Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Rhino

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Well there you have it. Dang..
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the info, Mr. Danger, even though it was not the news I was hoping for. :( I'm still holding out hope that the Rhino will be here before my birthday. Hey, that would be one heck of a nice surprise. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BTG

Post by BTG »

SpyderNut wrote:
BTG wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:Michael, I am still waiting for your knife. The price point is nice and it is my most wanted small knife from Spyderco this year. You know, when you publish a book, you get a certain number of copies for yourself to sell. Maybe they should do that with knife designers, too.

Hey Roman,
That is a pretty cool idea. In the case of the Rhino, though, I'm not sure if folks would actually want me defacing their Spyderco knife boxes with my chicken-scratch signature. :D :p
Yeah, for sure I wouldn't want that on my box....id want it right on the presentation side scale, in gold Sharpie....and that one goes straight into collection....the other one I'm gonna use abuse till it gives up, then get another.
I'd be honored to do that, BTG. It will probably ding the re-sale value, but I'd be willing to sign it for you. :)
For sure, I'll have to send ya one to sign when they drop.....resale?? Haven't sold a single one yet....ill let my kids worry about that someday.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

That is some highly unfortunate news. I guess I will have to stop checking this thread on a daily basis... at least for a little while.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I was visiting our daughter in Boulder this week and naturally on the way home down south, I stopped at Spyderco in Golden for some knife talk and knife fondling. I took home a 2016 catalog and the mid-year release brochure. This latter has full size photos of the new knives and their specifications on the reverse side, one long format page per knife. Like many others here, I am planning to get a Rhino when they are released. My favorite EDC Spyderco is the Dragonfly 2 FRN. The Rhino has features not present on the DF2 that may be important to me - the G10, edge geometry and cutting edge length, liners and the compression lock. I favor back locks, well, Spyderco back locks, and the compression lock appears to be a refinement on this concept. So, I put my trusty DF2 on the photo of the Rhino to see how they physically compare (the handle ends are actually aligned, but parallax makes them seem not so):

**Note: Google did an "upgrade" which broke the links to these photos. Here they are again:

The Rhino is a bit heavier but at 2.5 oz, the difference is practically insignificant.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
badkuk

Post by badkuk »

Hi guys, just registered today. Pretty much a noob in all things sharp and pointy.

i ask as a blade geek and not someone with intent: how would this knife do for stabbing? The not-so-well-defined guard kinda worries me.

Still, quite a looker of a knife. If i ever get a hold of one, it will probably stay put in my drawer ^_^
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Not real sure on the stabbing part badkuk but welcome to the forum. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

farnorthdan wrote:Not real sure on the stabbing part badkuk but welcome to the forum. :)
+1
Michael will answer this question better, but I doubt that stabbing was included in his design intend.

And Welcome to the Forum.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
badkuk

Post by badkuk »

In my excitement, i may have overlooked what was discussed on page 1. It was explained that the subhilt/depression would augment one's grip ^_^
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

badkuk wrote:Hi guys, just registered today. Pretty much a noob in all things sharp and pointy.

i ask as a blade geek and not someone with intent: how would this knife do for stabbing? The not-so-well-defined guard kinda worries me.

Still, quite a looker of a knife. If i ever get a hold of one, it will probably stay put in my drawer ^_^
Welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity, why would the Rhino stay in your drawer?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BTG wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
BTG wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:Michael, I am still waiting for your knife. The price point is nice and it is my most wanted small knife from Spyderco this year. You know, when you publish a book, you get a certain number of copies for yourself to sell. Maybe they should do that with knife designers, too.

Hey Roman,
That is a pretty cool idea. In the case of the Rhino, though, I'm not sure if folks would actually want me defacing their Spyderco knife boxes with my chicken-scratch signature. :D :p
Yeah, for sure I wouldn't want that on my box....id want it right on the presentation side scale, in gold Sharpie....and that one goes straight into collection....the other one I'm gonna use abuse till it gives up, then get another.
I'd be honored to do that, BTG. It will probably ding the re-sale value, but I'd be willing to sign it for you. :)
For sure, I'll have to send ya one to sign when they drop.....resale?? Haven't sold a single one yet....ill let my kids worry about that someday.
Sounds good! :) Just PM me whenever you are ready and I'll give you my mailing address. Yes, I agree about your stance on resale. Let the next generation worry about such things, lol. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

MichaelScott wrote:I was visiting our daughter in Boulder this week and naturally on the way home down south, I stopped at Spyderco in Golden for some knife talk and knife fondling. I took home a 2016 catalog and the mid-year release brochure. This latter has full size photos of the new knives and their specifications on the reverse side, one long format page per knife. Like many others here, I am planning to get a Rhino when they are released. My favorite EDC Spyderco is the Dragonfly 2 FRN. The Rhino has features not present on the DF2 that may be important to me - the G10, edge geometry and cutting edge length, liners and the compression lock. I favor back locks, well, Spyderco back locks, and the compression lock appears to be a refinement on this concept. So, I put my trusty DF2 on the photo of the Rhino to see how they physically compare (the handle ends are actually aligned, but parallax makes them seem not so):

The Rhino is a bit heavier but at 2.5 oz, the difference is practically insignificant.

I also compared the Starling to the DF2:

Big difference in size overall, but surprisingly not that much in cutting length.
Michael,

Thank you for the great comparison pictures with the Dragonfly! I'm not sure why I didn't think doing this. :o Thank you, sir!

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

badkuk wrote:Hi guys, just registered today. Pretty much a noob in all things sharp and pointy.

It is a smaller knife. How hard are you going to be using it that you are worried about a guard?

Welcome to the forum btw.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity, why would the Rhino stay in your drawer?
badkuk wrote:In my excitement, i may have overlooked what was discussed on page 1. It was explained that the subhilt/depression would augment one's grip ^_^
Welcome aboard, badkuk, and thank you for the interest in the Rhino. :) As the other gentlemen stated (and as you may have since discovered in this thread), the Rhino was designed primarily for light-duty skinning/field-dressing chores and also for general EDC. The small "Bowie" style blade provides a generous amount of belly that is useful for tasks that a hunter may encounter in the field. The addition of the Compression Lock was simply genius on Sal and Eric's part. I do not think that the Rhino would be well-suited for stabbing functions, given the upswept tip position of the blade and the somewhat negative blade angle. In a pinch, I'm sure it would work modestly well for stabbing, but there are other designs out there that would work noticeably better for that function. :)

Welcome to the forum!

-Michael

badkuk

Post by badkuk »

Thanks for the replies, good points well appreciated.

i'll definitely be checking up on this knife. Looks like you got a winner here :)
BTG

Post by BTG »

I just can't wait for this knife,this is a definite EDC, I usually carry 3 knives, one bigger than this, one smaller, but this size is typically the 1st out of pocket, and used most often. I think it would be fine as a stabber/ slasher but f that's your main intent I'd probably want the reach of a longer blade, I think I'd go Ayoob for a stabber, and something Civilian/ Matriarch for a slasher..
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Do we have any updates. Still patiently awaiting any news.

JonesE
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Looking forward to this one.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I'm getting antsy over this one. I went ahead and pre ordered a second one this morning.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Just had a thought - they're made in Taiwan, and a container of them might be on a Hanjin cargo ship, drifting aimlessly around the Pacific because they can't pay the port fees... *shudder*