Please no more paperclip pocket clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Please no more paperclip pocket clips

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:I like them on small light knives, I like hourglass on medium sized and up. Weight is the deciding factor for me. I had absolutely no problem with my Manix 2 LW having a wire clip but I wouldn't want it on my G10 Manix 2. I think they definitely have their place though. I wouldn't want an hourglass clip on a Dragonfly.
Yeah...I'm changing my answer to this one. ^
I used to think that. But, when I got my Nishijin DF I changed my mind. The hour glass clip is quite okay on them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

if you asked me 2 years ago what my least favorite thing about spyderco was i would have said the wire clips. the wire clip kept me from buying the dragonfly for a long time. then i got one. still wasn't thrilled with the wire. i now own 4 dragonfly's. and after much edc, the wire clips have grown on me. i was worried about them not being strong enough, but i havent had an issue yet with bending or breaking, and ive grown to like how light and functional they are. im even starting to like the way they look.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I love the wire clip on my Des Horn. On my Assist 2? Not so much. They have their place.

Gordon
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wire clips are my favorite style. Very unobtrusive in use, no hard edges, and from my experience, durable. Viva la wire!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
v8r

Post by v8r »

I hate them myself. I like the regular clips much better.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I prefer the hourglass clip but the wire clip works well on certain models.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The quality of the regular clips does feel superior, but for a small knife or a knife to carry in public, I prefer it over the others.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I love wire clips and wish a heavy duty version could be developed for the Millie. In fact my dream Millie is natural G10, SE Cruwear and a heavy gauge wire clip. If you dress business casual or even tuck in shirts often wire>stamped. I have bent wire clips and I have bent stamped clips as well. The hook up is to buy replacement Sage clips in black and add them to Caly 3.5 and Pingo! Well worth the money. I do think the Dfly wire clips are cheaper than some others, opinion only. Again, when wearing khakis and a tucked in polo making sales calls the wire clip is so much more discreet and looks better. That matters to me but probably not to many of you.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Doc Dan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:I like them on small light knives, I like hourglass on medium sized and up. Weight is the deciding factor for me. I had absolutely no problem with my Manix 2 LW having a wire clip but I wouldn't want it on my G10 Manix 2. I think they definitely have their place though. I wouldn't want an hourglass clip on a Dragonfly.
Yeah...I'm changing my answer to this one. ^
I used to think that. But, when I got my Nishijin DF I changed my mind. The hour glass clip is quite okay on them.
I have a SS Dfly that has a shiny stamped clip. I only carry it deep pocket clipped to the change pocket at the bottom of my chinos RFP. This is because of the shiny clip which takes a smart looking work outfit and makes it less. Again, my opinion only but I feed my family through a long career in outside sales and it matters to me. Wire clips, especially black wire clips in deep carry configuration are virtually non existent
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

That wire clip is the best I've ever used, on any knife. I actually miss it when I'm carrying a knife without the wire clip.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are there people who could custom-make a heavier gauge wire clip, if you send them the particular knife, and explain the situation, or is that something Spyderco would have to produce with the knife?

Just as there are people who will modify your Spyderco blade and other aspects of the knife.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Probably the only knife, out of my EDCs which I prefer stamped clip is Ti Fluted Native. I would be happy to see low riding wire clip on all my other Natives
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BTG

Post by BTG »

I'm with ya, until very recently, Mantra & Positron, it WAS a deal breaker..not so much anymore, but definitely a strike against...maybe two strikes even.....that being said, I'm going to have to break down and finally get a Sage...the 5 looks too good to pass up with that compression lock..paper clip or not....I wish Casey Lynch would come out with a converter clip to change wire clipped knives to his deep carry style, I'd be all over those clips, and probably get more spydies where the clip was the only reason I passed...like the Introvert, Slyze Bowie, Schempp Bowie, Pattada, Sage's, Caparral's, Caly 3.5, although zdp's got me on the fence there....
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I definitely don't hate the wire clip, in fact I think I slightly prefer it to the hourglass clip, at least on lighter duty knives. The only Spyderco clips that I have personally witnessed breaking are a Delica 4 clip that snapped at the lanyard hole and an early molded-in FRN clip on a Delica-like model. My own experimentation (rolling around under a car on pavement with my Sage 3 in my pocket) has lead me to believe that the wire clip is actually pretty rugged.

Both designs have their place and both are better than many other makers' clip designs, so all in all I'm OK with whichever clip Spyderco chooses to put on a given knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The other thing I like about the wire clips is they don't look like knife clips. Less material to reflect light and give that curious shine.

Oh how I dislike weird conversations with strangers :o.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Love em.. I have been carrying a Caly 3.5 with wire clip everyday for years.
Holland

Post by Holland »

If it was my way, all 3 inch knives and under would have wire clips, all 4inch and over would be stamped, and knives in between would be case by case :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Are there people who could custom-make a heavier gauge wire clip, if you send them the particular knife, and explain the situation, or is that something Spyderco would have to produce with the knife?

Just as there are people who will modify your Spyderco blade and other aspects of the knife.
I'm sure Spyderco have done their homework on wire strength, and what we have is probably the best balance of strength and springiness. You may be able to get a stronger clip by using a heavier wire, but I'm sure they've looked into that and didn't for a reason.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I also only like them on small Dfly or Cat sized knives. I don't like those wear marks, and they don't feel as secure on larger knives. They don't LOOK bad, though, but I like solid better.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Surprised Remnar hasn't chimed in here yet. He has made himself a pretty neat solid replacement clip that bolts into the wire slots and installed it into his Techno.
Going back to Caly.