Native 5 as "Essential" in Backpacking Magazine

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Native 5 as "Essential" in Backpacking Magazine

Post by Bolster »

The FRN Native 5 got on the list of "Essential Accessories" in Backpacker Magazine April 2016 issue.

"Best way to update a classic? Make it lighter. Spyderco shaved the weight to 2.5 ounces by changing the handle to fiberglass-reinforced nylon. The material feels, well, cheap, but its multidirectional pattern kept our hands firmly planted on it in all conditions...[it] locks open with a reassuringly loud click...$75, 2.5 oz."

Also mentioned: White River K&T Knucklehead & Leatherman Signal.

Personal observation: The WHK&T knife (a fixie) is carbon steel. I'd not choose carbon steel for a backpacking knife.
Bolster

Re: Native 5 as "Essential" in Backpacking Magazine

Post by Bolster »

While we're on the subject, where or where is that FRN-bodied Caly3? That would make a nice pack folder.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Funny, I was just out hiking and thinking the same thing about my Native... Essential :)

:spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Finally the great knife is getting some recognition.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is a way cool knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

My 2nd favorite smaller/edc-size Spydie (after the PM2), great blade and great improvements!
The new PM3 in FRN might just become a best of both worlds combi of this and the PM2 to beat both but for now this or a PM2 would be my essential choice. (I like to also carry a bigger SE blade with it like the Pacific Salt)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I carry my SE native 5 almost every day and i still enjoy using and playing with it.
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Couldn't agree more and with S110v it's just Great!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It can do the great outdoors, but I would rather carry a few extra grams to have a bigger knife like a Stretch or Manix LW. The Native is on the small side...

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my Native5 LWs but I do not bring them backpacking. I have a safety orange Delica for that.

First, I like my LW backpacking folder to be bright orange so it is harder to lose in the woods.

Second, my LW backpacking folder is a companion blade to a larger fixed blade and is used for detail work and feather sticks and other light carving so the thinner blade of the Delica works great. I am sure the Native 5 would work great too and if it was my only knife I might prefer the more robust Native5 LW over the Delica4.

Third, I want as little bit easier steel to sharpen when backpacking as I am usually only carrying a small pocket stone. I am better than most with a pocket stone yet I still find value in having an easy to sharpen steel that can take a very, very fine edge. I would not bring my S90V LW Native or my S35V LW Native backpacking over my safety orange VG10 Delica for that reason alone. Now if CS comes through with a safety orange LW Native5 in CTS-XHP I may have a new companion folder to my fixed blade as I find XHP to be a little easier to sharpen than S35V or S30V and I find the Native5 to be a great knife, it just hasn't been offered in an orange handle with an easy to sharpen steel like the Delica.

I think the article is absolutely correct and the Native5 LW is an outstanding ultralight backpacking knife. Most backpackers are very particular about weight and the Native5 LW is one super lightweight knife
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?