Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joris Mo

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Post by Joris Mo »

brj wrote:Love the Snap-It, I'll get at least one in SE. Hopefully the Remote Release is not too far behind... *wishful thinking emoticon*
Same here, and hopefully someday that emoticon will start working, would be used a lot here I guess.. ;)
(do think the Snap-It will have to sell before the Remote Release will follow)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

DougC-3 wrote:I'm a little confused about the carbon fiber on the Sage 5. Is this something new from Taichung? I'm not familiar with any of the newer knifes from there, but the only type of CF I have from there is the smooth but 3-D textured weave CF laminated on top of G-10
Looks like solid peel ply cf to me, like you get on the Golden knives.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

brj wrote:Love the Snap-It, I'll get at least one in SE. Hopefully the Remote Release is not too far behind... *wishful thinking emoticon*
I love the idea of it but the positioning of the hook/clip bothers me a little. I'm sure my aversion to it is based on me imagining it being more of a hindrance to cutting and sharpening than it actually is. When I think of what I do with a knife, I have a hard time imagining it actually getting in the way during any of my normal cutting tasks...my eye just doesn't like a piece of plastic intruding on the cutting plane. It's a salt so I'm sure I'll get one and use it plenty. We'll see how it goes.

What I love about the design is the hook allows the knife to be clipped to a pfd, lanyard, boat, clothing or whatever. That is an ideal feature for many of my saltwater fishing activities and I can imagine it being very useful for all sorts of other activities. I would love to see them make a clip like this that could be added to the existing barrel bolt hole on the salt 1 and pacific salt!!! I would buy a bagful of those!!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Surfingringo wrote:
I love the idea of it but the positioning of the hook/clip bothers me a little. I'm sure my aversion to it is based on me imagining it being more of a hindrance to cutting and sharpening than it actually is. When I think of what I do with a knife, I have a hard time imagining it actually getting in the way during any of my normal cutting tasks...my eye just doesn't like a piece of plastic intruding on the cutting plane. It's a salt so I'm sure I'll get one and use it plenty. We'll see how it goes.
I actually ending up cutting the hook/clip off my old Snap-It years ago for the reason you just mentioned.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It's going to get in the way. There is no way it won't.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Surfingringo wrote:

What I love about the design is the hook allows the knife to be clipped to a pfd, lanyard, boat, clothing or whatever. That is an ideal feature for many of my saltwater fishing activities and I can imagine it being very useful for all sorts of other activities. I would love to see them make a clip like this that could be added to the existing barrel bolt hole on the salt 1 and pacific salt!!! I would buy a bagful of those!!

If you look at the last 3 pictures the snap looks like a separate piece, not molded. My take on that is you remove the pivot screw and you can take it off if you want.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Z2KCT wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
From what we've heard, it sounds like the PM3 would be uniformly "shrunken" from the larger PM2 size.
That's what I was hoping for.
I don't see how that would really work. The PM2 seems like it still allows comfy usage without choking up into the choil, for people so inclined. On a sub-3" design, there won't be room for four fingers.

I mean, it doesn't matter. I have to buy one after agitating for one for the last few years.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:I'm a little confused about the carbon fiber on the Sage 5. Is this something new from Taichung? I'm not familiar with any of the newer knifes from there, but the only type of CF I have from there is the smooth but 3-D textured weave CF laminated on top of G-10
Looks like solid peel ply cf to me, like you get on the Golden knives.
That was my first take too. And now I notice that, holding my CF Manix at a sharp angle in diffuse light, the straight lines of the woven pattern show up much like they do in Wouter's pics. Never really noticed that before. So it appears we're sending them the CF (assuming it's made in the US) along with S30V. Maybe this has already been happening with some of the previous models and I just didn't pick up on it.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
brj

Post by brj »

Surfingringo wrote:
Yeah, I used to think the same about the old gen version and this is basically why I do not own a Snap-It, but dunno... the design has kinda grown on me.
Sithus1966 wrote: If you look at the last 3 pictures the snap looks like a separate piece, not molded. My take on that is you remove the pivot screw and you can take it off if you want.
I would be great for sure, but to me it looks like the pivot screw is there only for tension adjustment / maintenance on the blade and internal parts, while the snap itself is fused unto the body. Maybe someone that has attended the meet could chime in with their impression on this?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:

These folders are not meant to be slicers.I imagine they are designed mostly for climbers and/or fisherman with a few tasks in mind: to cut a cord or some fibrous material, to open a food package, things like that.I am going to purchase at least one SE Snap-it and looking forward for a salt remote-release.I'm a sucker for salts ;) :cool:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Sithus1966 wrote: If you look at the last 3 pictures the snap looks like a separate piece, not molded. My take on that is you remove the pivot screw and you can take it off if you want.
I would be great for sure, but to me it looks like the pivot screw is there only for tension adjustment / maintenance on the blade and internal parts, while the snap itself is fused unto the body. Maybe someone that has attended the meet could chime in with their impression on this?[/quote]

I'm quite sure that the snap was a separate piece of the construction, seemed to me to also make it easier to replace if it would ever break.
(similar to the old molded clips and the current screwed on ones)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'm sure I'll be getting at least one Snap-It. Not sure how long it will take me to get used to where the hook is positioned, but I'll likely only use it when fishing or camping.

I bought my first Spyderco Back-Lock in the late 80's, so I have nearly 30 years worth of habit of closing them by pressing my thumb on the lock release, forefinger on the hole in the blade, and rotating it to 90 degrees before moving my fingers out of the way and closing it the rest of the way. That hook looks like it will prevent me closing it that way.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sithus1966 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

If you look at the last 3 pictures the snap looks like a separate piece, not molded. My take on that is you remove the pivot screw and you can take it off if you want.
Agreed with Sithus. That is my thought as well.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sithus1966 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Agreed with Sithus. That is my thought as well.
Yes, the Wichard clip is a separate piece. In fact, at one time, you could buy one attached to a leather fob with a key ring from the folks who make the Snap-It for Spyderco (G Sakai). IIRC, it was called a Fook. :rolleyes: Something tells me Wouter may have (or have had) one or more of them.

As for removing it, I could be wrong, but the pivot seems to be riveted. Even if they use a screw pivot on the production version, you'd probably need to shorten it considerably if you removed the clip. Interference with the blade is minimal, but opening and closing a Snap-It with one's left hand is problematic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Stuart Ackerman Sustain

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Sustain was my favorite new fixed blade design at this year’s Amsterdam Meet. It was a nice large tactical type blade that was also very thin and light. I really liked the ergos, and even though my suburb environment doesn’t provide a clear ‘practical need’ for this design for EDC, I’m still going to get one. I’m sure I’ll find something cool or useful to do with it!

Specifications
Overall Length: 30 cm / 11,81 inches
Blade Length: 16 cm / 6.29 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 208 grams / 7.33 ounces
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Gayle Bradley Packer

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Packer was a cool medium-sized fixed blade that –to me- looked like it would be right at home on a camping trip or picknick table. I thought the Packer would be a very nice flat utility design. I forgot what type of sheath was planned. Personally, I’m hoping for a Boltaron or Kydex sheath.

Specifications
Overall Length: 21,5 cm / 8.46 inches
Blade Length: 10,8 cm / 4.25 inches
Blade Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.09 inches
Weight: 114 grams / 4.02 ounces
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Marcin Slysz SpydieChef

Post by Mr Blonde »

I often use, or test, new folders in the kitchen which is why I’m very anxious to try out this purpose driven design by Marcin Slysz. The SpydieChef sported some cool ergonomics and I’d love to try out the LC200N steel. It’s supposedly almost rust proof, but tempered to offer better edge holding than a plain edge H1 blade.

Specifications
Overall Length: 20 cm / 7.87 inches
Blade Length: 8,5 cm / 3.34 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 107 grams / 3.77 ounces
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

SpydieChef!!!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I can breathe again... :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Like the packer, PSF27 - yes - and will definitely be getting the spydiechef, perfect hole placement and love the blade shape.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."