Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Video: Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Dragonfly HAP 40

Post by Mr Blonde »

https://youtu.be/JF9UDKl5DmE
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Video: Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Bob Lum Lil’ Lum

Post by Mr Blonde »

https://youtu.be/JQJOc04UoDc
Nasgul

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Post by Nasgul »

Thanks for this report of the Amsterdam Meeting ! :cool: :thumbup:
A bit sad we do not see some models, but it can be understable !
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
swigert

Post by swigert »

Can't wait for a nirvana video.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

swigert wrote:Can't wait for a nirvana video.
Ditto!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Little Lum is nice. I like my Nishijin version. Do wish they would grind them thinner. These aren't hard use knives so why not make 'em cut? Same can be said for the Bradley Air, now discontinued. If that were made with a wire clip and ground thinner it would have been awesome!
Mr Blonde

Video: Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Pekka Tuominen Lil’ Nilakka

Post by Mr Blonde »

https://youtu.be/UrxfNcibfRY
Mr Blonde

Video: Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Peter Carey Magnitude

Post by Mr Blonde »

https://youtu.be/9QiE_aUyaP8
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

:eek: that Magnitude...

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Is the Magnitude hollow ground?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, Wouter. Excellent coverage, as always. :cool:

The Rhino is cool. The hole should be a bit more accessible from the left I'd say, and the clip's too big. The Nilakka's color is gorgeous. Can we please get that on others, like, say, a Native, Dfly, or Caly 3 for example? The ATR is nice - I'd lose the Cobra hood. I think a Spyderco hole is a sufficient and sure opener as is. I sound like a whiner, but it's just feedback :o . Those small knives with big clips should have the Cricket's small clip on them. Being a liner lock disliker and back lock lover, I'm don't see much for me this go around.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Z2KCT

Re: Video: Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Peter Carey Magnitude

Post by Z2KCT »

Mr Blonde wrote:https://youtu.be/9QiE_aUyaP8
This video sold me on the Magnitude!!!
PM2 Digi-Cam Satin, PM2 Black Satin, Orange Dragonfly, Smallfly, Yojimbo2, Dog-Tag DLC, Spyderco Lum Tanto
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I really like the Rhino, but I too think it will be a mistake to release it with the offside scale completely covering the spyderhole. Not only are you eliminating your lefty market but not everyone grips a knife the same way and I find that handles with less restriction on finger placement end up being more comfortable and appeal to a wider audience. Just my 2 cents.

I certainly don't mean any offense with these observations Michael. I think its a beautiful design that could have a wide appeal. I agree with others though that that design feature could have a detrimental effect on its popularity. That would be unfortunate on such a cool design.

Edit: I just read some of your responses to these issues in another thread. I will try to withhold judgement until I get one in hand. I'm sure you did a fine job with the ergos.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mr Blonde wrote:https://youtu.be/9QiE_aUyaP8
Great video. The knife starts to grow on me. Just wondering, if I buy one due to this video, can I send a bill to Wouter? :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:I really like the Rhino, but I too think it will be a mistake to release it with the offside scale completely covering the spyderhole. Not only are you eliminating your lefty market but not everyone grips a knife the same way and I find that handles with less restriction on finger placement end up being more comfortable and appeal to a wider audience. Just my 2 cents.

I certainly don't mean any offense with these observations Michael. I think its a beautiful design that could have a wide appeal. I agree with others though that that design feature could have a detrimental effect on its popularity. That would be unfortunate on such a cool design.

Edit: I just read some of your responses to these issues in another thread. I will try to withhold judgement until I get one in hand. I'm sure you did a fine job with the ergos.
Thank you for the kind words and feedback, Lance. I don't take offense to your suggestions at all. In fact, I find it to be very helpful to hear what others think about the Rhino. :) I know Sal and Eric are also watching for this type of feedback and will likely take this into consideration before they move forward with the final production.

On a side note, although it is a smaller design, I wonder if the Rhino would have any application benefits to you from a saltwater fishing standpoint? I look forward to hearing what you think of the Rhino after you get a chance to handle it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

bh49 wrote:Great video. The knife starts to grow on me. Just wondering, if I buy one due to this video, can I send a bill to Wouter? :)
Thank you, and no problem, I'll just forward the bill to Eric ;)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Surfingringo wrote:I really like the Rhino, but I too think it will be a mistake to release it with the offside scale completely covering the spyderhole. Not only are you eliminating your lefty market but not everyone grips a knife the same way and I find that handles with less restriction on finger placement end up being more comfortable and appeal to a wider audience. Just my 2 cents.

I never thought of that, good point!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I also think that the Rhino is one of the most interesting new knives at the meet. I love the blade shape. I also think that the size will be good for EDC for many. It seems like the actual cutting edge length will fall in between the Delica and Dragonfly like the Chaparral does. I will be picking one of these up for sure. Plus, you are a valuable contributor to the forum and I like to spend my money conscientiously and supporting this knife is an easy call for me.

I am right handed so the obstructed hole does not bother me. However...

I am slightly adverse to handles that tell me where to put my fingers. This applies to many tools as well as guns. I hate pistol grips with finger grooves. I think that when you first pick up a tool with finger grooves it feels really good and it feels like you have a very confident purchase on it but I also find that once I start to put the tool to use that I appreciate a little more flexibility to my grip. I don't mind one finger groove for the index finger or a choil for the index finger as it provides added security as well as a reference point for the hand but I like to have more flexibility with hand position on the rest of the knife. This is completely subjective and many clearly love finger grooves. :cool:

I can't help but think that it looks kind of like a Salsa with trailing point. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I am slightly adverse to handles that tell me where to put my fingers. This applies to many tools as well as guns. I hate pistol grips with finger grooves. I think that when you first pick up a tool with finger grooves it feels really good and it feels like you have a very confident purchase on it but I also find that once I start to put the tool to use that I appreciate a little more flexibility to my grip. I don't mind one finger groove for the index finger or a choil for the index finger as it provides added security as well as a reference point for the hand but I like to have more flexibility with hand position on the rest of the knife. This is completely subjective and many clearly love finger grooves. :cool:
Darby articulated my thoughts better than I could here. :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Rhino will look great with custom scales or after going at the stock handles with a Dremel and some sandpaper! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King