Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Post by Donut »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Bolster wrote:Cute! But...no concern of the index finger sliding forward onto the blade with the Lil' Lum?

Remove the "e" from the word "cute" and what do you get?
Actual pocket time and use will provide the true answer, but the curved handle did seem to rest nicely in my palm in a forward grip so I'm pretty confident it will be OK.
I carried the other Lums some. With how much the handle is curved, if you are pushing towards the tip, you can push on the rounded end of the handle and not worry about sliding. The design is more impressive in use than it looks.

I will definitely be in for a Little Lum.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

JT wrote:At first glance, I was excited to see the Rhino. Baby Chinook all the way. Second look, I'm like "what the heck!" Why, oh why is that handle ruined? I suppose the designer has never ever met a lefty... why even bother with the LH clip screw holes...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I really hope that the product version(?) will get some refinement, and I'll buy one.

Yeah, neat design, cool rhino blade... I actually like the somewhat smaller design.
But, I am just turned off a little by designs with Spyderholes that are occluded on one side.
And I'm not even a lefty.
Going back to Caly.
bchan

Post by bchan »

swigert wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:The Rhino looks really cool. I wish it was bigger.
My thoughts exactly.
Me too.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Wow!! The Rhino is awesome, like a lil' (but fiesty) nephew of the Chinook, I love the contour on the edges of the G-10 looks super comfy great job Spyderco :spyder:
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JT wrote:At first glance, I was excited to see the Rhino. Baby Chinook all the way. Second look, I'm like "what the heck!" Why, oh why is that handle ruined? I suppose the designer has never ever met a lefty... why even bother with the LH clip screw holes...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I really hope that the product version(?) will get some refinement, and I'll buy one.

Looks good to me but I'm a righty :rolleyes:

I agree with LC Kid though about the clip. Too big. Not sure if a wire clip is necessary. Maybe just a smaller version of the one on it now? The Lil' Lum looks like it could use the same treatment too.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

OOOOOO I like that Reinhold Rhino. I have got to get one. When are they coming out?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

RamZar wrote:The new Rubicon G-10/CF laminate is a much better and less expensive EDC. Thinner and the sharp edges on the backspacer gone.

What's the blade steel on the Reinhold Rhino and where will it be made?

ATR S30V G-10 is a must to join my SS one from 2006!

Due to the white background some detail in some pictures get whited-out!

I had that problem at first with the HP Elitebook laptop I'm using, then I noticed that pushing the screen back to a wider angle really increased the contrast between the knives and background, replacing the whiteness of the knives with a silvery gray color, totally eliminating the problem. I know this will vary with every type of device and YMMV, but I was very surprised at the difference it made with mine.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpaceInvader

Post by SpaceInvader »

Like the Rhino. Handle length is nearly the same as the Chaparral; take away most of the ricasso of the Chaparral and stretch the index finger groove. Echoes of the Lil Temp not just from the blade but also the fatter handle end, albeit with a single finger groove instead of two. Thanks for the pics.

-Rick
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I waiting eagerly for the next day's offerings... :)
Last edited by Stuart Ackerman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ktsthiep

Post by ktsthiep »

Reinhold Rhino is very cute. I want :eek: :p
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I'm thinking I need a second Rubicon.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So is it the Rubicon 2 or replacing the current one? Or will they both be available and called the Rubicon?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I would like to start things off by offering my sincere gratitude to Sal, Eric, Rebecca, and the wonderful Spyderco Crew for granting me the collaborative opportunity with the Reinhold Rhino. This is the honor of a lifetime. As a part-time knifemaker, I have dreamt about doing a custom collaboration with Spyderco for quite some time. It has been a genuine pleasure working with Spyderco on this project.

I am very pleased with Spyderco’s production prototype of the Rhino. They did a fantastic job crafting it according to the original prototype. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the final version. :)

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions thus far. I hope it will be a useful design for those interested.

With gratitude,
Michael Reinhold

Last edited by SpyderNut on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Ah, cool the maker himself reports, congratulations on this collaboration :) Isn't that clip a bit oversized on the Rhino? I remember it felt a bit too much for such a small knife......
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

SpyderNut wrote:I would like to start things off by offering my sincere gratitude to Sal, Eric, Rebecca, and the wonderful Spyderco Crew for granting me the collaborative opportunity with the Reinhold Rhino. This is the honor of a lifetime. As a part-time knifemaker, I have dreamt about doing a custom collaboration with Spyderco for quite some time. It has been a genuine pleasure working with Spyderco on this project.

I am very pleased with Spyderco’s production prototype of the Rhino. They did a fantastic job crafting it according to the original prototype. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the final version. :)

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions thus far. I hope it will be a useful design for those interested.

With gratitude,
Michael Reinhold

That is awesome news, Michael!
So glad for you, and seems it is creating some buzz!!

Any chance you tried any protos without the little middle ridge covering the Spyderhole?
I could see how it might allow your index finger to slide back though... but just wondering for those lefties out there, or right-hand middle finger openers who may want to mod it...
Going back to Caly.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

DougC-3 wrote:
RamZar wrote:Due to the white background some detail in some pictures get whited-out!
I had that problem at first with the HP Elitebook laptop I'm using, then I noticed that pushing the screen back to a wider angle really increased the contrast between the knives and background, replacing the whiteness of the knives with a silvery gray color, totally eliminating the problem. I know this will vary with every type of device and YMMV, but I was very surprised at the difference it made with mine.
Thanks for the feedback. You see, I'm an amateur and I can only use a fixed set-up with the lights etc..., as 70 knives fly past and eager knifeknuts wait to get a second look at the prototypes when I'm done. There's no time to re-adjust the settings for each photo or knife, so I aim to shoot for a good average and then try to get every angle. I always keep experimenting with new techniques and equipment though, so hopefully I can get this resolved by next year.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Oh, Spring is in the air! Thanks for this celebration, Mr. Blonde.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Ladybug HAP 40

Post by Mr Blonde »

This little cutter was tough to photograph for me at the meet. Still, I think I got some good shots in there, but others didn’t turn out as well as I hoped. I just love the fact that Spyderco seems to be the only company to put such a steel in what many consider to be ‘just a keychain knife’. Kind of like putting a Ferrari engine in a Mini Cooper.

Specifications
Overall Length: 11,1 cm / 4.37 inches
Blade Length: 4,8 cm / 1.88 inches
Blade Thickness: 2 mm / 0.07 inches
Weight: 20 grams / 0.70 ounces
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2016 Production Sample – Pattada

Post by Mr Blonde »

This knife kept wanting to roll away from my lens and into the wrong angle for my lights. It was a very lightweight knife with surprising good ergonomics, for such a ‘straight’ design. This sample had a burr on the tip, but the Pattada is a very cool slender blade with the proverbial needle-like tip.

Specifications
Overall Length: 22 cm / 8.67 inches
Blade Length: 9,9 cm / 3.90 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,5 mm / 0.13 inches
Weight: 119 grams / 4.2 ounces
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

toomzz wrote:Ah, cool the maker himself reports, congratulations on this collaboration :) Isn't that clip a bit oversized on the Rhino? I remember it felt a bit too much for such a small knife......
Thank you for the kind words, toomzz. The original model featured a stamped clip as shown, but I recall Eric saying that they would consider using a wire clip instead of the stamped clip (shown) for the reasons you mentioned. Perhaps Sal or Eric could weigh in on this as well.

SpeedHoles wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:That is awesome news, Michael!
So glad for you, and seems it is creating some buzz!!

Any chance you tried any protos without the little middle ridge covering the Spyderhole?
I could see how it might allow your index finger to slide back though... but just wondering for those lefties out there, or right-hand middle finger openers who may want to mod it...
Thank you, sir. :) I am eager to hear what people think about the Rhino and welcome any feedback they would like to share.

As for the middle "ridge" (or hump) on the handle, I originally considered making it without the hump. In the end, however, the lack of the hump essentially disturbed the ergonomics--because, as you mentioned, the lack of the hump allowed the index finger to slide back into the recessed area. Although the Round Hole is fairly occluded from the left side, I am still able to open the blade using my left thumb with a little practice. The Rhino is a compact design that actually feels pretty comfortable in-hand.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal