Help with Dragonfly2 pivot replacement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mp31x

Help with Dragonfly2 pivot replacement

Post by mp31x »

Hi all I finally got the pivot out of my DF2. I have carried it for a while and it developed some blade play (side to side). My knife OCD could not take this lol. I have the older style DF2 that does not have the D shape in the FRN so the pivot just spun and it took some time and tricks to get it out.

The D bolt in the image is what I would like to replace with a pivot with Torx heads on both sides.

The replacement pivot does not need to be a D bolt because I have the old style DF2.

I will be scale swapping but I would still like a better way to adjust this when the other blade goes back in.

On knife part websites they sell the barrel and then I could get a screw for each side but a 2 part one would be nicer.

I hope someone has some info about this I will continue to look and update what I find and how it turns out.

Thanks for the help.
SpyderNut

Re: Help with Dragonfly2 pivot replacement

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your Dragonfly. In all honesty, I would personally package it up as-is and send it to the SFO's Warranty and Repair Dept. with note regarding the issue. It really isn't worth the risk of injury when it comes to a potential lock failure. Hope this helps!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Same D shape that it look I do not have (or do not have anymore) in my H1 SE (buy new) and my ZDP 189 (2nd hand)
I try with hot water, it didn't work.
The H1 also have lot's of blade play... It's the only one that get so much.
Can't send it back in the USA. I'm afraid it may be "cheaper" to buy a new one.

:/
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

I think the part you're looking for is what I know as an "Interscrew". For example ..

Although I don't know where you'd get the size/type you're looking for, having a possible name for the item might help you search.

All the best, Tony S
---------
Tony S
awa54

Post by awa54 »

does the H1 D'fly have washers between the scales and blade? If it doesn't then adding some (or thicker ones if it does) might fix your blade slop issue without having to do a handle swap.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Donut

Post by Donut »

The dragonfly I bought dyed, the guy cut a notch in the other side so he could get it back together.

It isn't SUPER pretty, but I don't mind it.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi mp31 and welcome to the forum. The Salt knives are a little tricky this way. The D-shaped hole is cut into the liners of the frn knives. Since the salts are linerless, the bolt (as you have found) just spins freely in the round hole of the frn. The easiest workaround is to simply put side pressure or spine pressure on the blade while doing the last bit of tightening. This puts enough pressure on the bolt to isolate it and allow the screw to be loosened or tightened. I've done it many times and works fine. Change the hardware if you like but its not really necessary.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I agree with Lance, just put pressure on the pivot while you're tightening it and you'll be able to sufficiently grab the barrel to be able to tighten it fully. Its not easy but it's doable. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I try this method and other and both H1 and ZDP189 D'Fly still have the screws stuck :/
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D