Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

Post by bh49 »

demoncase wrote:The ATR will be mine...to sit next to the blacked-out VG10 one in the collection
I had few SS/VG10 ATRs. All of them were sitting in the drawers of my desk or display case. I never carried one one of them only once and all because somebody who is also knife guy, who carried Chinook said that ATR is really intimidating.
This new baby will be carried and used. I cannot wait to put new ATR in my pocket.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mr Blonde wrote: Sorry mate, the D'Allara was shown, but it's not on the list of knives I can share. That means it's likely a bit too far from actual release, compared to the prototypes I can show.
I am so jealous. Why we do not have NE meet. I am willing to drive 4-5 hours in any direction, except ocean :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bolster wrote:Thanks for the great photos, W. I've decided to buy an Ouroboros just based on your photos and description!
Wouter does this to me all the time. I almost place an order for HAP D-fly, but realized that one of them already sitting on my desk. :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote: Sorry mate, the D'Allara was shown, but it's not on the list of knives I can share. That means it's likely a bit too far from actual release, compared to the prototypes I can show.
I am so jealous. Why we do not have NE meet. I am willing to drive 4-5 hours in any direction, except ocean :)
Amen to that, Roman. ;) I will pick you up on my way to the NE. :D

That Lil' Lum is fantastic. I cannot wait to get one!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not sure about Lil Lum, but Ourobos is growing on me after Wouter's pictures. I think that I have a thing for little knives.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote: Amen to that, Roman. ;) I will pick you up on my way to the NE. :D
Michael,
I am on NE :) , but I do not mind, if you will pick me up. Just come couple days in advance :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Amen to that, Roman. ;) I will pick you up on my way to the NE. :D
Michael,
I am on NE :) , but I do not mind, if you will pick me up. Just come couple days in advance :D
You bet. :) We can stop at a few Cracker Barrels along the way, I hope. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DougC-3

Re: Ouroboros Rocks!

Post by DougC-3 »

LC Kid wrote: ...- Really love the Lil' Lum, right since I first saw it, but this clip is just so out of context... Am I the only one who thinks it'd be awesome to give it a short wire clip, like in the D'Fly or in the Ouroboros? :rolleyes:
- And the Ouroboros is just amazing! The whole package in a compact size. Long Live LBK! Can see it riding my pocket like pronto. :D
I agree about the wire clip, in fact there are many spydies I'd like to see with a discrete deep-carry wire clip. With the Lil' Lum they may lean toward the current style to maintain the family resemblance.

And I can't wait for the Ouroboros!! I pre-ordered one almost three weeks ago. For me, it'll be a discrete second or third knife or EDC with a decent and cool looking blade that could be carried or used in almost any setting... not to mention the amazing open and closed design, how that substantial "broadleaf" blade can fold into that sleek oval package.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:
it is just 12 mile away from my home. Also keep in the mind that New Haven, CT is a home of the best pizza (Frank Pepe
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/b ... -the-us/20) and any Italian, Latin American, Japanese and any other food & drinks :) . May be even Sal and Eric will join us :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
it is just 12 mile away from my home. Also keep in the mind that New Haven, CT is a home of the best pizza (Frank Pepe
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/b ... -the-us/20) and any Italian, Latin American, Japanese and any other food & drinks :) . May be even Sal and Eric will join us :D
Excellent! That sounds wonderful! :D :) :D :)

paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Thanks for all the kind words about the Ouroboros design. And many thanks to Wouter for the amazing portrayal.
(I'm particularly fond of that V-shot)

- Paul
timlara

Post by timlara »

+1 for the Ouroboros! It really looks like an ideal small EDC design. Definitely the knife to beat for me this year. Nice work, Paul!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

So in for a g10 ATR! Is it confirmed to be s30v?
bchan

Post by bchan »

demoncase wrote:
The current run of Delicas and Enduras drop the spine about 1/2" from the point.
The original ones I fell in love with are a straight spine from the thumb ramp all the way to the point:
Hello demoncase, I didn't noticed the small drop until you mentioned this. Is there a functional reason behind this change, or is it purely aesthetics?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Popsickle wrote:So in for a g10 ATR! Is it confirmed to be s30v?
It's confirmed, Spyderco will now be shipping US made steels to Japan :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bchan wrote:
demoncase wrote:
The current run of Delicas and Enduras drop the spine about 1/2" from the point.
The original ones I fell in love with are a straight spine from the thumb ramp all the way to the point:
Hello demoncase, I didn't noticed the small drop until you mentioned this. Is there a functional reason behind this change, or is it purely aesthetics?
I seem to recall it was tip strength improvement was mentioned by Sal and the team way back when the E4 came out....Which it almost certainly does, as there's definitely more metal there now.

But this is one of those 'heart over head' things for me, and I can happily sacrifice a bit of tip strength for the 'cleaner' line down the spine ;)

Your mileage may, of course, vary :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I agree with you about those straight spines Demon. Part of why I like the Police's blade so much.

Does anyone know what the backspacer material is on the Ouroboros?

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I love how, every year, this thread brings out older members from the days of yore who seldom post.

Also,
Johnnie1801 wrote:
Popsickle wrote:So in for a g10 ATR! Is it confirmed to be s30v?
It's confirmed, Spyderco will now be shipping US made steels to Japan :)
Another feather in Spyderco's cap -- reversing the flow of steel across the Pacific! ;) :D

paulwa wrote:Thanks for all the kind words about the Ouroboros design. And many thanks to Wouter for the amazing portrayal.
(I'm particularly fond of that V-shot)

- Paul
I think Wouter must be fond of that shot too, since he included two copies ;)

bh49 wrote:

...CT is a home of the best pizza (Frank Pepe
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/b ... -the-us/20) and any Italian, Latin American, Japanese and any other food & drinks :) . May be even Sal and Eric will join us :D...
You don't suppose they would mail order one of those clam pizzas to the southeast? :confused: :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

demoncase wrote:
bchan wrote:
demoncase wrote:
I seem to recall it was tip strength improvement was mentioned by Sal and the team way back when the E4 came out....Which it almost certainly does, as there's definitely more metal there now.

But this is one of those 'heart over head' things for me, and I can happily sacrifice a bit of tip strength for the 'cleaner' line down the spine ;)

Your mileage may, of course, vary :D
Also, Surfingringo has shown that the spine can be straightened in about 20 minutes with sand paper (220 grit ?)... but if the hump wasn't there, it would be hard to add it ;)

Edit: I think the "20 minutes" was with H-1 steel. Might take longer with harder steels :)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Fantastic job again as always Wouter! Thanks for your time and effort bringing these pics to us!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)