Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Rhino

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Is that a typo?!?!?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
paladin

Post by paladin »

Michael, is a handle swamp "doable" with the Rhino?

Any nested parts or is everything flush mounted?

Love your design but peel ply G10 is the bane of my existence!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The low price of $50 made me take another look at this knife today. I think it is going to be a lot smaller than I (and others) expected. Not saying that is bad, but I can already foresee people requesting a larger version once this lil' beauty is released.

I had the chance to handle the Lil' Lum the other day and man was it tiny. Almost put it on your keys kinda tiny. According to Spyderco the specs for the Rhino are close to the Lil' Lum.

Rhino overall length: 5.95"
Lil' Lum overall length: 5.41"

Here is a quick comparison of the two from Mr. Blondes thread.

Anyway, just an observation. I'll be getting one. At that price, maybe a few :)

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is right in between the Dragonfly and the Chaparral in size. They are both pretty popular. I would like to see a bigger one as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Well at $50, this should be the most wallet friendly Compression lock ever. Hopefully it will bring some folks over to Spyderco
SG89

Post by SG89 »

twinboysdad wrote:Well at $50, this should be the most wallet friendly Compression lock ever. Hopefully it will bring some folks over to Spyderco
Everything you just said^
:)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have to admit that I'm not exactly thrilled with the blade shape but, for $50 for a small folder with compression lock, you can bet I'll get one of these.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bchan wrote:
bh49 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Man, BD1 is not exciting but this is still the only Mid Year that floats my boat
do you want to wait a year for sprint with S110V and dark green polished G10 scales (I know, wishful thinking :) )? or get this now?
I for one would prefer (and can wait for) S110V steel. Sorry Michael, I do not mean to offend, BD1 does not do this knife justice, your knife deserves better.
No offense taken, bchan. I appreciate your thoughts on the Rhino. I am led to think that CTS-BD1 will be a solid choice for EDC use. Beyond that, we never know what Sal and Eric may eventually decide to do in terms of a Sprint Run. ;)
paladin wrote:Michael, is a handle swap "doable" with the Rhino?

Any nested parts or is everything flush mounted?

Love your design but peel ply G10 is the bane of my existence!
I think a handle swap is certainly doable for the Rhino. To be honest, I've not handled the final production version yet, but it appears that the liner(s) are basically just nested into the G-10 scales. (I'm estimating somewhere at around 0.050" +/-). If one had access to a basic mill, it would be fairly easy to mill out the recessed areas and create a new set of custom scales out of a preferred handle material. For what it's worth, I used dark green canvas Micarta on the first Rhino. It looked pretty neat, if I must say. :)
Liquid Cobra wrote:The low price of $50 made me take another look at this knife today. I think it is going to be a lot smaller than I (and others) expected. Not saying that is bad, but I can already foresee people requesting a larger version once this lil' beauty is released.

I had the chance to handle the Lil' Lum the other day and man was it tiny. Almost put it on your keys kinda tiny. According to Spyderco the specs for the Rhino are close to the Lil' Lum.

Rhino overall length: 5.95"
Lil' Lum overall length: 5.41"

Here is a quick comparison of the two from Mr. Blondes thread.

Anyway, just an observation. I'll be getting one. At that price, maybe a few :)

Thanks for the comparison pictures, LC. I am hoping the Rhino will fill a small niche in the Spyderco LBK line-up. :)
bearfacedkiller wrote:It is right in between the Dragonfly and the Chaparral in size. They are both pretty popular. I would like to see a bigger one as well.
When talking about a bigger Rhino, what would be your preferred specifications? (E.g. blade length, overall length, closed length, etc.)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:Well at $50, this should be the most wallet friendly Compression lock ever. Hopefully it will bring some folks over to Spyderco
That has been my hope as well. I am glad to see the Rhino priced at a price-point that should be comfortable for most folks. I also plan on buying several of these to give away to family and friends, so this should work out quite well. :)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Very happy with the price point on this one. I wasn't sure if I was getting one at first, but its hard to pass up a compression lock folder under $50. And in my experience, bd1 is a perfectly functional and adequate steel for a small EDC. Congrats Michael, I think this one should do quite well!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you, Lance. I am pretty stoked to see it at around the $50 mark too. I am eager to hear what you think of the design after you've had some time to try it out. :)

BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

Looks great! I can't help but guess that the $50 price point has something to do with what appears to be "Taipei Taiwan" marked on the photos in the catalog.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

Also hello spydie-world! Been lurking for a few years.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

SpyderNut wrote:
That has been my hope as well. I am glad to see the Rhino priced at a price-point that should be comfortable for most folks. I also plan on buying several of these to give away to family and friends, so this should work out quite well. :)[/quote

Buying a few? Is this on top of the 100 or so that Spyderco comps you for designing this bad boy?!? Kidding of course, and as they say here in AL "you done good" on this design
bh49

Post by bh49 »

BelgiumRofls wrote:Also hello spydie-world! Been lurking for a few years.

BelgiumRofls,

Welcome to the Forum.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

SpyderNut wrote: That has been my hope as well. I am glad to see the Rhino priced at a price-point that should be comfortable for most folks.
I think it's a fantastic product, with a lot of potential to grab new users. Not only the price point, but the unintimidating size combined with a design that looks super useful and comfortable, yet not overly radical. Of course, price is probably key in drawing new people in, and if BD1 helped achieve that then I think it's a great choice. I've actually been curious to try this steel, and I'm glad I can have it is something new. My pre-order is in! :)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BelgiumRofls wrote:Also hello spydie-world! Been lurking for a few years.
Welcome aboard, BelgiumRofls. Glad to have you here!
PayneTrain wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: That has been my hope as well. I am glad to see the Rhino priced at a price-point that should be comfortable for most folks.
I think it's a fantastic product, with a lot of potential to grab new users. Not only the price point, but the unintimidating size combined with a design that looks super useful and comfortable, yet not overly radical. Of course, price is probably key in drawing new people in, and if BD1 helped achieve that then I think it's a great choice. I've actually been curious to try this steel, and I'm glad I can have it is something new. My pre-order is in! :)
Thank you for the nice comments, PayneTrain. :) I never dreamt the Rhino would become a "gateway drug" to the Spyderco addiction. :o :D :p All kidding aside, I am pretty pleased to see it priced like this. If the Rhino helps to draw folks in for a closer look at Spyderco and its superb products, then I am very happy indeed. :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
That has been my hope as well. I am glad to see the Rhino priced at a price-point that should be comfortable for most folks. I also plan on buying several of these to give away to family and friends, so this should work out quite well. :)[/quote

Buying a few? Is this on top of the 100 or so that Spyderco comps you for designing this bad boy?!? Kidding of course, and as they say here in AL "you done good" on this design
Thank you very much, TBD. :) We use that same saying up here in my neck of the woods too.

As for comps, I'm actually just super excited to see this knife in the Spyderco catalog. :D That is all the compensation I'll really ever need. :) :)

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Really, really looking forwards to this design! Maybe it will be successful enough to inspire a larger version, as well?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Did think it to be a bit small when holding it at the Spydiemeet but at this price I'll definitely get one!
At this price point it should be a brilliant addition to the catalog, best looking friendly priced and friendly looking sized blade around.
Ofcourse also great to see a compression lock at this price level.
This one should go big, congratulations on finally having it out there!