Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 pm

Whitetail addict wrote:
Very nice, love the look of your custom version.
Thank you, Whitetail addict. I really appreciate that. :) I am hoping it will be a useful tool in the woods for hunters and outdoors folks alike. I was raised in a hunting family and my wife is an avid bow-hunter. I am hoping to get some good feed-back on the Rhino this fall if my kin are able to take a few deer. With regard to your screen name, I am thinking you are a hunter also?

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:15 pm

SpyderWill wrote:Thanks for sharing, Michael! It's always fascinating to see some of the behind-the-scenes work that goes into knife design and making. It definitely forms an additional appreciation for the craft. I'm looking forward to adding a Rhino to my growing collection in the future.
Thank you for the nice compliments, SpyderWill. That is very kind of you. :) Welcome to the Forum too, by the way! It is nice to have you here. What are some of your favorite Spyderco designs in your collection?

Thanks again and take care!

Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Sully wrote:Thanks for the behind-the-scenes perspective. Adds so much interest to an already extremely intriguing work of design. And that green micarta... ;)

Also...I find it oddly amusing that your write-up sort of whispers "anyone could do it," while simultaneously screaming "it's nearly impossible to craft one's own Spyderco." Well done! :D
;) :o ;)

It has been my genuine pleasure, Sully. I would like to thank you for the interest and the very nice words. :) It brings me a lot of joy knowing that I can share this with friends like you.

All the best,

Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
SpyderWill
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderWill » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 pm

SpyderNut wrote: Thank you for the nice compliments, SpyderWill. That is very kind of you. :) Welcome to the Forum too, by the way! It is nice to have you here. What are some of your favorite Spyderco designs in your collection?

Thanks again and take care!

Michael
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D I've been reading stuff here for a while and figured it was time to jump in.

As for favorite designs, I have a few. My overall favorite is the Spyderco Techno. There's just something I love about its tank-like build and "personality". The other two are my EDCs that I rotate between which are the Dragonfly 2 and Paramilitary 2.

I like the compact size of the Dragonfly and the compression lock of the PM2, which is why I think the Rhino might be a nice best-of-both-worlds EDC option.

Will

User avatar
bh49
Member
Posts: 11462
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: former Constitution state

Re: Rhino

Postby bh49 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:46 am

Michael,
Do you have any ideas on when Rhino will hit dealers shelves?
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
George Orwell
My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian,Hungarian, Memory

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:04 am

SpyderWill wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Thank you for the nice compliments, SpyderWill. That is very kind of you. :) Welcome to the Forum too, by the way! It is nice to have you here. What are some of your favorite Spyderco designs in your collection?

Thanks again and take care!

Michael
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D I've been reading stuff here for a while and figured it was time to jump in.

As for favorite designs, I have a few. My overall favorite is the Spyderco Techno. There's just something I love about its tank-like build and "personality". The other two are my EDCs that I rotate between which are the Dragonfly 2 and Paramilitary 2.

I like the compact size of the Dragonfly and the compression lock of the PM2, which is why I think the Rhino might be a nice best-of-both-worlds EDC option.

Will

Glad you decided to jump in. :) This Forum is a great place to be, really. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks who are happy to share what they know in terms of knives, sharpeners, gear, etc.

I agree--all three of those models you mentioned are excellent designs. The Techno is one of my favorites also. I believe it was my first Taichung-made Spydie, if I recall correctly. Needless to say, my mind was blown when I first took the Techno out of the box. Great little-big-knife design to be sure. Marcin Slysz's larger Slysz Bowie model is quite popular too. I've carried mine a few times, but it is a little on the big side for EDC for me. It is still an excellent design, though.

Hope to see around Will. :)

-Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:12 am

bh49 wrote:Michael,
Do you have any ideas on when Rhino will hit dealers shelves?
Roman
That is a good question, Roman. Spyderco is unable to provide any specific ETA's at this time, unfortunately, but I am hoping it will be soon. I am excitedly impatient to see the final model too, lol. ;)

-Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

clovisc
Member
Posts: 4159
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska

Re: Rhino

Postby clovisc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:27 am

I am also very curious when we are going to begin seeing Rhinos on the shelves! With that sweet little trailing point, this is definitely going to be a carry piece for me. :) Right now, the only trailing point Spydie in my carry rotation is a Moran.

JonesE
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Rhino

Postby JonesE » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 am

Awesome thread! This has got to be my favorite thread on the forum. Thank you Michael for bringing you Rhino to life and sharing with us. It has been really interesting to follow the process from design to finished knife. By the way got a preorder in with KC when they posted the Rhino to their website. Thank you Sal and Eric for collaborating with Michael and bringing his great design to market.

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:52 am

clovisc wrote:I am also very curious when we are going to begin seeing Rhinos on the shelves! With that sweet little trailing point, this is definitely going to be a carry piece for me. :) Right now, the only trailing point Spydie in my carry rotation is a Moran.
Glad to hear that, clovisc. ;) I've always enjoyed the trailing-point blade profile too. I regret not purchasing one of the original Lil' Temp Trailing Point models when they were still available. The Moran is an excellent design too, but I'd love to see a folding Moran Trailing Point. That would be awesome.

-Michael

JonesE wrote:Awesome thread! This has got to be my favorite thread on the forum. Thank you Michael for bringing you Rhino to life and sharing with us. It has been really interesting to follow the process from design to finished knife. By the way got a preorder in with KC when they posted the Rhino to their website. Thank you Sal and Eric for collaborating with Michael and bringing his great design to market.
Thank you for the kind words, JonesE. :) It has been my pleasure to share this with you. I am hoping you will like your new knife. Welcome to the forum, too!

Take care,

Michael
Whitetail addict wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Whitetail addict wrote:
Very nice, love the look of your custom version.
Thank you, Whitetail addict. I really appreciate that. :) I am hoping it will be a useful tool in the woods for hunters and outdoors folks alike. I was raised in a hunting family and my wife is an avid bow-hunter. I am hoping to get some good feed-back on the Rhino this fall if my kin are able to take a few deer. With regard to your screen name, I am thinking you are a hunter also?

Take care,

Michael
Yea I am, sorry for the late reply.
I am for sure going to get a rhino and I will try it out for skinning, hopefully im lucky enough to harvest some game and test it out.
No problem at all. :) I am glad to hear that you enjoy hunting. I used to be a hunter (mostly bow and muzzleloader), but knifemaking has taken over most of my hunting time in the fall/winter months. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how the knife functions for you out in the woods.

-Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
RadioactiveSpyder
Member
Posts: 3773
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: Lost in space

Re: Rhino

Postby RadioactiveSpyder » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Very interesting thread Michael, thanks so much for sharing! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

User avatar
i am travvy
Member
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: Rhino

Postby i am travvy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Okay, this knife isn't even out yet and I already want a sprint with those micarta scales.

JT
Member
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Rhino

Postby JT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:37 pm

SpyderNut wrote:
I used to be a hunter (mostly bow and muzzleloader),

-Michael
Man after my own heart :)

Sorry for the ot.. what kind of bows? I got into bows few years back (been hunting with rifles/shotguns for decades) and bought a compound first (Diamond Core), it's been downhill ever since, have two recurves now that I use, latest being a Falco Storm (hunting/horsebow), what an awesome bow! I'm hooked all the way now :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.

JT
Member
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Rhino

Postby JT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
JT wrote:Now, only thing we need is a release date :D
This/these will be my first Taiwan made Spydies, it's about time I guess :D
You don't have any Spydies from Taiwan?! :eek:
lol they are like the best ones...chaparral, des horn, gayle bradley anything, serrata....etc
Sorry I missed this. Nothing against Taiwan made Spydies!
Just have to limit my spending alltogether, so I can't have all the goodies I want.. :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:21 pm

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Very interesting thread Michael, thanks so much for sharing! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Thank you, sir. :) I am happy you've enjoyed it.
i am travvy wrote:Okay, this knife isn't even out yet and I already want a sprint with those micarta scales.
Thanks, Travvy. :) Canvas and Linen Micarta are some of my favorite handle materials too.

JT wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
I used to be a hunter (mostly bow and muzzleloader),

-Michael
Man after my own heart :)

Sorry for the ot.. what kind of bows? I got into bows few years back (been hunting with rifles/shotguns for decades) and bought a compound first (Diamond Core), it's been downhill ever since, have two recurves now that I use, latest being a Falco Storm (hunting/horsebow), what an awesome bow! I'm hooked all the way now :D
Hey JT,
Traditional bows are a lot of fun. It sound like you've got some nice ones too. :) My first foray into archery started many years ago with a simple 25# Fox recurve bow that belonged to my father. My brother and I practiced using cedar-shafted arrows and shot at targets in the back yard. It was a lot of fun and taught us how to instinct shoot. My first "real" bow was a Martin Prowler dual cam compound bow (55-70#) that I purchased when I was in high school. I got it for a good price because this was about the same time that Mathews was introducing their Solo Cam bows. Anyway, I cranked my bow down to 62# and practiced every single day using Easton XX75 2213's and 125 grain field points. I was actually a pretty decent shot back then. For deer hunting, I used NAP Thunderhead broadheads (125 grain). When I was 17, I was blessed with the opportunity to take a 12 point typical whitetail buck with my bow. It was a happy moment because my Dad was there to share the experience with me.
I haven't shot for several years since resuming knifemaking, but my wife is an avid bow-hunter and shoots a Mathews Jewel (50#). She is likely a better shot than I ever was with a bow. Her ability to hit targets consistently at 30 yards is very impressive. I have been toying with getting a new bow for several years (perhaps a Hoyt or Bow Tech), but time is in short demand these days. ;) Maybe someday.

What type of broadheads do you prefer for hunting?

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

ImageX
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:43 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Rhino

Postby ImageX » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:44 am

Great write up. It's always interesting to see the process step by step. I hurried to go preorder... and was thrilled to see such a great price! It's a no brainer. Thanks!

Studey
Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Rhino

Postby Studey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:42 am

Was thrilled to see the Rhino in the mid year supplement. Getting to see the actual size is brilliant. Looks perfect!

JT
Member
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Rhino

Postby JT » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:22 pm

SpyderNut wrote:
Hey JT,
Traditional bows are a lot of fun.

What type of broadheads do you prefer for hunting?

Take care,

Michael

I happily admit, I'm a rookie compared to you and your wife :) There's just something so primitive when hunting with the bow, and I like it alot, no matter if I get any game or not. When I was young it was all about the game, not so much anymore.

I'm pretty accurate to say 20 yards with the recurve, and I'll keep that as the max limit until I practice more. I use Judo's or G5 SGH for small game, and G5 montec is reserved for Roe Deer, no luck with them yet, it is a real challenge to get close enough. But that's the fun of it.

Sorry guys for the OT, back on topic fellas. :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7725
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Rhino

Postby SpyderNut » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:32 pm

JT wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Hey JT,
Traditional bows are a lot of fun.

What type of broadheads do you prefer for hunting?

Take care,

Michael

I happily admit, I'm a rookie compared to you and your wife :) There's just something so primitive when hunting with the bow, and I like it alot, no matter if I get any game or not. When I was young it was all about the game, not so much anymore.

I'm pretty accurate to say 20 yards with the recurve, and I'll keep that as the max limit until I practice more. I use Judo's or G5 SGH for small game, and G5 montec is reserved for Roe Deer, no luck with them yet, it is a real challenge to get close enough. But that's the fun of it.

Sorry guys for the OT, back on topic fellas. :D
You are too kind, JT. I am sure you are much better than just a rookie. :) Besides that, it takes a considerable amount of patience and skill to become proficient with traditional archery equipment vs. the modern stuff. ;) I hear you about it being about the game. The last few years that I hunted, I generally put my bow aside and just took pleasure in taking pictures of the deer and other wildlife. Talk about a cathartic experience.
Montecs make a great broadhead. My wife and father-in-law both swear by them. I hope you have a very successful hunting season this year.

(Sorry for the ramblings. :o )

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: Michael Reinhold

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

JT
Member
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Rhino

Postby JT » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:09 am

SpyderNut wrote: The last few years that I hunted, I generally put my bow aside and just took pleasure in taking pictures of the deer and other wildlife. Talk about a cathartic experience.

:D :D
Funny but true, I bought a Nikon D3200 about a year ago, and been "shooting" with it alot.. but I'm still on the trial-and-error phase, can't say it' a hobby yet :D Dang apertures and exposures and ISO:s... soooo much to learn.

I've got the 18-55mm, and 70-200mm and 35mm lenses so far. Actually should have listened to the experienced guys, and stick with the kit lens until I've learned how to take decent pics :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Colorodo, Google [Bot], MSN [Bot], wrdwrght and 66 guests