guess that's why the DFly salt is my go-to EDC!

I have to disagree with th OP. Wire clips MAKE all the difference for me. My opinion only.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

abbazaba wrote:I'd really like to see a universal system... Ideally, a spoon style clip using the same single bolt mount and recesses that the wire clips use. My real motivator is that I just want a wire clip on 90% of my knives, and shipping them with a universal wire clip compatible mount would solve that.
Given that there's a lot of folks on both sides, this is a pretty interesting suggestion IMO.

I will also say that though I do have preferences on certain knives, the type of clip would never be a determining factor for me on whether to purchase a particular knife or not. Clip style is pretty for down my list of important features.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is there an alternative to both the wire clip AND the hourglass clip, something that can combine the best of both worlds?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Is there an alternative to both the wire clip AND the hourglass clip, something that can combine the best of both worlds?
Excellent suggestion. I've had my wire clip issues as reported elsewhere here. Knife returned to Sal for study at his request. Mine tend to come detached after a time. I would like the option to have a small, very slender flat spring clip, anodized black, lying close to the scale so that is is less bothersome when using the knife, stays put on
the knife and doesn't bend out of shape.

I also think a wire knife clip looks exactly like a knife clip. What else would it be, clipped there to your pocket?

My all time favorite clip would be one that disappears and stays out of the way when using the knife to cut things. Clips spoil the aesthetic and disrupt the ergonomics.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation