Why no more jimping on the Cat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Why no more jimping on the Cat?

Post by Doc Dan »

I may be wrong, but it seems from reading the comments of owners of newer Cats that the excellent jimping is gone from the knife. My Cat is superlative and has jimping top and bottom. Certainly my Cat is so nice I often wondered if the Chaparral was worth the extra money (though I love it). Is this correct and they stopped the practice? Then why stop?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gbelleh

Re: Why no more jimping on the Cat?

Post by gbelleh »

I have two Cats, neither have jimping. I'm not sure why Spyderco made the change, but I don't mind the lack of jimping on the Cat. It seems plenty secure in the hand for a small folder, and sometimes a smooth thumb ramp is a good option to have.

Before getting into Spydercos, I actually used to hate jimping, and considered it a deal breaker. That's one reason it took me so long to get a Spydie.
:bug-red-white
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is a take I had not considered. But, my Cat is so nice it is hard to believe it is a $40 knife. The jimping is perfect, not too aggressive, just right. I suppose they stopped it because of cost. I may be wrong. Or, perhaps there was a QC problem with jimping later? (I have not heard of any).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

No jimping on mine and QC wise it's as good if not better than average
awa54

Post by awa54 »

wasn't there a thread where someone claimed the Cat is getting it's serrations/jimping back in the BD1 revision?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
roninair

Post by roninair »

Some had serrations ? mine is smooth and is the best pocket knife I use ,not afraid to use it, cut wire ,strip wire and even throw it into wood as a mechanic it sees all sorts of duty as it is used as a tool