Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Rhino

Post by SpyderNut »

bchan wrote:Michael, one or two centimeters longer would be ideal for me but I am willing to give the existing version a try when it comes out. Thanks again for following up on my post.
It is my pleasure. :) Basically, it looks like two centimeters would be a little over 0.75" longer than the current version. It will be interesting to see how the current size fares after it is released. If all goes well, perhaps Spyderco would consider a larger version at some point?
bh49 wrote:I like the size as is. I have plenty of bigger knives. Not enough of smaller ones.
Thank you, Roman. I hope you like it. :)
Liquid Cobra wrote:Is the name confirmed? It hasn't been taken by another company? Because I want to buy one based on the name alone.
Thanks! Yes, as a matter of fact, the Reinhold Rhino is the approved name for this model. We had originally considered using the name "Lil' Rhino," but that name had already been taken.
bh49 wrote:I wish it would be available now. The size (of of cause blade shape) is perfect for vacation, when you are not sure about knife legal length. And mine is coming soon.
Michael,
Are you sure that you do not have couple dozen of production samples in your toolbox? :)
Roman, you make a good point about the Rhino being a good vacation knife. Perhaps I could try to make one in Z-FiNit as a Salt version of sorts? :) LOL, I wish I had several production models in the toolbox! Unfortunately, I only had my one handmade prototype and it now resides with Sal and Eric. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Nice design, indeed. But - maybe I'm just blind - I'm still missing the information about the steel?!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

archangel wrote:Nice design, indeed. But - maybe I'm just blind - I'm still missing the information about the steel?!
According to an earlier post, Sal and Eric haven't decided on the steel yet.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thank you, Spydersense.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sully

Post by Sully »

Any updates?

Late to the party, but can't help but still celebrate, and anticipate, such a cool LBK design. So impressed, SpyderNut!

You've already thoroughly explained the ideal-ergos-priority need to occlude the Spyderhole on one side.:eek: Makes total design sense, even to this stubborn lefty. :)

What I don't think has been covered is: Why not GRAY G10? Just a slight departure from ubiquitous basic black, but IMHO would add to the Rhino's uniqueness as well as a bit of understated whimsy. Both black and white rhinoceroses being actually gray. (different in lip shape.) Just a random thought, perhaps for an upcoming Rhino Sprint :eek: Black G10, gray, BLURPLE, it looks like a definite winner!

Down the road ... I can already envision the "Albino Rhino." A rare Reverse Rhino for lefties –– so rare in fact that it must be paired with WHITE linen micarta scales! :D
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Oh man. Sully that is a great idea. Making it grey G10 would be a really nice touch. I'd prefer that over the black.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am with you guys. I have plenty of black folders. grey will be good. Dark green even better :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Studey

Post by Studey »

I love the gray idea.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Any news on steel for this? Atleast S30V please!!!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I just saw an old G. Sakai Kataba folder, and realized the handle cutout looked very similar to my eyes and reminded me of this Rhino.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sully wrote:Any updates?

Late to the party, but can't help but still celebrate, and anticipate, such a cool LBK design. So impressed, SpyderNut!

You've already thoroughly explained the ideal-ergos-priority need to occlude the Spyderhole on one side.:eek: Makes total design sense, even to this stubborn lefty. :)

What I don't think has been covered is: Why not GRAY G10? Just a slight departure from ubiquitous basic black, but IMHO would add to the Rhino's uniqueness as well as a bit of understated whimsy. Both black and white rhinoceroses being actually gray. (different in lip shape.) Just a random thought, perhaps for an upcoming Rhino Sprint :eek: Black G10, gray, BLURPLE, it looks like a definite winner!

Down the road ... I can already envision the "Albino Rhino." A rare Reverse Rhino for lefties –– so rare in fact that it must be paired with WHITE linen micarta scales! :D
Sully,

Thank you for your kind words and interest in the Rhino. :) As for updates, I haven't unfortunately received any new information regarding its status. However, I did receive a request from Spyderco this past week asking me to provide some background information about the design and myself for use in the Product Information Guides. I am hopeful that this means that things are progressing right along with production. :)

I like your idea about the gray G-10 scales for the Rhino, that would make for neat Sprint--maybe a Cruwear Rhino Sprint? :)

@Liquid Cobra: Just out of curiosity, do you prefer peel-ply grey G-10 or smooth?

@ bh49: Funny you should mention the dark green scales, Roman. The original Rhino I made featured dark green canvas Micarta scales. (Unfortunately, Micarta has shown issues with shrinkage in times past, so Spyderco prefers to use G-10, which is fine with me. :))

@Studey: Me too. :)

@Popsickle: I still haven't heard about the steel type, but we'll see if we can get some info soon.

@Speedholes: I see what you mean. That is actually very similar in its design to the Rhino.

Thanks again for the discussion, guys. I will let you know if I hear anything new! :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote: @ bh49: Funny you should mention the dark green scales, Roman. The original Rhino I made featured dark green canvas Micarta scales. (Unfortunately, Micarta has shown issues with shrinkage in times past, so Spyderco prefers to use G-10, which is fine with me. :))
I would love to see polished dark green G10 scales. XHP will be nice as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hey SpyderNut. I would definitely prefer textured peel ply G10, but that's just a personal preference of mine. I think the Rhino would work just fine with smooth G10 since you designed the ergos so well!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sully

Post by Sully »

I agree with L.C.. With such well-designed ergos, specific G10 and color just add flavor to a very potent, efficient Rhino.

XHP would be sweet. Cruwear Sprint would be a Psycho Rhino! :D
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote: I would love to see polished dark green G10 scales. XHP will be nice as well.
Polished dark green G-10 would indeed look superb. I'd like to get the handle polished to about the same finish as found on the Hungarian. Very elegant and smooth.
Liquid Cobra wrote:Hey SpyderNut. I would definitely prefer textured peel ply G10, but that's just a personal preference of mine. I think the Rhino would work just fine with smooth G10 since you designed the ergos so well!
Thanks man. :) Peel-ply definitely has its benefits--especially on knives like the Dodo and Poliwog. For what it's worth, I purposefully left the edges of my original Rhino's Micarta handle a bit "rough" to allow for a better grip. I then finished the flats of the scales to a near high satin finish. Kind of gave it a nice contrast, really.
Sully wrote:I agree with L.C.. With such well-designed ergos, specific G10 and color just add flavor to a very potent, efficient Rhino.

XHP would be sweet. Cruwear Sprint would be a Psycho Rhino! :D
Potent and efficient...and a Psycho Rhino. I like the sound of that! :) I'm also toying with the idea of doing a Salt Rhino at some point. Do you guys think there would be a market for something like that?

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Apart from the fact that any Rhino will be very cool, a Cruwear gray G10 would be great! Any gray G10 would be very nice I think.
I would like a Salt Rhino in FRN as well. (with SE of course)
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

I'm already sold from the looks of it! Hope this will happen anytime soon :)
JT

Post by JT »

SpyderNut wrote:[ I'm also toying with the idea of doing a Salt Rhino at some point. Do you guys think there would be a market for something like that?
H1 any day for me :D It would have to be frn then though? Still count me in :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Just make sure it's screw construction and not pinned! I've got some mod plans for this one brewing already! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Joris Mo wrote:Apart from the fact that any Rhino will be very cool, a Cruwear gray G10 would be great! Any gray G10 would be very nice I think.
I would like a Salt Rhino in FRN as well. (with SE of course)
Thank you for the feedback, Joris. I like the idea of full SE also. I know EvilD knew of a gentleman who could grind aftermarket serrations into blades. This may be something to look into.
Squawk wrote:I'm already sold from the looks of it! Hope this will happen anytime soon :)
Me too, Squawk. I am pretty eager to see the finished model too. :)
JT wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:[ I'm also toying with the idea of doing a "salt" Rhino at some point. Do you guys think there would be a market for something like that?
H1 any day for me :D It would have to be frn then though? Still count me in :D
That is a good point, JT. I'm not sure if it would actually require FRN or not. In light of Sal's upcoming Caribbean in LC 200N and G-10, I am led to believe that G-10 or even Titanium would also be good options for a Salt knife.

I mention this idea mainly because I recently acquired a few pieces of Z-FiNit nitrogen-based stainless steel (which is reportedly very similar to LC 200N). I plan to experiment with it a little over the summer/fall. If all goes well, I may try to make a custom "salt" Rhino. (On a side note, I should mention here that making a "salt" Rhino concept model is strictly just my silly idea and does not reflect the plans of Spyderco... :o )
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Just make sure it's screw construction and not pinned! I've got some mod plans for this one brewing already! ;)
For sure! :) Based on what I've heard, I am quite certain it will be screw-together build. Also, I believe that the pivot pin on the Rhino will feature a Torx drive instead of the Phillips drive (as shown in the pictures of the concept model in the Amsterdam thread). I love that Spyderco also decided to nest the liners. That was a truly nice and unexpected feature. :)