Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joris Mo

Re: Rhino

Post by Joris Mo »

Yes, I have also heard of a store that has a service grinding Spyderedges into blades but I should someday try to order a blade, see if I can have it delivered there then ground and shipped to me in the Netherlands.
We usually pay a load of taxes and shipping (customs here even tax the shipping fees) so if I would have to pay that twice it would become very expensive.
Should look into it though, maybe try out a Byrd first?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Joris Mo wrote:Yes, I have also heard of a store that has a service grinding Spyderedges into blades but I should someday try to order a blade, see if I can have it delivered there then ground and shipped to me in the Netherlands.
We usually pay a load of taxes and shipping (customs here even tax the shipping fees) so if I would have to pay that twice it would become very expensive.
Should look into it though, maybe try out a Byrd first?
I've had the same thought about purchasing an inexpensive PE model or even making a basic folder and then sending it out for a full SE or even a combo-edge. It would be cool to hear from other folks who have used this service on their own knives before "jumping in" with both feet. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

It would also be great to have a SE customground to be able to decide how you want a "combo-edge", I would like one with about 15mm from the tip plain the rest serrated.. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Exactly! That would be very similar to how the old SE Military models were done. This gives you a decent section of PE right at the tip, which is great for detail cutting.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

From the mid-year catalog:

Reinhold Rhino™
Designed by Michael Reinhold, the Reinhold Rhino offers impressive
strength and cutting performance in a very compact package. Its
thoughtfully radiused, ergonomic handle combines textured G-10 scales
and nested stainless steel liners to offer a comfortable, hand-filling grip.
It’s also home to Spyderco’s patented Compression Lock™ mechanism,
which provides extreme lock strength and easy one-handed operation. The
sweeping full-flat-ground CTS® BD1 stainless steel blade packs plenty
of edge into its length and cuts with authority far beyond its size. To ensure
convenient carry, the Reinhold Rhino includes a reversible clip that provides
ambidextrous tip-up carry and a lined lanyard hole for easy
attachment of lanyards and fobs.

SKU Number C210GP
Model Name Reinhold Rhino
Closed Length 3.60in 91mm
Overall Length 5.95in 151mm
Blade Length 2.35in 60mm
Edge Length 2.23in 57mm
Blade Thickness 0.114in 2.9mm
Steel CTS BD1
Weight 2.5oz 71g
Grind Full-flat
Edge PlainEdge
Lock Type Compression
Handle G-10
R/L/Ambi Ambi
Clip Tip-up
Origin Taiwan
Sully

Post by Sully »

The Reinhold Rhino is now REAL! Congratulations, Michael! Very impressive "Little Big Knife." So many quality details in this little beast of a cutter. Well-designed ergos. Cool blade shape. Nested liners, nice touch. Looking forward to getting a hold of it.

When the champagne eventually does stop flowing, :) please share any details you can about the :spyder: journey and also your designer''s mark.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So will the BD1 steel dramatically reduce the price of this knife? Or not so much?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Rhino is one of only two knives I will be interested in mid-year catalog. I never tried BD1 either. I hope the price will not brake a bank due to heavy royalties to designer :D :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Man, BD1 is not exciting but this is still the only Mid Year that floats my boat
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:Man, BD1 is not exciting but this is still the only Mid Year that floats my boat
do you want to wait a year for sprint with S110V and dark green polished G10 scales (I know, wishful thinking :) )? or get this now?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bh49 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Man, BD1 is not exciting but this is still the only Mid Year that floats my boat
do you want to wait a year for sprint with S110V and dark green polished G10 scales (I know, wishful thinking :) )? or get this now?
You are talking to the worst immediate gratification person you have ever met...me want now
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sully wrote:The Reinhold Rhino is now REAL! Congratulations, Michael! Very impressive "Little Big Knife." So many quality details in this little beast of a cutter. Well-designed ergos. Cool blade shape. Nested liners, nice touch. Looking forward to getting a hold of it.

When the champagne eventually does stop flowing, :) please share any details you can about the :spyder: journey and also your designer''s mark.
You are too kind, Sully. Thank you for the nice comments. :) I'd love to share my journey with Spyderco with you and the gang. Talk about a fantastic ride! :) I'll do a little write-up here soon regarding my experience and also my designer's mark. ;)

Liquid Cobra wrote:So will the BD1 steel dramatically reduce the price of this knife? Or not so much?
That is a good question. I'm not entirely sure, but I am guessing that it may not effectively lower the overall cost since it is a USA-made steel and must be shipped overseas for production (especially when compared to a steel like VG-10 that is already manufactured overseas).

bh49 wrote:Rhino is one of only two knives I will be interested in mid-year catalog. I never tried BD1 either. I hope the price will not brake a bank due to heavy royalties to designer :D :)
Hahaha! :D :D :D :D That is too funny, Roman. Good stuff!
twinboysdad wrote:
bh49 wrote:
You are talking to the worst immediate gratification person you have ever met...me want now
:D ;) :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for posting the info from the Mid-Year Catalog, Sparky2016. That was the first thing I saw when I opened this thread. :)

bchan

Post by bchan »

bh49 wrote:
I for one would prefer (and can wait for) S110V steel. Sorry Michael, I do not mean to offend, BD1 does not do this knife justice, your knife deserves better.
20$Bandit

Post by 20$Bandit »

Is that a compression lock I see? Love the sweeping lines, I wish the hardware & clip were black it would be darn near perfect.

Definitely on the acquisition list.
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Man, great price on this. $50 at KnifeCenter. I think I will have to get one as well now. I don't have a blade shape like this at all.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

FullCircleHook wrote:Man, great price on this. $50 at KnifeCenter. I think I will have to get one as well now. I don't have a blade shape like this at all.
This will be a very popular knife!
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

abbazaba wrote:
FullCircleHook wrote:Man, great price on this. $50 at KnifeCenter. I think I will have to get one as well now. I don't have a blade shape like this at all.
This will be a very popular knife!
Agreed. It seems like a very good value at that price point.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Holy smokes. I have expressed my concerns over the pricing of some models but wow. This is a great value. Way to go!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sully

Post by Sully »

Under $50? Did not expect that either!
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]