Endura 4 tip shsrpness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bucket

Endura 4 tip shsrpness

Post by Bucket »

Hello. New to the forum. I'm having a hard time getting the endura sabre grind to get sharp at the tip section. The entire blade is sharp after a reprofile to 30 except the tip. Is it still obtuse? I remove all sharpie and run it over the SM and it gets hair popping sharp except for the tip. It just shaves. Doesn't pop hair like the rest . Any input?
Surfingringo

Re: Endura 4 tip shsrpness

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Bucket, the tip is likely a bit thicker behind the edge and more obtuse and you are simply not hitting the apex with your reprofile. Work it thoroughly at 30 degrees until you create a burr on both sides and you should be good to go for future sharpening and micro beveling. This can sometimes take quite awhile depending on what sharpening media you are using.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

Thanks for the tip. I'll re-mark it with sharpie and try again
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sometimes it looks like you are getting all the sharpie off but a tiny bit at the edge remains. That's why I'd suggest just working it until you create a burr.
maliboy67

Post by maliboy67 »

Surfingringo wrote:Sometimes it looks like you are getting all the sharpie off but a tiny bit at the edge remains. That's why I'd suggest just working it until you create a burr.
This comment rings so true! I struggled for a long time before I finally worked to set a proper bevel for the first time. It may seem all good but if you don't get even a small burr you aren't there. Once the bevel is set the rest is easy. I still remember the first time I got it right and realised how the edge is supposed to feel. Keep at it and you will get there.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When I struggle with getting the tip sharp, I make alternating passes starting at the heel of the blade like usual, but then I come back up starting with the tip and pushing the blade forward as I come up the stone. It helps sometimes, and also helps to prevent rounding off the tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

Here is a picture of the endura after everything was said and done..that is my fiance hair straight from the brush
Attachments
20160227_205520.jpg