Salt 1 or Delica 4...GO!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Salt 1 or Delica 4...GO!

Post by murphjd25 »

I just got the approval to get a new Spydie from the wife!! Salt 1 or Delica 4, which one and why?? Serrated or not? Go!!!
Josh
Blerv

Re: Salt 1 or Delica 4...GO!

Post by Blerv »

The D4 is a much more refined knife. Liners, 4-way hourglass clip, bi-directional scale texture, etc. The Salt1 is basically a hollow-ground H1 blade in a Delica3 handle. A hard working easy to carry and rustproof knife.

If I wanted to buy a knife to really thrash on it would be a Salt1 SE. If I wanted something a bit more refined and didn't mind sharpening more frequently I would go FFG plain edge D4.
Holland

Post by Holland »

For edc I would recommend the delica (or better yet, the chaparral :D)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, everyone knows I am a huge Salt fan but in this case I would recommend the Delica. I think the Delica 4 has a better handle than the salt 1 and liners are more important to me on the thinner frn knives than they are on the thicker ones like the pacific salt.

Interestingly enough, I prefer the Pacific Salt to the Endura. The liners are not missed and I prefer the older handle style to the newer.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Unless you need the anti-corrosion properties of the Salt 1, I can't see any other reason to choose it over a Delica for EDC. Plus the Delica comes in multiple color and steel choices.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I really like both knives alot. I was leaning towards the Salt 1 because I live on the Puget Sound, but I have heard vg-10 holds up alright to rust as well? Or I could be wrong. Maybe I should just buy both, but I have always wanted a delica :D
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I must be the last guy on Earth who prefers the older style handle over the Delica 4 style. It just fits my hand better. I rather like the simplicity of a linerless FRN knife. I think it really comes down to 1) steel preferences and 2) clip orientation, since you're stuck with tip up on the Salt (which is the popular option at least).

Personally I think if I wanted serrations I'd go with the Salt, and then I'd pick my favorite steel out of the available Delica options for plain edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

murphjd25 wrote:I really like both knives alot. I was leaning towards the Salt 1 because I live on the Puget Sound, but I have heard vg-10 holds up alright to rust as well? Or I could be wrong. Maybe I should just buy both, but I have always wanted a delica :D
Ding..ding..ding, winner. Now your starting to think like a true :spyder: addict. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, everyone knows I am a huge Salt fan but in this case I would recommend the Delica. I think the Delica 4 has a better handle than the salt 1 and liners are more important to me on the thinner frn knives than they are on the thicker ones like the pacific salt.

Interestingly enough, I prefer the Pacific Salt to the Endura. The liners are not missed and I prefer the older handle style to the newer.
I wonder if it's possible to make a swap :confused: Final product: Delica4 handle with a Salt1 blade, a Saltlica :rolleyes:
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I also greatly prefer the Delica 4 handle to the Salt 1. It's only 1/4" longer, but it makes all the difference and fills my hand while the Salt 1 feels slightly lacking. If you have the chance to handle the two knives, I encourage you to do so before making a decision.
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

Delica 4 full serrated blade, why , the versatility is beyond compare. Get it cRry it and you will be amazed, I was.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

For me salt 1... the ability to wash the whole knife without worrying about liners and pivot when it gets dirty is unbeatable! Such a small knife often gets dirty close to the pivot.... that is why i like my salts....

And dirty tasks...

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am with Evil D, this is a SE v PE question for me not Salt v D4. I personally do not like the Salt, but love the Tasman and Pac Salt. I am probably the weird one but I say D4 all day. Now Endura vs Pac Salt is a battle royale
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

I own both, but the D4 CE always ends up in my pocket again.
Spydies are sharp enough to cut the fabric of Space and Time

:spyder:
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Combo edge delica
tangent

Post by tangent »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, everyone knows I am a huge Salt fan but in this case I would recommend the Delica. I think the Delica 4 has a better handle than the salt 1 and liners are more important to me on the thinner frn knives than they are on the thicker ones like the pacific salt.

These are my sentiments exactly...I don't know what it is, but I could never get used to the salt handle and sold mine. I love the D4 and the Pacific Salt and do not care much for the Endura 4. You're not alone on this one, Lance.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I think I'm going to go with both!! Thank you everyone!
Josh
Knifeaholic

Post by Knifeaholic »

Definitely the SALT-1 !

I prefer it over the Delica 4 just because it meets my needs better. I like the thougher tip, the easy adjustable pocket clip, the hollow grind and most important, the H-1 steel. It is really easy to sharpen the H1 and it gets sharper every time i regrind it. I think that H-1 is the ultimate super steel and performs even better than S30V but this is another topic.

I use the Salt-1 a lot and i gets every task done effortlessly besides its low weight. The FRN handle without liners is way more durable than you could imagine, believe me! I carry it IWB as an Back-up but i find myself using it more often as an EDC than my dedicated Para2.

I would like to show you an image but i'm unable to upload a picture because it says "file to large". (Forgive me, im new to this forum.)
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

[quote="Evil D"]I must be the last guy on Earth who prefers the older style handle over the Delica 4 style. It just fits my hand better. I rather like the simplicity of a linerless FRN knife. I think it really comes down to 1) steel preferences and 2) clip orientation, since you're stuck with tip up on the Salt (which is the popular option at least).

I thought the same thing back when the D4 came out, but over time it replaced the D3. The pocket clip on my D3 feels better than the Salt 1 for some reason. I love the yellow handle on my Salt but the wife keeps pointing to it and says it "looks silly" in my pocket. So I thought about changing out, the wife not the Salt.
Spydies are sharp enough to cut the fabric of Space and Time

:spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

murphjd25 wrote:I think I'm going to go with both!! Thank you everyone!
Hey Murph, I think that is a good plan. Though I like the handle of the D4 better, the Salt 1 offers many advantages. Lighter weight, stronger tip, tougher steel and on top of that it is completely corrosion resistant and makes an excellent work knife that can be treated with less care in any environment.

I would strongly suggest getting the serrated version of the Salt 1. Serrated h1 is harder than it's pe counterpart and performs significantly better in edge retention. Plus, its a good way to justify getting both. Everybody needs some teeth in their Spyderco lineup.