Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Danger

Re: Rhino

Post by Mr Danger »

As long as it stays sub $100, I'm in 100%. Anything more and I would have to seriously weigh my decision.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Clearly there was a problem with the QC of the original factory. Glad they're not shipping an inferior product.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpyderNut wrote: I can certainly understand where you're coming from. I can honestly say, however, that some pretty exciting things are in process right now for the Rhino. I hope you might take another look when the time comes for the release :)
Um... you sound like you got some good news! Feel free to share! ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: I can certainly understand where you're coming from. I can honestly say, however, that some pretty exciting things are in process right now for the Rhino. I hope you might take another look when the time comes for the release :)
I wonder if it has to do with the EDC steel choice thread that he recently started?? :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BDNX wrote: You understand it would be different if we were already expecting the newer version all this time. However we were led to believe that it would be the previous. It's not so much the Rhino I'm passing on, it's being misled as to what was actually coming out...I'm not saying it's a bad thing that it's being upgraded. Just wish it was supposed to be that this whole time.
Hi BDNX,
I appreciate your thoughts and I certainly understand your frustration.

Needless to say, this is a very unique situation. This type of thing has not occurred very often in the the history of Spyderco. I believe Hgwxx7 and Roman (bh49) summed things up very well: It was never Spyderco's intention to move the Rhino from Taipei. From the beginning, the original plan was to produce the Rhino as a value folder in Taipei. Unfortunately, things did not work out as planned and Spyderco had to look at other options. Since the Rhino had been already publicly announced at the time, it was decided to move the Rhino to Taichung so that production could continue. In light of this, I sincerely do not believe that Spyderco was trying to mislead us by making the change. This has been frustrating for Spyderco also. Although it is unfortunate that things did not work out for the first Rhino, I know the Taichung Rhino will be very well worth the wait.

As I mentioned before, I greatly appreciate everyone's continued support and interest in this project.

Kind regards,

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

No news on steel yet?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I was on the fence for this one, but now I'm all in for one! This is going to be a great little knife. Kudos to Spyderco for handling this the way they did!
Josh
foofie

Post by foofie »

I am happy about the change. And it will save me some money...

Regardless of how much the new knife costs, it will be cheaper than the original rhino plus the sprint run for better materials.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

This is wonderful news, for me. I've handled the Cat, which was made at the 'Taiwan' factory, and was a bit let down on build quality, and a bit concerned for the Rhino's future. But knowing that we're about to get a small, Taichung-made Compression Lock? Very exciting!
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

NickShabazz wrote:This is wonderful news, for me. I've handled the Cat, which was made at the 'Taiwan' factory, and was a bit let down on build quality, and a bit concerned for the Rhino's future. But knowing that we're about to get a small, Taichung-made Compression Lock? Very exciting!
+1
I never owned any knives made by second or probably I should say first "Taiwan" factory, which had quality problems in the past like original run of CF Cat and Chicago. I am glad that Spyderco moved this folder to "Taichung" contractor. I can be wrong, but I think that both of these contractors are located in Taichung. Fortunately for us, they mark their blades differently.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Afterman wrote:No news on steel yet?
Still in-the-works at this time. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bh49 wrote:
NickShabazz wrote:This is wonderful news, for me. I've handled the Cat, which was made at the 'Taiwan' factory, and was a bit let down on build quality, and a bit concerned for the Rhino's future. But knowing that we're about to get a small, Taichung-made Compression Lock? Very exciting!
+1
I never owned any knives made by second or probably I should say first "Taiwan" factory, which had quality problems in the past like original run of CF Cat and Chicago. I am glad that Spyderco moved this folder to "Taichung" contractor. I can be wrong, but I think that both of these contractors are located in Taichung. Fortunately for us, they mark their blades differently.
I thought the secondary Taiwan factory was located in Tai Pei?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

Glad to hear that the Rhino is still on the way. Bringing it to Taichung only makes me more excited for it. It gives that beautiful design the chance to be even better!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
bh49 wrote:
+1
I thought the secondary Taiwan factory was located in Tai Pei?
As I said. I can be wrong on this.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Misleading still. Intentional or otherwise. All I have to say on the issue.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

BDNX wrote:Misleading still. Intentional or otherwise. All I have to say on the issue.
What is misleading????? :confused:

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Very exciting news!!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Finally an update (check the latest Sypderbite for photos too) !!! Apparently, the big changes will apparently be: XHP blade steel, Peel-ply textured carbon fiber/G-10 laminate handle scales, and Phosphor bronze washers. I'm both excited and a little disappointed; I really love to hear the model got an upgrade in materials, but all I could think about when reading the update was how much more it's going to cost... I'll definitely be driving down to Golden as soon as I hear it's out, but I'm still a little disappointed we won't see another solid addition to Spyderco's more value-minded folders. Either way, it'll be an excellent knife and I'm sure the changes were made for the best!
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Really sad this one still hasn't surfaced yet. Another manufacturing mishap? Hopefully it'll be worth the wait...

I'll just keep staring at this photo from the May Spyderbyte...

Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Really the only Spyderco I'm coveting at the moment, other than the S90v Para 3.