Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Post by RamZar »

bh49 wrote:
RamZar wrote:Wow to Gayle Bradley TAC 1s with 3.66" blade of CPM-M4, weighing just 3.52 ounces and made in Taiwan!
Did I miss where blade steel info come from?
Blade shape is great. I never was a fan of GB1, but I like GB2 much more. TAC is even better. I can only wish that I would have G10 scales, even the texture on Titanium look great.
Very attractive knife.
CPM-M4 stamped on the blade.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mine is on bearings. I actually like the long flipper tab. Doesn't get in the way in pocket and makes a nice guard.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

paladin wrote:I like the orange peel texture on the metallic scales...are they stainless or Ti?

So far, the Ouroboros & 40AnnvNative are must buys for me....Where is the Native on preorder at?
ti
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Surfingringo wrote:Mine is on bearings. I actually like the long flipper tab. Doesn't get in the way in pocket and makes a nice guard.
Needs to be on bearings.

Low profile flipper tabs do make the folder narrower but larger flipper tabs have key advantages. Mainly, acting as a pronounced guard when open and more leverage for better flipper action.

A steel lock bar insert would've been preferable for lock wear and stickiness. The custom has a layer of coating on the blade around the pivot for corossion resistance. That's well thought out. I know on my ManBug ZDP I got rust around the pivot pretty quick so stopped carrying it for exercising (sweat, humidity, etc.).

Being GB it's only right that it's M4.

The texture on the titanium handles sure look like they give you added traction plus elevate the aesthetics.

Sure looks like pretty thin overall so it should carry well.

This one goes to the top of the stack for me. So much want and need.

I think it needs to be fast-tracked!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Oh man, both the TAC-1 and Magnitude look amazing! The orange-peel and polished Ti on the TAC-1 is tasty.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Really curious on the TAC price point. The GB2 $$$ was a nice surprise, the Mantra $$$ seemed just a tad high (IMHO), and I'm guessing this will be higher.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RamZar wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Mine is on bearings. I actually like the long flipper tab. Doesn't get in the way in pocket and makes a nice guard.
Needs to be on bearings.

Low profile flipper tabs do make the folder narrower but larger flipper tabs have key advantages. Mainly, acting as a pronounced guard when open and more leverage for better flipper action.

A steel lock bar insert would've been preferable for lock wear and stickiness. The custom has a layer of coating on the blade around the pivot for corossion resistance. That's well thought out. I know on my ManBug ZDP I got rust around the pivot pretty quick so stopped carrying it for exercising (sweat, humidity, etc.).

Being GB it's only right that it's M4.

The texture on the titanium handles sure look like they give you added traction plus elevate the aesthetics.

Sure looks like pretty thin overall so it should carry well.

This one goes to the top of the stack for me. So much want and need.

I think it needs to be fast-tracked!
It is notably thinner than the Delica. That coupled with the contoured scales makes it completely disappear in the pocket. The comfort of carry is one of my favorite attributes of this knife.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

abbazaba wrote:Really curious on the TAC price point. The GB2 $$$ was a nice surprise, the Mantra $$$ seemed just a tad high (IMHO), and I'm guessing this will be higher.
I'm guessing a street price (40% off MSRP) of around $250.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote: CPM-M4 stamped on the blade.
thank you
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The GB TAC 1s has several of my favorite characteristics:
My ideal overall length and blade length for EDC, about halfway between the Delica and Endura.
The 3.5 oz weight is ideal for a thin knife of that size.
The thinness and ease of carry is something hard to find in a knife that big.
I've been wanting some thin Ti handles since the Mantra came out.
I really appreciate that they favored terminal clip position over terminal lanyard hole.
(I don't use lanyards and much prefer clip position that allows deepest possible carry.)
I like the bumpy pattern.

But if I wanted to nitpick and demand a knife perfect for me:
Since I started using spydies, I've sort of fixated on blade shapes more like the Delica, Mantra, or R and would probably prefer that if I could get it, even though the more traditional shape of the TAC blade may arguably be more practical. Also, being a lefty, I would like a lock cutout big enough to disengage the lock with my left index finger tip (similar to the Millie frame or liner lock or Tenacious). And I don't need the flipper but wouldn't mind it, and I'd like a choil in front of it and a wire clip :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:I'd love to have scales like that on the standard Nilakka but otherwise I'd rather have a larger Nilakka than a smaller one, and even more than that (and probably more than anything else so far) I'd rather see a Nilakka sprint in Super Blue or 1095 or 52100 etc.
Yes to the HC steel Sprint! I'd only add that lightening the design (handle only please) would also be an attractive feature for that Sprint run.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'd love to have scales like that on the standard Nilakka but otherwise I'd rather have a larger Nilakka than a smaller one, and even more than that (and probably more than anything else so far) I'd rather see a Nilakka sprint in Super Blue or 1095 or 52100 etc.
Yes to the HC steel Sprint! I'd only add that lightening the design (handle only please) would also be an attractive feature for that Sprint run.
I'm not sure how much lighter they can make it really. I suppose the scales can be hogged out a bit more. Have you had a chance to see this one taken apart? It's an amazing sight. You can take the scales off without taking the entire knife apart. One thing I really love about this knife that I think a lot of people just overlook is how the pivot screws are hidden by the handle scales. That's a very unique detail that very few other folders have. It opens up a lot of opportunity for different scale materials and even bolsters without having to change the inner workings of the knife. I love how the scales only have 3 evenly spaced screws in them. It's a really clean design. I think some of that is lost on this new smaller version, I'm a bit let down that the scales don't cover the pivot screws. It would still be pretty easy to make scales for this knife that are much thinner and rounded on the edges and still cover all the screws.

But, I'd be extremely happy with nothing more than a carbon steel sprint. They can make the scales any color they choose.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
brj

Post by brj »

Love the acute tips on Pattada and Lil'Nilakka, think I'll need to get both.
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

Wow, that GB Tac 1s jumped right to the top of my list of things I want! Like right now! Gimme! :eek: :)
QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Surfingringo wrote:You guys have good reason to be stoked for that Bradley Flipper. I've been rocking one for 6 or 8 months and it is an awesome knife! Carries thinner than the Delica and has a good bit more blade. That design is a total homerun!
That is one sweet looking piece. Never saw "two toned" blade like that. How did you land that one? Or is that knife not a Spyderco?
ktsthiep

Re: Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Gayle Bradley TAC 1s

Post by ktsthiep »

Black "cute" spyder on the clip :eek: :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't know... at first look, the TAC 1 just looks like a Kershaw Volt with a Spydie hole to me. I'm sure it's a nice knife, but doesn't stand out as particularly exciting to me.

:bug-red-white
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'm no longer drawn to Spydie flippers, but the Bradley TAC 1s does call me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JT

Post by JT »

SpyderNut wrote: Fortunately, I am thinking that the production model will be able to be modified to allow greater access to the Round Hole from the left side.
Wow, that would be awesome!

Any idea of the steel? Vg-10 I hope ;)
I'm all in no matter what steel, if the hole issue will be solved. For wishlist I'd say, go for smaller, maybe a D-fly wireclip, as others have mentioned.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jalcon wrote: That is one sweet looking piece. Never saw "two toned" blade like that. How did you land that one? Or is that knife not a Spyderco?
Hi Jalcon, that is a custom I had Gayle make me last summer. The black on the blade is an oxidizing process he does to make it more resistant to rust in the pivot area. Kind of like an ultra dark patina.